HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 13 | Boston Bruins @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:00 PM EST | TSN (HD), VERSUS (HD) |

Old
11-04-2009, 03:40 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
for the 1st few games, maltby and draper were the leading scorers, but now it is back to normal.

datsyuk, zetterberg and homer all have 10p or more.

maltby and draper are 10th and 11th on the team in scoring.

all regular players have at least 1g.

also interesting is that samuelsson has 8g, 6a

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Cleary and Williams have been average at even strength. And thats more an indication of the players they are than how they're playing. They're two guys who thrive in certain situations, and a top 6 role at even strength facing tough defenders isn't one of them. Cleary has zero playmaking skills and Williams simply isn't tough enough on the puck. The combination makes that 2nd line a bit of a cluster****.
i think you are right.

zetterberg looked better a few games ago when he played with datsyuk. he also looked more dangerous later in the game when he and datsyuk were playing together.
williams has not added anything to that line, imo. cleary has not been playing poorly, but he also has not been playing very well.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Good game. Red Wings are getting into form.
Ozzy with a solid performance; that is what this team needs.

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
It was mentioned before but Bertuzzi's behind-the-back-no-look-drop-passes are going to cost the Wings some goals. He's done it his entire career and did it a bunch last year in Calgary.

They look nice when they work, but they almost killed us twice last night.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I think Janik helped give them a steady hand back there on the 3rd pair. Kronwall and Stuart are looking for the big hit a lot of the time. Lebda seems to often look to jump up the ice and use his speed (sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not). Ericsson and Meech try to do too much sometimes, probably trying to establish themselves.

Janik tonight looked like a veteran player just coming in to fill a hole, keep it simple, and play safe. That's what they needed. For those who thought Kindl would be the better choice, he probably would not have brought stability. Not to say that Janik is the next Rory or anything, but he did give them 14 good safe, solid minutes. We haven't been able to say that about a whole lot of Wings' dmen lately.
Great report on Janik, sarcastro. Couldn't watch the game myself and I've been keen to hear how he looked out there.

GuloGulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:24 AM
12YearExtension

I wasn't giving a raving report on how Bertuzzi played, he made some boneheaded plays, obviously.

I just never liked the guy much before, but am becoming a fan of his, and kind of cheering for him to create a niche on this team.

Is that alright? Can't I cheer for someone even if they have a mediocre game?

12YearExtension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
I meant 5 on 5 for Leino.
I know, but my point is that we have to put Williams somewhere. Williams won't get benched because Babcock wants him on the second PP unit. And I can't see Williams being worth anything in the bottom six - he's not fast enough, he's not physical enough, he's not anything enough. So, until we get healthier, I think he's pretty much locked into that top6 spot.

Which locks Leino into the bottom6 somewhere. Maybe Babcock will switch things around but we've now had two good games in a row and we all know how Babcock is occasionally reluctant to change.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Nordic*

If you want to give Leino some confidence, give hime some time with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

If you put him anywhere else you might just waive/bench him cause he doesn't serve a purpose.

Btw, is Z still injured? He's really struggling with his skating, looks like wearing a couple of bricks.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:25 AM
14ari13

2 wins giving up just 1 goal. Not bad.
The Wings played some solid defence lately and it obviously helped Osgood look great. Though Osgood made some fantastic saves and the pipes were there to help when needed.
I also think Datsyuk made a great play pushing Sturm so he hit the pipe instead of net.

Now it is a real big game vs the Sharks.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:57 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
If you want to give Leino some confidence, give hime some time with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

If you put him anywhere else you might just waive/bench him cause he doesn't serve a purpose.

Btw, is Z still injured? He's really struggling with his skating, looks like wearing a couple of bricks.
Not only that but I noticed him wincing out there quite a bit. He probably is but would rather be playing than sitting.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:00 PM
14ari13

I did not see the game and I do not have time to download it and watch it so I would appreciate very much if some posters would say how this guy Janik played.
Lebda played about 20 min and Janik around 13. Meech played less than Janik.

Old
11-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I did not see the game and I do not have time to download it and watch it so I would appreciate very much if some posters would say how this guy Janik played.
Lebda played about 20 min and Janik around 13. Meech played less than Janik.
I saw 2 periods.. You hardly even noticed him, which is a good sign.

He played easy and didn't try nothing out of his skill-level.

Did just fine, I'd rather have him than both Meech and Lebda.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Tomas W

Good to see Ozzy getting a shutout. Dats and Z seems to be on the rise as well, thats exactly what DRW needs. + solid PK etc etc.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:35 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Is it me, or did the Wings get kicked out of every single 1st period faceoff, then someone reminded the refs that the Wings were the home team and the B's had to get their sticks down first, and after that it was more or less fair?

I went to verify on NHL.com and man, has their gameday coverage ever gone into the toilet. They used to have really good shift charts and faceoff stats, but now it's just total garbage. Ugh.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Is it me, or did the Wings get kicked out of every single 1st period faceoff, then someone reminded the refs that the Wings were the home team and the B's had to get their sticks down first, and after that it was more or less fair?
I wish I had the numbers on how often the Wings have been tossed out of the faceoff circle compared to the average NHL squad since the '08 playoffs. It seems to happen absurdly frequently sometimes, like they're the only team in the league that cheats in the circle.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:55 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
I wish I had the numbers on how often the Wings have been tossed out of the faceoff circle compared to the average NHL squad since the '08 playoffs. It seems to happen absurdly frequently sometimes, like they're the only team in the league that cheats in the circle.
It was supposed to get better this season with the linesmen supposedly no longer allowed to try and trick the teams into jumping before the actual drop with their various release points, hide-the-puck games, fake drops, and other nonsense. I'm not sure it's any better.

How long before the Wings start putting defensemen in for the 1st draw so that when they get tossed, they'll still have their best guy in there to take the 2nd?

Why do so many refs in sports feel the need to be Leslie Nielsen from The Naked Gun? Nobody has ever attended a sporting event to watch the refs. Nobody cares. Drop the damn puck. Makes me think of Father Pat from Semi-Pro - "Number seven, two shots, WITH THE BODY!!!"

Umpires in baseball are the worst. It's been clearly proven that a video camera can do their job faster and infinitely more accurately without giving preferential treatment to anyone, but for some reason we still have to watch these egomaniacs call strike on a pitch 2 feet outside, yet call ball on a pitch right down the middle because the catcher had to move his glove too far. Ridiculous.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I haven't seen any real difference in how the Wings are being treated in the faceoff compared to last season. It seems we get tossed a lot and then the linesman drops the puck before the next guy is even set. Probably just the blind homer in me but I think we get ripped on a lot of faceoffs.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

I went to verify on NHL.com and man, has their gameday coverage ever gone into the toilet. They used to have really good shift charts and faceoff stats, but now it's just total garbage. Ugh.

I'm sure that some other GM or GM's complained leading up to the playoffs. As the defending champ, they had the bull's eye on their back. Just like the complaints about the octopus tossing to take the crowd out of the home game. Then there's obstruction interference, crease crashing...... and Homer.

Old
11-05-2009, 12:49 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I haven't seen any real difference in how the Wings are being treated in the faceoff compared to last season. It seems we get tossed a lot and then the linesman drops the puck before the next guy is even set. Probably just the blind homer in me but I think we get ripped on a lot of faceoffs.
The Wings got tossed a lot in the 1st period.

Datsyuk had a monster game. He was by far the best player on the ice.