HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about stick for ball hockey

Old
11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
habman6

vCash: 500
Question about stick for ball hockey

Hey guys,

I just joined a ball hockey league and have a question on my stick. Usually I play road hockey and I get an ABS stick so that it doesn't splinter. But, this league is indoors on a smooth gymnasium floor. I have a composite stick that I picked up on sale for 40$ (Bauer Vapor X:20) and I wanted to use it, but I don't know how it will hold up on the floor. Instead of using it and ruined the blade on the first slap shot, I figured I would ask first. Perhaps tape will protect it?

habman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:30 AM
CanFan05

Don't put tape underneath the blade if you play in a gym or on a smooth concrete surface.. I use the Tacki-Mac attach pad and Grip on my sticks and it's been great for me. I actually know a guy who puts tapes and waxes his stick blade for Ballhockey

Just curious, where do you play?

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:27 PM
habman6

Great, thanks for the advice.

I play in a league in Toronto (I'm a habs fan living in Toronto )

Old
11-06-2009, 03:05 PM
AIREAYE

If it's a gym floor, then usingg composites are fine, just add a strip of tape along the bottom and toe of the blade to protect it. The tape on the bottom will wear off, but protecting the toe is important.

Remember NOT to tape the blade as you would on ice, because the tape (or even the Tacki-Mac pad) will grip onto the ball and the blade of 'roll' on it as you shoot/pass

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:51 PM
habman6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If it's a gym floor, then usingg composites are fine, just add a strip of tape along the bottom and toe of the blade to protect it. The tape on the bottom will wear off, but protecting the toe is important.

Remember NOT to tape the blade as you would on ice, because the tape (or even the Tacki-Mac pad) will grip onto the ball and the blade of 'roll' on it as you shoot/pass
Great thanks. Ya I usually never tape my road hockey sticks because of how they grip to the ball. I bought an ABS infused Koho as a backup, which I usually use on the harsh road surface.

Anyone else find the ABS sticks (the ones that are pure ABS) to have too much flex? I can barely shoot with those things - I need to have wood with ABS in the core.

Old
11-06-2009, 08:55 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habman6 View Post
Great thanks. Ya I usually never tape my road hockey sticks because of how they grip to the ball. I bought an ABS infused Koho as a backup, which I usually use on the harsh road surface.

Anyone else find the ABS sticks (the ones that are pure ABS) to have too much flex? I can barely shoot with those things - I need to have wood with ABS in the core.
Well I don't think there are any sticks that are pure ABS, perhaps you are thinking about some of the plastic sticks? The only ABS sticks i know of is the

Easton Synergy ABS: http://ishopz247.us/Easton-Synergy-A...ports-Fitness/

The older synergy ABS: http://www.totalhockey.net/tab3.asp?...=cse&gp=detail

The RBK SHK sticks have a plastic blade: http://www.247hockey.com/pd_reebok_rbk_shk.cfm

and my personal favourite: the RBK 1K ABS: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-stick-1k-sr.html

A few CCM wooden sticks are ABS too, just ask

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
habman6

I'm sorry, my mistake. I thought it was ABS but I actually meant just regular plastic (like in the 3rd link you provided, the RBK SHK). Too much flex on those things.

I researched the 4th one you posted, but I couldn't find it in the stores near me so I got a Koho 2260 Torpedo instead.