HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Carbloading after games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
  #1
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Carbloading after games

I've heard a couple players recently talking about nutrition topics and playing hockey, and they were talking about the body needing water and carbs after a game. One of them was claiming, and was serious too (he was actually a nurse practioner so I would take it with some credibility), that the best way to do it is via beers. He did mention there was an effective point to it though, that anywhere from 2 to 4, depending on the person, was good, but if exceeded would tend to lose the nutrient value you get from it.

There were a few of us talking about this today and another guy mentioned that he recently read an article in a workout type magazine that was saying having a beer or two after a weight lifting session was a good thing to do.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
  #2
skogsstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Värmland/DF
Country: Mexico
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
That might work if the beer is completely alchohol free.

I fail to understand how poisonous alchohol in the blood can be good for recovery and why anyone would even BELIEVE it is?

skogsstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
  #3
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
Two words: Chocolate. Milk.
Chocolate milk for me. I'm allergic to Alcohol.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
  #4
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogsstar View Post
That might work if the beer is completely alchohol free.

I fail to understand how poisonous alchohol in the blood can be good for recovery and why anyone would even BELIEVE it is?

Because maybe using the term "poison" is ridiculous and beer is loaded with vitamin B6?

I always have a few beers in the dressing room after, wouldnt feel the same too me if i didnt.

Usually have some Whey and Milk when i get home.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
  #5
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Let's not exaggerate here. To just simply say alcohol is a poison is a bit misleading. Poison, i.e. toxicity, and its effect on the body depend totally on toxicity levels. So certainly if one were to down a pint of vodka, or half a case of beer after a game, yes, it would be like a poison in the bloodstream. But I think we're just talking somewhere along the lines of say 2 to 4 beers postgame. The alcohol you get from that amount would not have a deleterious effect in your bloodstream.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:06 AM
  #6
Nbr-17
Registered User
 
Nbr-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stouffville, ON
Country: Germany
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
Two words: Chocolate. Milk.
Indeed, has everything needed for recovery.
After any physical activity your body needs protein to rebuild muscle tissue.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
  #7
jessebelanger
Registered User
 
jessebelanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,347
vCash: 500
I also occasionally have a beer after a workout... I have heard that the high GI carbs in the beer are good for post workout, which I am skeptical of..there are better ways to get high gi carbs (several people have mentioned chocolate milk, for example)..but a beer is just so great after a long workout

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
  #8
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,494
vCash: 501
Beer is great for carbs, but no protein and the alcohol doesn't do much for hydration. It may taste refreshing, but it's drying you out.

You need hydration, you need proteins, and some carbs. Chocolate milk is great. Or regualr milk and chips or a candy bar for those like me who don't like chocolate milk. Or Gatorade and chicken wings.

But beer really isn't what you want from a medical standpoint. It is great to knock one back in the locker room with your pals though.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
  #9
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Indeed, has everything needed for recovery.
After any physical activity your body needs protein to rebuild muscle tissue.
thats what i do after i lift. its perfect. it has sugar, carbs, protein and fat

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
  #10
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Chocolate milk for me. I'm allergic to Alcohol.
Lucky you... you have an excuse! I get flack for not "drinking with the guys" after games.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
  #11
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Beer is great for carbs, but no protein and the alcohol doesn't do much for hydration. It may taste refreshing, but it's drying you out.

You need hydration, you need proteins, and some carbs. Chocolate milk is great. Or regualr milk and chips or a candy bar for those like me who don't like chocolate milk. Or Gatorade and chicken wings.

But beer really isn't what you want from a medical standpoint. It is great to knock one back in the locker room with your pals though.
The 5% or so alcohol may not do much for hydration, and in fact is a mild diuretic, but the 90+% water certainly certainly helps.

Gotta recommend the chocolate milk though, especially if you're driving home.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:35 AM
  #12
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Lucky you... you have an excuse! I get flack for not "drinking with the guys" after games.
Yeah I have been forced into taking a beer a time or too. I usually just open it, nurse it for 15 minutes, then off to the urinal with beer in hand, woosh!

If another is offered I make jokes about being a two beer queer and not being able to drive home, or jokes about watching my girlish figure (which is a joke in it's self)

The bad thing is I actually like the taste of beer and miss it some times but it's so not worth the headaches and other symptoms I can experience.

I'm all about Gateraid, and or Chocolate milk, and poutin after a game.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 04:36 PM
  #13
skogsstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Värmland/DF
Country: Mexico
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
Let's not exaggerate here. To just simply say alcohol is a poison is a bit misleading. Poison, i.e. toxicity, and its effect on the body depend totally on toxicity levels. So certainly if one were to down a pint of vodka, or half a case of beer after a game, yes, it would be like a poison in the bloodstream. But I think we're just talking somewhere along the lines of say 2 to 4 beers postgame. The alcohol you get from that amount would not have a deleterious effect in your bloodstream.
I dont want to exaggerate but I suppose you work out to get stronger or feel better? In that context yes alchohol will do more damage than good. It goes straight into the blood and the muscles youve been working out. It is for a fact toxic and your body does it best to clean it out of your body.

To think that you need beer to get carbs is ridiculous you can choose from a million other things.

Drink the beer when NOT working out and it will do some less damage to your body.

skogsstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 05:00 PM
  #14
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogsstar View Post
I dont want to exaggerate but I suppose you work out to get stronger or feel better? In that context yes alchohol will do more damage than good. It goes straight into the blood and the muscles youve been working out. It is for a fact toxic and your body does it best to clean it out of your body.

To think that you need beer to get carbs is ridiculous you can choose from a million other things.

Drink the beer when NOT working out and it will do some less damage to your body.
Any benefit from alcohol after working out is likely psychological. It might help you relax and feel better about working out, but I doubt that it has any physiological benefits.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:56 PM
  #15
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogsstar View Post
I dont want to exaggerate but I suppose you work out to get stronger or feel better? In that context yes alchohol will do more damage than good. It goes straight into the blood and the muscles youve been working out. It is for a fact toxic and your body does it best to clean it out of your body.

To think that you need beer to get carbs is ridiculous you can choose from a million other things.

Drink the beer when NOT working out and it will do some less damage to your body.

There is a big difference between drinking 6 beers and 2.

Anything at all, i mean anything is toxic in large enough doses.

A couple beers has more benfits then "damage"

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:58 PM
  #16
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Any benefit from alcohol after working out is likely psychological. It might help you relax and feel better about working out, but I doubt that it has any physiological benefits.

Vitamin B6 is one benefit that is not psychological.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
  #17
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
My after game drink is coffee but not long after that is gone i drink quite a bit of orange juice.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:45 AM
  #18
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,676
vCash: 500
I have cut out most of the carbs from my diet (aside from some veggies, lettuce, and beans) and my energy level is improved.

As for the post-game beer, I notice after games if I have a few, I'm really hungover and dehydrated the next day. One or two isn't bad, especially if I stick to a low carb one, then it's basically just water

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.