HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opponents record gives standings MUCH more meaning...

Old
11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500

I posted this on the main boards but I don't really know any of the posts other than ranger postsers so I figured I would bring it here.. were I actually care what you guys have to say.

Alright, so every year is a fight for the top seed in a teamís respective conference. By the end of the year all we have is Wins, Loses and OTL. These points accumulated over the course of the season help us; the fans and the league determine their 'rank' among their respective division, conference, league. But like everything in life, there are flaws. The flaws for these standings are every team does not play the same teams the same number of times. There is no control group and because of this, one can not properly rank these teams accordingly. It just wouldn't be accurate for obvious reasons. There are, however, tools to help us structure these rankings to get as accurate as possible. Point %, PP and PK%'s, GF, GA you get the picture... But like the record of these teams, these stats too are inflated or deflated dependant on the other team's PK, PP etc etc.

I propose the league have a few tools to help us get a grasp of what these stats are truly telling us.

A)It's been brought up before from me and others on these forms. Combined Opponent Record(COR). This would truly help people come to terms with the standings.

Team A. 10 wins-5loses-2OTL-22 points.
Team B. 08 wins-7loses-2OTL-18 points.
-At first glance one would immediately tell you A is the better team. But what if I now gave you Combined opponent records.

Team A. 10 wins-5loses-2OTL-22 points.(C.O.R - 34wins-72loses-18OTL)
Team B. 08 wins-7loses-2OTL-18 points..(C.O.R - 69wins-47loses-8OTL)

I would rethink my previous statement. I would put a little more weight in team B being the better team. Team A did win more games but it's not the point. Hell, The Thrashers could get upwards of 40+wins playings the islanders and maple leafs of the league 20-30 times a year. (No offense to the maple leaf fans but lets face it, you guys suck right now.)

B)Combined Opponent PP and PK. This would help us understand how good/bad team A or B's PP/PK really is.
Like above,

Team A) PP is at 20%, PK is at 85%
Team B) PP is at 18%, PK is at 83%
Team A certainly has the better PP and PK. Right? Anyone who said otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.
Now, lets add in the Combined opponent's PP/PK and see where we are.

Team A) PP is at 20%, PK is at 85%.
Team A's combined opponents PP% was 16%, PK at 86%
Team B) PP is at 18%, PK is at 83%
Team B's combined opponents PP% was 22%, PK was at 80%.

One could make the case that Team A has a far superior PP%. Much closer than the stats would suggest. However, Like I said about the records, It puts more weight in the fact that Team B's PK could conceivably be better than Team A's. So, why not have that stat in the standings? It makes little to no sense why the league would chose to leave out such a vital stat. Yes, Vital. It could also be used to determain ties among teams with the same amounts of points and wins. Give the higher seed or whether or not a teams going home early or sticking around for the playoffs based on the harder schedule.

Anyways, It's just food for thought. Something worth wrapping your mind around.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

OVERLOAD !

Kudos to ya for all that, but man, this is going a bit too far. Why not another column for wins against teams with most games lost due to injury - its a helpful stat, but why go through all that?? Get what i'm saying?

In the end, i'm happy with how our standings are determined.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
OVERLOAD !

Kudos to ya for all that, but man, this is going a bit too far. Why not another column for wins against teams with most games lost due to injury - its a helpful stat, but why go through all that?? Get what i'm saying?

In the end, i'm happy with how our standings are determined.
haha.
Only if it took into account what line the player played on and if he was previously on a cold or hot streak..

Im j/k, in reality i just love stats haha. I always look at them looking for corilations and what not. Makes me wonder why I am doing marketing and not statistics. Sorry about the overload. I took an aderoll because I have 350pages, a 4 page paper and a presentation to prepare for thats due tommorrow and I got sidetracked in work mode.

I really do think it is an essential stat though. The record is just a meaningless number if you don't take into account the teams played.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote