HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"Duck and Cover!" - 11.05.09 - Nashville @ Anaheim

Old
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
MemphisMTLfan

vCash: 500
Well we got SOME entertainment, Belak vs Parros. Too bad Erat is out, I miss him skating his signature into the ice. Would have been nice to see Shea Weber with a widow maker or two. Tootoo did some stuff.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:10 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
Tootoo did some stuff.
yeah I thought Tootoo had a decent first game. At least he put a few good pucks on net.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:12 AM
predfan24

I thought we played a decent road game until Klein made two bad mistakes in a span of about 10 seconds that led to the 2nd goal. After that the winds were taken out of our sails as it was obvious to anyone that was watching the game that we weren't going to score two goals. I just didn't get the feeling that we were ever a threat to score in this game despite the fact we had some good shots on net with traffic in front. I think I felt this way because Hiller was obviously on and our lack of finishers.

The Leggy line with Smitty on it and the Scatchard- Santo- Ward lines were both as ineffective offensively as I thought they would be before the game. Suter was obviously not comfortable about about playing Right D and who can blame him? When you get used to one D side it really does get hard to adjust playing on the other side. Especially when that is his "off" side of Defense.

Oh well, put this one behind us and pray some of guys get back sooner rather than later.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If we can't score 2 goals a game, we don't deserve to win, really, on any night.

11-06-2009, 08:58 AM
RollingPredFan

Oh well this is the result I expected. You can't take out your leading scorers and expect to generate much offense. I thought Hornqvist and Santorelli did some nice things. We did shoot alot, but all the shots were pretty much way to the outside and far away. I love Sully but every time someone passes the puck to him it ends up going to other way it seems like. I thought Rinne played well, the d let him down at the end.

We may go on a losing streak until we get healthy I'm afraid.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

We have a maddening tendency to hold on to the puck for far too long on the power play...and when we do finally decide that we can't wait any longer, someone takes a telegraphed shot from the outside--directly into the penalty killer's legs.

I think the 40 shots were misleading, as well...a lot of that came from off the rush\outside. the third line was actually the only one able to consistently generate sustained pressure.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:02 AM
deleted

Goc needs to spend an extra hour every practice working on shootouts. He is now like 0 for 9 on breakaways this season. And Hornqvist was shooting like he was last year (Unless I just didn't notice and he has been all season) soft and right at the goalies stomach.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:41 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Goc needs to spend an extra hour every practice working on shootouts. He is now like 0 for 9 on breakaways this season. And Hornqvist was shooting like he was last year (Unless I just didn't notice and he has been all season) soft and right at the goalies stomach.
He's been like that all year from what I can see. He's not going to beat alot of goalies with his a straight up shot. I think he realizes now he is going to have to be like Holmstrom: all goals with 5-7 feet of the net. Right now he is doing a pretty good job at it and I have no complaints.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
He's been like that all year from what I can see. He's not going to beat alot of goalies with his a straight up shot. I think he realizes now he is going to have to be like Holmstrom: all goals with 5-7 feet of the net. Right now he is doing a pretty good job at it and I have no complaints.
me neither, but if thats the case he needs to shoot low and hope for rebounds he or someone else can crash at. He did play great last night.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
jstreet

Felder has pretty muched summed this one up the same way I would HERE

Quote:
Considering the Preds put up 40 shots on goal, who would you think was the players peppering the net? Well, you may be a bit surprised. Leading the way was Patric Hornqvist with 10 SOG. Next we have a five-way tie for players with 4 SOG: Hamhuis, Thuresson, Santorelli, Tootoo, and Franson. That alone should make you look twice. So what happened with the few top 6 forwards the Preds have healthy? Legwand finished the game -2, had 0 shots on goal, and in fact never attempted a shot. The captain Jason Arnott was returning from his injury. He was -1, had 2 shots on goal, 2 attempts blocked, and 3 missed shots. Steve Sullivan was -1, had 0 shots on goal, had 1 attempt blocked, and missed the net on 2 shots. One other thing about Sully, 3 giveaways in this game. This is becoming an alarming trend with Sullivan. He now leads the team with 17 giveaways this season AND is 14th in the NHL for most giveaways. WIth Dumont and Erat out (although Erat wouldn't add much anyways thus far), it certainly showed that the veteran top 6 forwards looked a little lost tonight. I would take this as a positive/negative situation. It's not good when your top players aren't putting enough pucks on net, BUT, it is encouraging to see so many of the younger players putting forth the effort in the vets stead.
Can you believe that crap

Old
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Not that it matters or would have, but I thought we got robbed of a goal. The whistle had obviously gone, but every player in the crease area was still acting as if it hadn't. I don't know how the ref lost sight of the puck, because I followed it the whole way and it wasn't even HD. It really bothered me when, later on in the game, Peks had obviously gloved and held the puck, but it took the referee a solid ten seconds to blow the play dead.

Anyway, we had a few chances, but there were entirely too many times when players, especially vets, decided to attempt the pass rather than take the shot with one or two others guys crashing the net. One of these days one of our players is going to find a way to shoot a puck through the goalie's chest, and then we will be the most dominate offensive hockey team in the history of the sport.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
caliamad

Ducks fan here, great game last night. Thought Nashville played very well despite the many injuries and the game was really a lot closer than the 4-0 finale.

I was curious on the Nashville's situation, even after Wizniewski comes back form suspension, the ducks are 1 top 4 d-man short of having a competent defensive core.

Once healthy, will nashville be looking/willing to move any defenseman (example I noticed Hamhuis is a UFA at end of year). If so, what would it take to get someone like him.

Thanks in advance.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Just a note...the Ducks have the 29th ranked PK in the league, folks.

I know because I looked it up, thinking, "Wow, their PK is pretty good, I bet it's ranked pretty high."
Yeah, because it's not in the GDT or anything...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

I've got some things planned for tomorrow's GDT, stay tuned!

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Anyone know if Rinne will be in net tomorrow?

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

No idea, but you might want to check dailyfaceoff.com tomorrow morning to see.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:26 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Ducks fan here, great game last night. Thought Nashville played very well despite the many injuries and the game was really a lot closer than the 4-0 finale.

I was curious on the Nashville's situation, even after Wizniewski comes back form suspension, the ducks are 1 top 4 d-man short of having a competent defensive core.

Once healthy, will nashville be looking/willing to move any defenseman (example I noticed Hamhuis is a UFA at end of year). If so, what would it take to get someone like him.

Thanks in advance.
you can have Hamhuis, Klein, and Sulzer right now for all I care. Send someone our way who will at least shoot in the general direction of the net.

Old
11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
It was 1-0 almost mid-way through the third...and everything just falls apart.

Every rush is one and done. No one goes to the net, they skate right pass it. No one is watching for rebounds, they've already skated by the net so they miss them. And by the time the Pred player sees it and goes for the puck, the Anaheim player has already recovered the puck and is heading out of the zone.

We'll be lucky if we score A goal on this California trip.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
It was 1-0 almost mid-way through the third...and everything just falls apart.

Every rush is one and done. No one goes to the net, they skate right pass it. No one is watching for rebounds, they've already skated by the net so they miss them. And by the time the Pred player sees it and goes for the puck, the Anaheim player has already recovered the puck and is heading out of the zone.

We'll be lucky if we score A goal on this California trip.
Hornqvist did attack the net and took a few beatings for it.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote