HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney still proud of days with Rangers

Old
11-06-2009, 06:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Renney still proud of days with Rangers

Quote:
Edmonton, of course, lives and dies with the Oilers, bleeding blue and orange. A reporter wanted to know what the relationship between the fans and the Rangers was like in New York.

"New Yorkers care," he said. "They care first and foremost about anything representing their city, whether it be a political figure or a sports team."

That from a New Yorker at heart who now just happens to live a couple of thousand miles away, one who represented our city with class and dignity every single day.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0W5CGBhOn

Quote:
"[Michael] Del Zotto, he's got some real jam, hasn't he?" Renney asked. But he said the defenseman, chosen 20th overall in the 2008 draft, couldn't have helped the team as an 18-year-old last season. "He needed to spend time in the juniors, just like [Marc] Staal," he said.

He's noticed that a prospect he watched develop, 21-year-old Artem Anisimov, has been improving and playing on the third line. "You wonder if he can be more than that . . . You wonder what he and Grachev might eventually be able to do together," Renney said, referring to Evgeny Grachev, the Russian power forward with the Hartford Wolf Pack.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...mind-1.1569818

Renney exchanges texts with Jags and is trying to lure Jagr to Edmonton.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
And I'm proud of Renney, and we all should be. The man did great service for our franchise.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
And I'm proud of Renney, and we all should be. The man did great service for our franchise.
Yep. He is the epitome of true class.

People tend to forget what this franchise was like before Renney became Head Coach.

11-06-2009, 07:26 AM
NYR Viper

No matter what happens from here on out, I will always respect him as a coach and a person. Just a great person in general. I wish nothing but good fortune for him in whatever he and his family do.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:39 AM
lundy

Renney is a good dude.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Great coach. Great person. Class act.

He's doing a great job in Edmonton. He's getting a lot out of guys who haven't been living up to their potential (Penner, Brule). I know he's not the head coach, but player development was always a strong point with Renney and I have no reason to think it's different now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:19 AM
TheHotRock

renney is liek a sage. so well spoken, eloquent...its hard to dislike a guy like that, impossible to not respect him. i wish he was still with the organization, but i guess the front office was getting pretty crowded with slats, barnett and now, mess.

wish the guy the best of luck in the future no matter what he does.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yep. He is the epitome of true class.

People tend to forget what this franchise was like before Renney became Head Coach.
Exactamundo !

At least we realize the man's value, let the haters hate.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Cermi

He is a good coach and very good person. He's done a lot for the franchise, before he came we were nothing but a joke. He chose the right player to build the team upon, and he got us to the play-offs after like a thousand years. And he helped a lot to the development of our prospects, right now, we have Dubi, Cally, Girardi, Staal, Anisimov, Del Zotto and Byers on the team, while Sangs and Grachev are waiting in AHL. He didnt rush, he gave them time to develop their game, which payed off (especially with Staal).

However, it was a time to move on. He'd helped us a lot, but the franchise needed a change.

Good luck in Edmonton!

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
NYROrtsFan

He did a great job.

We were lucky enough to get 2 good coaches in a row in Renney and Torts. Whenever you can have good coaching in an organization for a long period of time, the team just gets better and better and winning becomes the culture.

It started under Renney, and now we have a great coach in Torts who will always have this team winning. The only question is exactly how much winning.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:51 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I was always a fan of Renney.

His time was certainly up in NY, but I'll always thank him for the helluva job he did.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:01 AM
94now

Signing Drury and Gomez was, in fact Renney's sentence. Those two sank the ship despite Tom's effort to keep in afloat. One of the two is still around being a huge hole in the hull.
As for his system, VAN that plays Renney's style handed Torts arsh to him rather easily last Monday.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
clmetsfan

Renney was a perfect transition coach for this team. When he took over we hadn't seen the Rangers ice a young, hard-working team in years. He obviously wasn't the guy to take them all the way, but he ought to be damn proud of the strides that the team made under his direction.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I really hope we can get this guy back into the organization with a head office role one day...

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Celestial Black

He is such a good guy and coach.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
hlundqvist30*

If the Rangers win a Stanley Cup in the next 10 years we can thank Tom Renney for it. He's a good coach who got this team back to relevancy and beyond. He's not a bad coach at all. In fact, he's a good one, but fact of the matter is he just wasn't going to get this team to the next level. He's as good of a guy as there is in hockey.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
17futurecap

One of my favrorite seasons as a fan is the year when they swept Atlanta and came so close vs Buffalo. Getting to here the Garden when Rosi scored in game 3 vs Buffalo was just amazing.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:01 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
One of my favrorite seasons as a fan is the year when they swept Atlanta and came so close vs Buffalo. Getting to here the Garden when Rosi scored in game 3 vs Buffalo was just amazing.
That was our best chance under Renney. It's a shame we had nothing on the other lines. Good guys who worked hard, but not enough offense.

Straka Nylander Jagr carried things that year, with the great penalty kill and great goaltending.

Buffalo was just so good that year though.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

A true gentleman.

Probably too much of a gentleman for some of the slackers who've played here.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I really hope we can get this guy back into the organization with a head office role one day...
I agree. He has a great hockey mind, and he's a classy guy that you'd love to have being a public face of your franchise.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

It also struck me during his interview last night that he genuinely misses NYC.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
eco's bones

A great guy. Very smart and very classy. He did a lot to turn our franchise around and I wasn't happy the day he was replaced though looking back at that--it needed to be done. He'd lost the ability to reach his team--though what he had to work with was not a lot. I wish him nothing but success and happiness wherever he goes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
It also struck me during his interview last night that he genuinely misses NYC.
Have you ever been in Edmonton? That place is so remote (to say at least), it would aggravate all the other feelings from leaving the Rangers. Regina maybe the only Canadian big city that is worse... No wonder they are crazy about hockey there... There's nothing else.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

We all sound like a skipping record... haha But it's true... Renney is a great guy and a good coach.

It would be nice to see him back with the organization in helping Sather draft and develop our prospects.

Too bad his system didn't work out with the team we had last year.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:56 PM
ThirdEye

Good guy, but unfortunately a very average coach. While I don' think Tortorella is perfect, he is much better suited for this team.

Renney seems like a really sentimental person to me. I wouldn't be surprised if was back with the Rangers in some form in not too distant future

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote