HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postgame Avs-Coyotes where were you tonight?

Old
11-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I was at the game last night. It was pretty empty.

Here's my biggest gripes:

1) NO JERSEYS. I want to buy one and they don't have any. Apparently there is some problem with Reebok and the whites won't be coming in until *MARCH*. The burgandys should be coming in before Christmas, but until then it's the same old jerseys - Jones, Cumiskey, Liles.....nothing against those players, but you could have purchased those sweaters 2 years ago.

2) Service. Even in a small crowd, the service last night was awful in the club level. The food was cold when I got it, and the servers just talked amongst each other until about 10 mins before the game. I sat about 30-40 mins hungry as hell waiting to eat. That didn't used to happen.

3) Video Introduction - It's almost nonexistent this year.

4) Music/etc. - Dater hit the nail on the head there...I have seen zero creativity from a marketing perspective over the past 3 years. Some things have been tweaked but nothing major has came on board....Except the weird looking mascot...It's the same music and the same sound clips, kiss cam, etc.....

5) Prices - I'm still really upset about this one...For the prices we pay I feel like I'm getting cheated out of numbers 1-4....The team (as exciting as they are) is not going to be better than a playoff contender at most.....The service has gotten worse, and somehow I am supposed to think that I am spending my hard earned dollars well.....I feel like I'm just putting cash into Stan's pockets......The other thing that absolutely boggles my mind is that the Avalanche wouldn't take this period in their history to try and grab some new fans and the younger generation who will grow up and watch these 18 year old player's careers for the next 10-20 years.....I would think they'd try to capture the 18-30 year old group and make them devoted fans but their ticket prices certainly don't make that even remotely possible. If you've ever been to a Crush or Lacrosse game here then you know what I am talking about.......Last it absolutely infuriates me that I can watch Center Ice all season long or use that money to attend 2 hockey games - maybe even 1 depending on where you sit. Something is really out of whack.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
Dater does not hold back:

Entire article, click here.

I like that Dater is consistent (since he called out Preds fans) but shouldn't it be obvious that the Avs needed to adjust their ticket prices from last season to now as an average ticket price of $71 is pretty crazy. (2nd highest in league).

What do you guys think?
The Toronto Star had a article about the most expensive tickets around the NHL. Colorado was around the league average somewhere in the 11-20 range for most expansive tickets.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
It's basic math. Lets say the average crowd currently is 14000(4000 under a sell out)at $71 average ticket price. Thats an average revenue of 40,754,000 per year. Lets say they drop prices $20 on average(I'll use averages again to keep it consistent). Lets say this brings the average crowd up to 16000. This would bring in an average revenue of 33,456,000 per year . Even if they sold out every game at the reduced $51 average price, they still only make 37,652,637. People need to realize this is a BUSINESS first and foremost. The point of a business is to bring in as much revenue that they can. Of the three examples, the one that brings in the most revenues...the highest ticket price with lowest average attendance.
It may be basic math, but basic math isn't equal to basic business.

Here is something you learn in 1st year economics,

Marginal Benefit = Marginal Cost, is where people and businesses will be happy. Since the team sucked last season and despite their record don't exactly have the "star" power to attract people. Lets face it, Stastny is no Ovechkin and I doubt people would pay to see Staz regardless how great of a player he is in his own respect.

People don't have any incentive to pay for the tickets so right now, MB < MC, to make is so that MB = MC, the prices must drop! Its not related to the Avs, its the basic law of supply and demand. There is deadweight loss [loss of profit] and that is just flawed business.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:38 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
The Toronto Star had a article about the most expensive tickets around the NHL. Colorado was around the league average somewhere in the 11-20 range for most expansive tickets.
Do you happen to have a link? I'd be interested to see if it really was legitimate data like an updated version of the NHL-released data from the Globe & Mail report a few years back, or if it was just another regurgitation of the bogus Team Marketing Report list that is essentially worthless.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:39 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
i betcha they used the COMPLETELY bogus TMR nhl ticket data. that data does not include "premium" seats. the avs have termed the entire lower bowl premium, thus the average ticket price is ridiculously skewed.

A year or 2 ago, the toronto newspaper published the true average ticket price of the league. The Avs had the 2nd highest, behind only Toronto. see here for more: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=689687 . I seriously doubt things have changed much.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Adama0905

Haha, one hilarious thing, I was at the Rocky Mountain Showdown at Pepsi Center tonight (CU club hockey vs. CSU club hockey(CU won, woot!)), and Bernie or whatever the hell they call him was in the stands.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:59 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
i betcha they used the COMPLETELY bogus TMR nhl ticket data. that data does not include "premium" seats. the avs have termed the entire lower bowl premium, thus the average ticket price is ridiculously skewed.

A year or 2 ago, the toronto newspaper published the true average ticket price of the league. The Avs had the 2nd highest, behind only Toronto. see here for more: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=689687 . I seriously doubt things have changed much.
Thanks, Doc. I was going to go and try to find this.

Yes, those TMR numbers are totally bogus, and this is the start and end of the discussion as to why I wasn't at the game. It's the same reason I went from a season-ticket holder to going to 2-3 games per year: It's simply too expensive.

Also, I travel a bit for business, and get tickets to games in other cities for clients (which the company picks up), and while none of them are cheap, and while I haven't done a really careful comparison, it sure seems to me that the lower level bowl tickets in Denver are pretty damn expensive.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

Id go if I lived there, I live in Austin, TX and travel twice a year to Dallas to see the AVs!

The article has many good points that have already been discussed. Management needs to be more acvtive and open with the community, promote the kids and stars!

and ticket prices are too high.

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

I was not there because I live in Finland.

But I'm planning to make the trip to Denver to see an Avs game in the future.

Last edited by Qurpiz: 11-06-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Stazz21

The Avs are perfect at home this season...maybe they don't like the fans coming...

But seriously, EASY MARKETING CAMPAIGN: everyone remembers the days of having Sakic and Forsberg as our top 2 centers, a ridiculously good combination, perhaps the best 1-2 punch the NHL has ever seen. We have three really exciting young centers right now in Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reily, so interview Sakic and Forsberg and make all the damn comparisons you can possibly make! Tell the fans that we once again have a glut of talent at the center position, which is Avs tradition, except instead of 2, WE'VE GOT 3!!!

Stazz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Erickkelly26

I have been to 4/5 home games this year and i don't have season tickets. The only one i have missed was the Vancouver Canucks....

So Adrian GTFO

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Did this get posted yet?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009...tainly-spoken/

Dater follows up on the overwhelming fan response.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote