HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boedker recalled from San Antonio

Old
11-03-2009, 05:04 PM
knowsthegame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
We're 17% of the way through the season. We shouldn't be writing anyone off.
Agreed. I would love to see Mueller and Korpikoski score some goals.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 05:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
Agreed. I would love to see Mueller and Korpikoski score some goals.
I think we can all agree on that.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Lombardi was taking faceoffs last night. If Lombardi is injured I can't wait until he's healthy. He's been our best offensive forward besides Shane Doan this season.

Loving the 4th line....Pyatt is really doing better and both Fiddler & Winnik are towards the top of the score sheet.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

I don't get it. Boedker has 1 goal, 3 assists, and just 15 shots in 7 games with SA. He's also a -3, with the team low at -4. Why not call up Porter or even Kolarik?

I'm a huge Boedker fan, but how is he the best choice for a call-up right now?

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
RR

Quote:
Agreed. I thought he was very impressive at taking away passing lanes and causing turnovers, last night. He looked so excited to be on the Doan/Hanzal line, too. It showed in the offensive zone. The guy just turned twenty three and this is only his second season in the NHL. He's spent a couple of years in the AHL and showed significant improvement from the one season to the next. Maloney saw enough in him to take him in the first round, and then later trade Enver Lisin for him. I think he's at least worth a look. Certainly no sense in waiving him without ever giving him a real chance.
I think people also forget he was brought in to play in the bottom six specifically for his defensive skills and speed. If his offense develops, great. But even if he ends up a solid defender and special team player who chips in only 20 points a season he's well worth it for the offensive chances of opponents he kills.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 05:34 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
I don't get it. Boedker has 1 goal, 3 assists, and just 15 shots in 7 games with SA. He's also a -3, with the team low at -4. Why not call up Porter or even Kolarik?

He was successful in the first few games using his speed to draw penalties, so maybe the idea all along was to send him down to get some offensive confidence and bring him back.

Old
11-03-2009, 05:39 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Lombardi was taking faceoffs last night. If Lombardi is injured I can't wait until he's healthy. He's been our best offensive forward besides Shane Doan this season.

Loving the 4th line....Pyatt is really doing better and both Fiddler & Winnik are towards the top of the score sheet.
Yup. The Doan/hanzal pair and the "4th" line have been the best in the last few games. Even last night, what little pressure we had was from one of those 2.

The problem is our other two 2nd lines havent been doing anything of late. It's difficult because with so many 2nd/3rd lines, and no real 1st line to count on, there are going to be times when we dont get any production. Last night was so painful because there wasn't even any effort.

Is it possible the team is having flu problems? I know nothing has been reported, but doan had the flu a while ago? Entirely speculative.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
He was successful in the first few games using his speed to draw penalties, so maybe the idea all along was to send him down to get some offensive confidence and bring him back.
How does 1 goal in 7 games give him confidence?

Old
11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Agreed. Also too our team has been taking too many penaltys (stupid ones too) as of last. Hopefully having Boedker back will have the Yotes on the PP more especially since our PP is better than last season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:06 AM
nooch

Forward Mikkel Boedker was recalled from San Antonio of the AHL. The 19-year-old appeared in five games with the Coyotes and got the call because Scottie Upshall has a lower-body injury and is day to day.
"It's never fun to be sent down, but it was a good opportunity for me to play a lot, and I'm really happy with my play down there," he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...esavs1104.html

This would explain the call-up. And Boedker plays LW, not sure what position Porter plays. Also is Porter also playing on a line with Turris?

nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:09 AM
RR

Quote:
How does 1 goal in 7 games give him confidence?
I'm sure 4 points and significant ice time in 7 games was more beneficial than what he was getting here to start the season. And if his play had not significantly improved we would see Porter or someone else here.

Old
11-04-2009, 02:13 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooch View Post
Forward Mikkel Boedker was recalled from San Antonio of the AHL. The 19-year-old appeared in five games with the Coyotes and got the call because Scottie Upshall has a lower-body injury and is day to day.
"It's never fun to be sent down, but it was a good opportunity for me to play a lot, and I'm really happy with my play down there," he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...esavs1104.html

This would explain the call-up. And Boedker plays LW, not sure what position Porter plays. Also is Porter also playing on a line with Turris?
Porter is a center. I believe most nights in SA he centers a line with Tikhonov and Hoggan as his wings.

Old
11-04-2009, 03:19 AM
nooch

Quote:
Porter is a center. I believe most nights in SA he centers a line with Tikhonov and Hoggan as his wings.
Thanks for the info.

nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:37 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooch View Post
Thanks for the info.
you're welcome. next time TT says, "why not Porter?" you can remind him Hanzal, Lang, Lombo, or Fids has to get hurt -- knock on wood, please no -- for KP to get the call up.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:06 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:

He's been the second best forward for the Rampage since going down. Only Turris has been better. The whole team is struggling right now so looking at just his stats is a bit misleading. It's hard to play 1 on 3 all the time.

Porter is a Center, so that makes no sense and Kolarik has been awful since the first week of the season. I am a huge Kolarik mark, but he has been invisible for the better part of 3 weeks.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
yakko

Quote:
you're welcome. next time TT says, "why not Porter?" you can remind him Hanzal, Lang, Lombo, or Fids has to get hurt -- knock on wood, please no -- for KP to get the call up.
I don't think Kevin Porter has played center for even a single shift in the NHL. He definitely played some center in college and I can easily believe he does in the AHL but a center spot does not have to open for Kevin Porter to get called up.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Mueller wasn't any good before the concussion last season. Korpikoski finally had a good game, and then followed it up with a very good game. He finally has some confidence and is playing impressively. We're only fourteen games in. It's going to take some time. Also, we can't afford to pay all of these guys their NHL salaries. It doesn't make any sense to have three healthy scratches a game. Guys like Boedker and Porter are probably getting paid at least ten times more in the NHL than they are in the AHL. Neither Korpikoski or Mueller can be sent down without passing through waivers. If waived, both would certainly be claimed.
I thought that if a player is on their ELC and has played less than 180 NHL games they can be sent down without passing through waivers. http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8473526 Mueller has 165 NHL games.
Please advise if I understand this incorrectly.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:27 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I don't think Kevin Porter has played center for even a single shift in the NHL. He definitely played some center in college and I can easily believe he does in the AHL but a center spot does not have to open for Kevin Porter to get called up.
Agreed. I think Porter has played a few shifts at center, but he's mostly played the wing in the NHL. He has plenty of experience on the LW.

Boedker, on the other hand, plays RW (not LW).

A player's listed position has less to do with his being called up than his performance in the A. If Double Nickel's assessment that Boeds has been playing very well in the A is correct, then that explains his call-up. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's a LW (which he's not).