HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's the best save you've seen?

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
[homer]2000 ECF Brian Boucher[/homer]
So weird, I was just sitting around tanning a few minutes ago and for some reason I was thinking "Man, that Boucher save on Elias was pretty damn awesome." And then I come inside and see this thread's been started. Eerie I tells ya.

The save itself was a 9.5, but Boucher's mask flying off makes it a 10.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:17 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
I'd have to go with Hasek's (insert position here) save against (insert opponent here) a few years ago, when he robbed (insert pathetic shooter here) blind. Unbelievable.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
So weird, I was just sitting around tanning a few minutes ago and for some reason I was thinking "Man, that Boucher save on Elias was pretty damn awesome." And then I come inside and see this thread's been started. Eerie I tells ya.

The save itself was a 9.5, but Boucher's mask flying off makes it a 10.
Whoa. That's kind like I was in the shower this morning and I was thinking about a Boston creme donut, and then a little later I found one buried under some papers in my desk!

Yeah, the helmet coming off was the icing on the cake.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Gags1288

I've a got a few, but I don't have clips to support them

The first, a save by Biron on Therien about three years ago (maybe two). Marty was caught in the corner and Chris had an empty net. Chris sent a slapper towards the net at about 2 feet off the ground. Marty skated across, dove from outside of the crease, and got it with his stick. Lucky and truly amaizing.

The second, one of those highlight saves from Hasek. This time it was against Trent Klatt and Dom was caught out of the net. The save was very similar to Giguere's on Gaborik, except Klatt's shot was elevated and Dom was probably more out of the net (if that's possible). There are a ton from Dom, but this is the one that sticks out in my mind.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:57 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
So many homers its unreal.......
let me get this straight. the thread title asks "What's the best save you've seen?" and you expect to get answers from other teams?

let me clarify further.. it asks what they've seen... not the best in history, so why would it be so hard to believe that the best save people have seen has come from their team? obviously they watch their own team a lot more than they watch the other teams.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
best in Canucks history would be the McLean save against Calgary, triple OT in game 7.

http://ihatetheleafs.com/VIDEO/video...E_THE_GOAL.WMV

that clip has many replays and the amazing goal Bure scored to win it

lmao.

"It's a good thing i pressed the silent switch because you shoulda heard what i said"

Old
09-20-2003, 01:01 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Didn't Nabokov stop one from behind the net 2 years ago? Or something like that?

I think it was him. The goalie was behind the net, reached around with his stick and stopped a goal.

Old
09-20-2003, 01:05 PM
nathan

Roy's Triple Save against the Wings in 2002 Conference Finals. Shifted the momentum towards the Avs as they went up 3 game to 2. Sadly, we could not finish them off

Old
09-20-2003, 01:11 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looger
01-02 first round, boston vs. montreal, game six (i think...), nine or so minutes left, jose theodore on bill guerin, behind his back, pretty much throwing the stick.

truly ridiculous. i thought beantown could maybe, maybe do it that year...
I was at that game, it was insane. Everyone basically assumed boston had scored but somehow theo kept it out.

Old
09-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB3939
Didn't Nabokov stop one from behind the net 2 years ago? Or something like that?

I think it was him. The goalie was behind the net, reached around with his stick and stopped a goal.
I dot know about Nabby but Roy did it a couple times vs. San jose

Old
09-20-2003, 02:44 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

i'd have to go with "the save" '91 playoffs Pens vs NJ. devils (iforget who the shooter was) had a wide open net while Frank Piterangelo was on his side on by the opposite post. he just turns over, swoops his arm around and grabs the uck out of mid air. the devils and their fans thought they scored, Pens fans jaws dropped because they couldnt beleive he saved it.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:16 PM
devilsfan26

Send a message via AIM to devilsfan26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
The Pasi Nurminen save against Toronto this season. When he was lying on his stomach and stuck his leg up to save the shot.
I remember seeing Brodeur do that two or three seasons ago. Stopped it with the back of his skate blade.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Two Hasek saves stand out in my mind:

One is the desperation blocker save he made on Adam Oates vs. Washington in the 1998 playoffs. Oates had the entire net to shoot at, and Hasek still kept the puck out.

Another was one where Hasek was on his side, with his pads stacked against the right post, and the puck went all the way over to the other side. Hasek rolled to his back, arced his legs through the air, across the goal in one motion, and stacked them against the opposite post to stop a sure goal.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:02 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
I just finished browsing through the best goal thread, and thought I'd start up a thread about the best saves. Pardon me if it's been done a bunch lately, but I'm not exactly a regular on this forum of HF.

If you had a video of it, that would be awesome!
Kirk McLean in the 94 conf finals against Calgary in game 7, Bure scored the game winner shortly afterward.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
A few that come to mind...

There's a lot more, but these spring to mind immediatly.

Hasek's save where he was flat on his stomach and ended up making the save with the back of his shin.

Cujo made a save when he was back in St-Louis, where he was way out of position behind the net and ended up diving across to save an empty-netter. At least I think it was Cujo.

Richter had a few nifty ones in the 96 World Cup.

And my homer pick Jose Theodore's save against Guerin 2 years ago. I was there, so it makes it all the more special for me.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:00 PM
The Hrkac Circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
i'd have to go with "the save" '91 playoffs Pens vs NJ. devils (iforget who the shooter was) had a wide open net while Frank Piterangelo was on his side on by the opposite post. he just turns over, swoops his arm around and grabs the uck out of mid air. the devils and their fans thought they scored, Pens fans jaws dropped because they couldnt beleive he saved it.

The shooter was Petr Stastny and that was the best save I've ever seen. I have it on tape and I am marveled everytime I see it.

Old
09-21-2003, 03:45 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
This past year the Avs vs. the wings and Roy made a triple save vs. Larionov and two other wings. the last two i think were with his stick when he was on his back. the wings players coulda raised it but they didnt. Roy absolutley ROBBED them. I thought Mike Haynes was gonig to have a heart attack.

if anyone wants the sound clip. i can email it them.
Hahaa... definately the best save I've ever heard!!
Haynes sounds like a maniac!!

Old
09-21-2003, 04:50 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
best in Canucks history would be the McLean save against Calgary, triple OT in game 7.

http://ihatetheleafs.com/VIDEO/video...E_THE_GOAL.WMV

that clip has many replays and the amazing goal Bure scored to win it
Absolutely wonderful save in a pressure situation. That puck was on the goal line when his sliding pad moved over and kicked it out.

Good to see some Richter saves mentioned but I can't believe that nobody mentioned probably his biggest save of his career and canucks fans should remember it: Game 4, 1994 Stanely cup finals, penalty shot save on Pavel Bure.

Old
09-21-2003, 05:54 AM
CapsIntensity68

the most amazing save I have ever seen was by Chris Osgood on Esa Tikkanean during the 98 cup finals. Esa had the whole net open and somehow Osgood managed to dive across and make the save, oh wait, thats right, Tikkanean totally missed the net on that one, there was no need for Osgood to save it.

In all seriousness, one of the best I have seen was by Kolzig on Jan Hrdina a couple seasons back. The caps were winning 4-3 and pittsburgh was putting some serious pressure on near the end of the game. Somehow the puck ended up on Hrdina's stick and Kolzig was on the other side of the crease. Olie jumped as far as he could back across the crease and just threw his glove up in the air and caught the puck. I remember the goal light going on and the penguins players throwing their arms up and then Kolzig flipping the puck out of his glove.

Jiggy's save on Gaborik was amazing too.

Old
09-21-2003, 08:51 AM
c-carp

I have a couple more

Ken Dryden On Jim Pappin in the finals in the early 60's (I have only seen it on tape. Pappin thinks he has a slam dunk and Dryden gets just a toe on it and makes the save. Pappin even had his arms up waiting to celebrate.

Patrick Roy on Tomas Sandstrom (after making the save he winks at Sandstrom.)

Old
09-21-2003, 09:01 AM
thedjpd

I don't know if anybody remembers this, because I hardly do, but I will give it a shot.

I think it was the '94 or '95 playoffs, Chicago vs Detroit in the semi-finals. I think it was Yzerman who skated over the blue line, attracted the entire Chicago D to him. He faked around, and sent a perfect pass to Fedorov, lined up in the slot not even 15 feet from the net. Belfour was covering Yzerman, and was pretty much out of the net trying to cut down the angle on Yzerman. Anyways, the pass comes across, and Fedorov one timed the puck and started celebrating (who could blame him? The net was wide open.) But Belfour stopped skidding to the right, dove back to the left, and caught the puck with his glove.

It was one of the most amazing saves I have ever seen. Fedorov had the whole net to shoot at; Belfour wasn't even in it. But he dove back across and caught it in his glove.

If I remember correctly, it's in the beginning highlight-reel clips in NHL 2002.

Old
09-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
Kirk Mclean save on Calgary Flames guy (cant remember who) in OT GAME 7, 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Amazing save. Don Cherry i believe even thought it was the best save he had ever seen.
Bingo...I think he robbed Joel Otto, not sure though! I was only 5 when it happened

Closed Thread