HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan: NHL Tough Guy of the Week

Old
11-06-2009, 02:20 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What tools are borderline? His speed, hockey IQ, defensive abilities, and leadership skills are all well above average. His shot isn't going to be confused with Ovechkin's, but it's certainly doesn't fall into the category of "borderline NHL" a la Aaron Voros.

Beyond that, what tools are there? The fact that he's not a great passer and doesn't pull the puck between his legs to deke defenders?

I think the majority of people feel like he's a solid 2nd line winger that can play in any situation. I don't see anything in his game that speaks to the contrary.
exactly what he said...
there are parts of his game that are average and there are some that are well above average. At the very least the lesser parts of his game are average which is nowehre close to being labeled "barely NHL level". He's a solid second line player, if you expect or demand more of him, its not going to happen. Accept him for what he is a 2nd line player, and a good one, AT THE NHL LEVEL.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
exactly what he said...
there are parts of his game that are average and there are some that are well above average. At the very least the lesser parts of his game are average which is nowehre close to being labeled "barely NHL level". He's a solid second line player, if you expect or demand more of him, its not going to happen. Accept him for what he is a 2nd line player, and a good one, AT THE NHL LEVEL.
Wow, a good second line player? Can you define a good second line player for me? Because as much as I love Ryan, it aint him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:56 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Wow, a good second line player? Can you define a good second line player for me? Because as much as I love Ryan, it aint him.
Agreed.

Ryan Callahan is the model 3rd line player. He works hard, plays great defense, has the capability to score at least 20 goals per season.

I think a lot of Rangers fans get confused as to what a legit 2nd liner is because of the way our team is constructed. David Krejci, Ryan Kesler, Wojtek Wolski... these are all young players that I would consider to be 2nd line talent, and I don't think Cally falls into this category.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

is drury a good second line player? forgetting the current slump, is he considered a good second line player? If you think so I dont see how you could dispute Cally being a good 2nd line player. And when i say that i mean for this team because i dont see him playing anywhere else for quite some time.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Chris Drury is a 3rd line center. Ryan Callahan is a 3rd line forward who if he's on a hot streak can play the 2nd line.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Agreed.

Ryan Callahan is the model 3rd line player. He works hard, plays great defense, has the capability to score at least 20 goals per season.

I think a lot of Rangers fans get confused as to what a legit 2nd liner is because of the way our team is constructed. David Krejci, Ryan Kesler, Wojtek Wolski... these are all young players that I would consider to be 2nd line talent, and I don't think Cally falls into this category.
Really? I think it's the exact opposite.

150 forwards scored more points than Callahan last season. That breaks down to 5 players per team. Only 83 scored more goals than him. That's not even enough for 3 per team.

I'm not sure where people get this notion that 20+ goal scorers are falling out of the sky.

How many 3rd liners score 20+ goals in a season? Can you name ten? Five? Three?

22 goals out of a 2nd line winger is about as good as it gets. Outside of three, maybe four teams in this league, nobody is fielding a 2nd line full of 20+ goal scorers.

Last edited by Trxjw: 11-06-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Typos
Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

the voice of reason...THANK YOU!

Old
11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Really? I think it's the exact opposite.

150 forwards scored more points than Callahan last season. That breaks down to 5 players per team. Only 83 scored more goals than him. That's not even enough for 3 per team.

I'm not sure where people get this notion that 20+ goal scorers are falling out of the sky.

How many 3rd liners score 20+ goals in a season? Can you name ten? Five? Three?

22 goals out of a 2nd line winger is about as good as it gets in this league. Outside of three, maybe four teams in this league, nobody is fielding a 2nd line full of 20+ goal scorers.
Callahan benefited from playing on the top line with Gomez last year. I think 22 goals may be as good as it gets with him. The jury is still out on him with regards to being a consistent 20-goal scorer since he is so young.

The players I listed (Wolski, Kesler, Krejci) are 2nd liners not only because they can score at least 20 goals, but because they have a decent amount of assists as well. If Callahan rounds out his offensive game then I would consider him to be a top 6 player.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
OverTheCap

Another thing about Cally... he has 52 shots on goal, second on the team behind Gaborik.

But his shooting percentage is only 5.8%, the lowest on the team out aside from Rozy, Voros, and Brashear who have yet to score.

I love the kid and his effort, and his willingness to shoot the puck. But there's no denying that he has really struggled to finish off his opportunities this season, and his low shooting percentage is indicative of this.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Callahan benefited from playing on the top line with Gomez last year. I think 22 goals may be as good as it gets with him. The jury is still out on him with regards to being a consistent 20-goal scorer since he is so young.

The players I listed (Wolski, Kesler, Krejci) are 2nd liners not only because they can score at least 20 goals, but because they have a decent amount of assists as well. If Callahan rounds out his offensive game then I would consider him to be a top 6 player.
22 goals is just fine and is par for the course for a 2nd line player.

He's not a great passer, so asking him to put up more assists in order to qualify for a 2nd line winger is silly. Goals are far more important than assists to begin with.

Frankly, the fact that he scored 20+ goals last season is much more telling than the fact he's off to a tough start this year. 17 games vs 82 games. Though basing his career projection on either isn't very realistic.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote