HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#17 - 11.05.09 | New York Rangers @ Edmonton Oilers | 9:30 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
11-05-2009, 11:46 PM
morffin

vCash: 500
Enough with the Renney bashing ... the guy sucked as a bench coach .. let the team get lazy .. but he did a lot of good things for this org. He helped set up the scouting system the Rangers have in place now ... he played a major role in the transformation of this franchise....and he's a class act as well.

I dont get all the hate towards Tom.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:46 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
If there is an Amnesty Buyout this offseason.

Redden or Drury?
drury. redden is playing very well and if we can get a top player in FA like we did with gabs then we have a real good shot at the cup with henke gabby and whoever we brought in.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:49 PM
trilobyte

No hate for Mr. Renney from me. He did some good things, but thankfully we have a new coach. I was waiting for that, and it happened.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:

Redden or Drury?
I'd say Drury because Redden doesn't have a nmc. You can send him down to the minors. But if they never have any intention of doing this, it changes my answer.

(His contract is longer though). Redden Is also a better player at his position than Drury is at his imo

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

Redden or Drury?
Such a stupid post.

Why would we buy out our best defenseman?

We would clearly buy out Captain Intangibles.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:51 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
No hate for Mr. Renney from me. He did some good things, but thankfully we have a new coach. I was waiting for that, and it happened.
Same here... I didnt like him as a coach and glad he was replaced... but I dont get all the hatred aimed at him.... the guy showed nothing but class while he was here... and did a lot for this franchise.

Old
11-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Such a stupid post.

Why would we buy out our best defenseman?

We would clearly buy out Captain Intangibles.
I agree that Drury is the answer, but there is no way that Redden is our best defenseman.

Del Zotto is already a better all around dman, and so is Staal.

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Redden or Drury?
Tough choice.

Redden has played well this season. Not worthy of a 6.5M contract, but he's competed, and hasn't made many significant mistakes.

Drury's play this season, has been crap. He's a third-liner who forgot how to operate in the offensive zone.

Considering the strength's and weakness's of our organization, I still think you gotta buyout Redden, assuming there is an Amnesty buyout this off-season.. Wade's contract is longer, and slightly harder to swallow.

I don't think any current Ranger will get bought out though. Not even if the NHL blesses us with a Get out of jail free card...

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Tough choice.

Redden has played well this season. Not worthy of a 6.5M contract, but he's competed, and hasn't made many significant mistakes.

Drury's play this season, has been crap. He's a third-liner who forgot how to operate in the offensive zone.

Considering the strength's and weakness's of our organization, I still think you gotta buyout Redden, assuming there is an Amnesty buyout this off-season.. Wade's contract is longer, and slightly harder to swallow.

I don't think any current Ranger will get bought out though. Not even if the NHL blesses us with a Get out of jail free card...

What is an Amnesty Buyout?

Ive heard the term before but have no idea what is it.

Old
11-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post

Old
11-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Hockey2000nyr

well how about this question. who would you rather buyout. Drury at 7 mil per. Redden at 6.5 per or Rozsival at 5 mil per. personally i think redden is earning more of his money then any of the three. Drury i would say is second in the fact that he is the captain, he hasnt had a very good year so far but again this is a long season. Rozsival peaked in jagrs second to last season as a ranger. he has been downhill since then and honestly has been our worst defenseman so far this year and pretty much all of last year.

so to sum it up. i choose Roszival.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:32 AM
FLYLine24*

I'd get Drury out in a heartbeat.

Sorry, but he brings nothing. Good shot blocker...dime a dozen.

Renney destroyed him with his "friend" attitude....Drury went from Lindy to was in your face and expected his leaders to do stuff, to Renney who didnt give a crap as long as he was friends with everyone. I mean seriously...the guy is 30 years old...he didnt just lose all his skill at that age.

Rumor has it Renney was in shock after the game when he saw a team score 3 PP goals in a single game....That might have been the total of PPGs last season under him.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
well how about this question. who would you rather buyout. Drury at 7 mil per. Redden at 6.5 per or Rozsival at 5 mil per. personally i think redden is earning more of his money then any of the three. Drury i would say is second in the fact that he is the captain, he hasnt had a very good year so far but again this is a long season. Rozsival peaked in jagrs second to last season as a ranger. he has been downhill since then and honestly has been our worst defenseman so far this year and pretty much all of last year.

so to sum it up. i choose Roszival.
I do agree Rozsival is probably the least effective, high-priced player we have. But I wouldn't pick him over Drury+Redden.

Problem with choosing Rozsival, is he has the friendliest cap-hit out of the three. On a good day, he's overpaid by about 1M, which isn't bad at all.

Rozy has 2 years remaining after this one.. 4M in next year, and 3M the year after. (5M cap hit might not be a problem, if you can find a potential suitor).

Redden's contract expires 2014.. 4 more season's.. (6.5Mx2 + 5Mx2 real money).

When you consider how exceptional both MDZ and Gilroy have played, and the potential guys like Sanguinetti/Sauer/Potter/McDonagh become NHL worthy, you rid yourself of that brutal contract which is just coming to fruition. You dump Redden.

As much as Drury has made me despise him (I was a big Drury fan, pre-NYR days), his contract also expires in 2 more season's.. Much easier to move, despite his NMC.

-Amnesty buyout Redden
-Trade Rozsival
-Enjoy the 4th line, El Capitan! (Or trade assuming he agrees)

Then roll the dice and throw everything that Kovalchuk would ever want in his life.. 30 year contract? Done!!! Fancy house(s) throughout the country? OK!!

........*puts the pipe down..

Old
11-06-2009, 01:23 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Good performance tonight. Came out of nowhere, reminded me of the way they played earlier this season. Granted, the Oilers have been struggling too, but it was still nice to see.

Del Zotto played another great game, Higgins probably played his best game here (2 straight games! You can't stop him!) and Kotalik's shot is unbelievable. And it's always nice seeing Valley get a win.

Shocking that we actually won a game in Western Canada. Hopefully we can sweep Alberta on Saturday night.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I'd buy out Redden. And it's not even a seconds of consideration.

Why? We're DONE with Drury in 2 seasons after this....we've got 4 more years of Redden....4....4!!!!!

that's a helluva long time to pay the guy.
I've been expouding how awesome hes been playing since the 2nd game of the preseason and all...but he's nowhere near a 6.5 million dollar player either.

ALSO, unlike in the forward line, we have TONS, and TONS of depth for defenseman. Sanguinetti could step in today.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:58 AM
ColonialsHockey10

I thought MDZ played his best game. He has been doing less of the throwing it around the boards in the defensive zone. It's getting to the point where he has gone from "holding his own" to playing good defense. His vision was demonstrated perfectly today.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

with regards to this game, i thought we played a superb game, with 1 exception...i know nobody is going to agree with me, but i thought valiquette was absolutely terrible...he made like 2 or 3 semi difficult saves, but the 2 goals he let in were absolutely atrocious.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:46 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
with regards to this game, i thought we played a superb game, with 1 exception...i know nobody is going to agree with me, but i thought valiquette was absolutely terrible...he made like 2 or 3 semi difficult saves, but the 2 goals he let in were absolutely atrocious.
Agreed, both the goals he let up were very bad and he didn't make any awesome saves. One instance he tried to catch a slow shot in his glove and he just dropped it and almost let in a goal. He gets very lucky a lot of the games he plays.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

This is what I'm talking about baby! Victory!

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post

Its speculation from Brooks and it will never happened now.

People thought the cap would drop 25% for next year -- it won't. The idea was that if the cap dropped 25% teams would have to dump money in the AHL to make the cap and it wouldn't save any money for the league anyway -- they might as well create new buyout rules for a limited period of time.

But the cap won't drop so the whole purpose of a amnesty buyout don't apply anymore.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Ola

Buyout Redden now, he will still count towards our cap in 2018, that sucks...

Redden do not have a NMC.

Old
11-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I'd get Drury out in a heartbeat.

Sorry, but he brings nothing. Good shot blocker...dime a dozen.

Renney destroyed him with his "friend" attitude....Drury went from Lindy to was in your face and expected his leaders to do stuff, to Renney who didnt give a crap as long as he was friends with everyone. I mean seriously...the guy is 30 years old...he didnt just lose all his skill at that age.

Rumor has it Renney was in shock after the game when he saw a team score 3 PP goals in a single game....That might have been the total of PPGs last season under him.
Thats ridiculos Fly. You still haven't been able to see through the hype around Drury when we signed him?

You are still hung up with the hype around Drurys name before we got him, look at his stats before coming here. Drury had 4 years better then his 2 years under Renney, and 4 worse years... He scored 25 goals his first year under Renney. With other coaches he have scored: 37, 30, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20, 20 and 18 goals. 25 goals was a very good year for him.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1444

You also forget that he played on two of the most productive and offensive teams in the league for long periods -- Colorado and Buffalo.

Still there he never scored even 70 pts. Most of his seasons are in the 40's and 50's.

Overpaid as hell, would love to get rid of him too -- but don't come dragging with some old "Renney destroyed him he was a mega star before coming here BS" anymore. You and others thought we got like Datsyuk and Zetterberg when we signed Drury and Gomez. Why? Because they where hyped. A advice is to start watching some hockey and evalute things yourself because you can't belive all the hype you hear.

Old
11-06-2009, 06:06 AM
AJRanger

I still have to rub my eyes every time I see Gaborik in a Rangers jersey; I still can't believe we've got a guy that can look like he's doing so little (in the nicest possible way) yet still put up 2/3 points in a game. Good to see Higgins score again and Callahan get on the board, hopefully the secondary scoring's waking up at last. Props to Kotalik too, what a rocket.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:11 AM
NYR Viper

Wasnt able to see the game but listened to it and watched the highlights. Good to see some players like Higgins, Callahan and Kotalik all get some points. If this team wants to succeed they will need secondary scoring every night, which means players like Drury and Dubinsky and Lisin all have to start putting up more points on a consistent basis. That's the difference between the above average teams and the good teams.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Amnesty buyouts are only an option if the salary cap is going to take a significant drop for 10-11 but the cap is expected to remain right where it is now. Besides the NHL would need to negotiate with the NHLPA regarding any amnesty buyouts and the PA has their own issues. The PA is on their 3rd exec director in 3 months. The increase in the Canadian dollar will help keep the cap right where it is.

When the Rangers return from Calgary on Sunday morning,can they please just waive Aaron Voros on Monday? It's painful to watch.

Saturday's Ranger game is Calgary's third game in four nights. They played the Stars(Wed) and Blues(Thurs) on the road. Calgary got a gift delay of game penalty in OT against the Stars. Calgary won the goal on the PP in OT. Calgary was down 2-1 in the final minute.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote