HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Harrison Waived

Old
11-02-2009, 01:04 PM
caniac247

vCash: 500
Harrison Waived

According to Bob Mckenzie tweet Harrison has been placed on waivers. I'd assume to make room for Gleason's return Wednesday.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Thank God.

(Don't let the avatar throw you, I love the Hurricanes too)

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Joe McGrath

and there goes the worst Hurricanes defenseman I have ever seen. Maybe someone can remind me of one that was worse. This guy had me wishing he was Brian Glynn or my personal favorite Whaler whipping boy Glen "Hands of Stone" Featherstone.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I would rather have Harrison then Wallin...they both are pretty bad at d but Harrison can fight and has actually scored a goal

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
and there goes the worst Hurricanes defenseman I have ever seen. Maybe someone can remind me of one that was worse. This guy had me wishing he was Brian Glynn or my personal favorite Whaler whipping boy Glen "Hands of Stone" Featherstone.
Harrison wasn't a bad defenseman. He certainly wasn't in the class of Josef Melichar, Steve Halko, Allan Rourke, or Andrew Hutchinson.

As I stated in another thread, he's simply redundant on this roster with Ward, Wallin, Alberts, and Gleason all playing the same style.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
I would rather have Harrison then Wallin...they both are pretty bad at d but Harrison can fight and has actually scored a goal
I have no problem with a Wallin waiver/buyout either. I think it's time to let the kids in Albany to show us what they can do.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Harrison wasn't a bad defenseman. He certainly wasn't in the class of Josef Melichar, Steve Halko, Allan Rourke, or Andrew Hutchinson.

As I stated in another thread, he's simply redundant on this roster with Ward, Wallin, Alberts, and Gleason all playing the same style.
Hutchinson was better than Harrison. Halko and Rourke were probably worse though they didn't have much time in Carolina either. I didn't see Melichar though I can imagine he was awful. The way I will remember Jay is taking what should have been a routine "take the hit to move the puck up the boards" into a throw the puck to the middle of the ice for a break away for the Blues. That's not something an NHL defenseman does, and this guy isn't an NHL defenseman.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:45 PM
bleedgreen

welcome to the bigs, carson/rodney.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I thought Carson is still injured.

I saw online stream Hershey-Albany and i wasn't impressed by Rodney at all. He made few defensive mistakes and one directly resulted in a goal.

Rodney has good stick handling and passing skills, but he is undersized and isn't that good defensively.

Between Rodney and Carson I choose Carson every single time. But again, Carson is no more than your number 6 defenceman.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Never seen Jay play. Heard nothing but bad about him so good riddance.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
canesnecu

Branecky says it no suprise since the guy was waived at the start of the season.

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/15747

Quote:
As it turns out, the situation is actually nothing new. Harrison was initially placed on waivers at the beginning of the season, but since he was not claimed or reassigned, the time in which he could stay on waivers had expired. The Canes renewed his waiver status today.

As of now, no decision has been made on whether to reassign Harrison or keep things the way they are. An eventual move may depend on the status of injured defenseman Tim Gleason, who is a possibility to return for Wednesday’s game at Florida.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

hmmm well....for whatever reason even though he sucked I liked harrison. but i tell you what, i have been waiting for carson/rodney/MCBAIN to come up. I wish it could be McBain, but i know he needs more conditioning in the A. guess we'll see what happens......what is going to be sad is that i bet he wont get claimed, which means....well....no one even wants our castaways....thats sad

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I didn't mind Harrison to be honest. He is what he is and in my opinion that is nothing more than a bottom pairing/career AHL'er who if need be can fill a lower role for your defence if the need arises or on a good enough defence hold down a bottom pairing role. In all honesty to date he has made just as many bloopers as the next plug on our team and hasn't looked above and beyond out of place in comparison to many others, so I can't fault him too much. I wouldn't mind him as a full time bottom pairing defeceman on a defence core made up of a legit top 4. For me, in a way he is the kind of guy I wouldn't mind plugging in there as a 'plumber, hardhat' kind of guy if you will, if we were a team made up a little different on the backend or a team that spent to the cap and focused more of our dollars spent on talent for the top 6 forwards and top 4 defence. In that case I think Jay would be fine. With that said, on a veteran, slow team with a defence on most nights this season containing Gleason, Ward, Wallin, Alberts and then Harrison, it just doesn't work.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

McBain please

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 06:31 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Why does everyone want McBain?

He is struggling playing in AHL right now and definitely miles away from being ready to play in NHL.

He will be destroyed here, just let kid play in Albany for a year or two.

You guys want change just for the sake of change.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I didn't mind Harrison to be honest. He is what he is and in my opinion that is nothing more than a bottom pairing/career AHL'er who if need be can fill a lower role for your defence if the need arises or on a good enough defence hold down a bottom pairing role. In all honesty to date he has made just as many bloopers as the next plug on our team and hasn't looked above and beyond out of place in comparison to many others, so I can't fault him too much. I wouldn't mind him as a full time bottom pairing defeceman on a defence core made up of a legit top 4. For me, in a way he is the kind of guy I wouldn't mind plugging in there as a 'plumber, hardhat' kind of guy if you will, if we were a team made up a little different on the backend or a team that spent to the cap and focused more of our dollars spent on talent for the top 6 forwards and top 4 defence. In that case I think Jay would be fine. With that said, on a veteran, slow team with a defence on most nights this season containing Gleason, Ward, Wallin, Alberts and then Harrison, it just doesn't work.
This is about how I feel. Harrison would have been a welcome addition to last year's quick defense corp that needed more bulk, and would be a good injury replacement for any of the 4 players listed above. The problem came in when Harrison was the replacement for an injured Pitkanen. Now we realize the team needs more than just Pitkanen moving the puck on the blue line.

I think Rodney is the short-term answer here, as he has more experience than McBain. I agree leaving McBain to develop in Albany this year is the right move. Rodney looked good in a brief stint last year; give him another chance. It's not like the power play and defense could look much worse....

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 08:05 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I cant disagree with your assesment of harrison more. A guy like McKee, Hnidy, Weaver or Tollefson would be a guy that fits your description not Harrison. And there were plenty of those bottom pairing guys for hire in the offseason but we decided to try to make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Any of those guys paired with Alberts would have been a major upgrade. There is a reason those guys were in demand and a guy like harrison was been toiling away in the A. I agree with your premise of building a legit top 4 and top 6 but even in that scenario i dont want Harrison in my bottom pair.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Why does everyone want McBain?

He is struggling playing in AHL right now and definitely miles away from being ready to play in NHL.

He will be destroyed here, just let kid play in Albany for a year or two.

You guys want change just for the sake of change.
I agree with this post. Don't get me wrong, I'll get really excited if they do call him up, but I'll still suspect deep down that it is for the worst.

11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
hyena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
he's simply redundant on this roster with Ward, Wallin, Alberts, and Gleason all playing the same style.
yeah -- craptastic. (sans Gleason because he's been out)

hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

McBain has improved more from Game 1 to now than any player in Albany... I think his upside for next year is huge and I'd like to see him at least get the chance to see some NHL action this year... If he looks out matched after 3-4 games, send him back...

Just an opinion... Sometimes people excel when you don't think they will

Old
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
I agree. I'd just like to see it later in the season to be honest. He could develop just a bit more in the AHL for a little while, and by the time he gets here could be ready. I say give him at least another month in the AHL, preferably two.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Carolinafan

Harrison cleared and has been assigned to Albany.

Carolinafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinafan View Post
Harrison cleared and has been assigned to Albany.

Old
11-07-2009, 09:25 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
If you are looking for a defensive dman that's tough and a good team player, Alex Henry was waived by Montreal yesterday. He is to be the captain of the AHL Bulldogs. He would be a good 6/7 dman and brings experience 177 NHL games.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
If you are looking for a defensive dman that's tough and a good team player, Alex Henry was waived by Montreal yesterday. He is to be the captain of the AHL Bulldogs. He would be a good 6/7 dman and brings experience 177 NHL games.
We just sent a guy fitting that description down to Albany. We're not looking for another one.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote