HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Quick question about icing

Old
11-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Quick question about icing

Let me start by saying I'm not stupid and asking about the general rule.

Now say you're in your zone and the opposing team has the puck. If they try to pass it to the point and you just barely get a piece of it and just redirect it away from the defenseman, would that be icing? I never thought it would be because you never get possession of the puck and I figured it'd be like if you happened to block a shot so hard that it goes down to the opposite end without anybody else touching it. I drew a little diagram below to help describe it better:

Say I'm the circle and the X at the goal line is passing to the X at the point. I just barely read it in time to get in the way but couldn't stop it. I redirected it just enough to make the defenseman miss the puck. I figured the play would keep going but I flew down the ice for no reason since the ref called it icing. I actually asked my teammates after the game and nobody knew so I figured this would be the right place to ask.

I never even thought of this until last week when it happened to me at hockey and the only reason I'm asking now is because it happened again twice today. In all my time playing hockey, it's only happened 3 times and it was in the past 2 weeks.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
K-PAX*

I'm almost 100 percent sure redirecting the puck, at least in a non-controlled fashion, is not icing.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Unless you have full control and are the one who sends it down the ice, it's not icing. So blocking a shot or getting a piece of a pass wouldn't be blown down for icing.

Silver91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Frankie Spankie

That's what I thought, thanks.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:45 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Rule 81 - Icing

81.1 Icing – For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player or goalkeeper of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped.

Yeah it's icing.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
pike51

Send a message via Yahoo to pike51
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Rule 81 - Icing

81.1 Icing For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player or goalkeeper of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped.

Yeah it's icing.
Ding ding ding... we have a winner. Technically deflecting the puck IS icing. Basically, you were the one who caused the change of direction so you caused the "icing". Much in the same way that if you deflect a slap shot up and out of play, the face-off is inside the zone. However, if the shot goes directly out of play or deflects off an opposing player, the face-off is outside the zone.

pike51 is offline   Reply With Quote