Notices

What to expect from Sheppard?

Old
09-27-2009, 01:00 PM
GravelTheOne

vCash: 500
What to expect from Sheppard?

Hi folks,

I just made a fantasy draft last night and I wanted to know if I made a good guess in picking him 14th round. I expect him to make 50 points this year, are my expectations too high ?

We were 23, picked each 10 fowards, 3 def, 1 goalie and 1 team.

Thanks for your opinions !

PS Sorry for my english ... i'm from quebec and do not talk english too often ...

GravelTheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Jbcraig1883

Sheppard is really hard to tell...

I think he will end up being a quality 2nd line center. But, I don't know if this year will be his breakout year or not. I think that he will have every opportunity to play in the top 6 this year and Richards will put him in situations to grow.

I don't know if faceoffs count in your league but Sheppard was horrible the past two years. They were working on it last week. Sheppard acknowledged that he never saw the point in them, but after working with Nolan and listening to Richards, seemed to understand the importance of them. And, even though it is preseason, Sheppard was quite good on his faceoffs the last two preseason games.

Long story short, 40-45 points is pretty realistic.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
GravelTheOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Sheppard is really hard to tell...

I think he will end up being a quality 2nd line center. But, I don't know if this year will be his breakout year or not. I think that he will have every opportunity to play in the top 6 this year and Richards will put him in situations to grow.

I don't know if faceoffs count in your league but Sheppard was horrible the past two years. They were working on it last week. Sheppard acknowledged that he never saw the point in them, but after working with Nolan and listening to Richards, seemed to understand the importance of them. And, even though it is preseason, Sheppard was quite good on his faceoffs the last two preseason games.

Long story short, 40-45 points is pretty realistic.
No, faceoffs dont count ! I drafted him because i'm hoping that a system change, more offensive minded, would allow him to have his breakout year ! 45 points would be fine for me.

Old
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
He'll do okay if he's actually playing with capable people on his wings to accent him more than what he was dealing with last year. I think he had about 20 different players on his line. How can you expect anyone to garner chemistry with people when you keep making changes like that??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Veela

I am not sure about the depth at center. After Koivu, it is Belanger, Shep, Fritsche, maybe Brodziak. It seems like Shep is set for 2nd line.

I believe he is eager to prove himself. He was not on the same page with Lemaire last year but took the blame for it too. Now he should show he is disciplined team guy. I think he will have nice 40-50 pts season which is great for a player of his age.

Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Jbcraig1883

Fritsche is no longer with us.

The depth at center at this point is somehwat gray because Richards was testing both Pouliot and Bouchard at center. (Pouliot is day-to-day with a leg injury and Bouchard is sick). If you take out those two, then Sheppard is probably 2nd or third on the depth chart, depending on what Richards wants to do. Belanger is obviously more experienced but Sheppard has more potential and it is more probable he will be around long term.

I expect Sheppard to see 2nd/3rd line ice-time, switching with either Brodziak or Belanger. If Pouliot or Bouchard end up staying at center, then maybe Sheppard is added to the wing?? I don't know...its pure speculation at this point.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 07:22 PM
BigT2002

Just a heads up as well. Bouchard may have post concussion syndrome still from his concussion last year. He is having major migranes and lethargic. He said if it doesn't get better soon, he'll go and get tested.

That would probably have the Centers at Opening Night:

Koivu
Sheppard
Belanger/Brodziak
Brodziak/Belanger

Benny will be on a wing, as from what I was told he wasn't too spectacular in the faceoffs when he was playing.

Old
09-28-2009, 11:56 AM
GravelTheOne

I think that Sheppard needs top 6 minutes to take the next step. I hope Richards will give him the opportunity to show what he's got.

Old
09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Wildlife

Agreed. Sheppard needs top minutes and good wingers and then he'll do great this year.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
GravelTheOne

Will he finally get a fu*ck*ng point this year ?

How is he playing? I will probably have to take my trade for him ... damn.

Old
10-22-2009, 09:32 PM
ceber

I think he needs a smack in the face. I just don't get the sense that he's much into the game.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:57 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I was so glad to hear that TR made him a healthy scratch on Saturday. This was something that Lemaire didn't do last year, but should have. All the kid needs to do is start moving his feet. The way he's playing now he wouldn't succeed in the WCHA they way.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Maybe 3 goals, 8 assists, and -25?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 10:45 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I was so glad to hear that TR made him a healthy scratch on Saturday. This was something that Lemaire didn't do last year, but should have. All the kid needs to do is start moving his feet. The way he's playing now he wouldn't succeed in the WCHA they way.
Agreed. As I said in a few Trades/Proposals....it may be time to cut the chain on this kid and trade him. He hasn't amounted to anything to what he was expected to do, not even close to it actually. At this point Pouliot is playing at a Crosby level to him in comparison. But I bet a whole lot of you are happy that Belanger is still with this team now....

Old
11-05-2009, 01:33 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

What can we expect from Sheppard? About 6 feet of snow shoveled.

God, can we get a more pathetic draft run from 2004-2006...Yay...Clutterbuck /facepalm

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:45 PM
pond_hockey

Can't stand the kid, sooner he's off the team the better. Still young but I just don't see anything there.

pond_hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:18 AM
stubbadub

James Sheppard for Andrei Kostitsyn. Two underachieving first round picks. Shep played awesome on the Screaming Eagles. He was just rushed into the NHL. Minnesota was just impatient, but should have put him in the AHL for a year or maybe two. I have a ton of respect and faith that given a couple more years to adjust, and a scenery change while playing with a veteran he would very likely turn his game around ten fold to be a presence in the league well. Kostitsyn is playing on the fourth line. Sadly Montreal seems to have given up on the **** bros. Sergei there is no doubt will never play a game for us again, but Andrei was touted to have a very, very promising future. He just lost his confidence, chemistry and drive when they didn't resign the farm in the off season.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

God if that was offered I would do it in a heartbeat.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote