HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Malone leaves Finland; Brooks Orpik considering offer from St. Petersburg.

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2004, 05:54 PM
clefty
What?

vCash: 500
Ryan Malone leaves Finland; Brooks Orpik considering offer from St. Petersburg.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04307/405287.stm

Malone became frustrated with the officiating and did not adapt well to the European game, and henceforth declined the offer from Espoo Blues to extend his one month contract. He's joined the US National Team for the Deutschland Cup next week.

Quote:
"The refs are ... man, they're awful," he said. "I have to go back to my high school days at Upper St. Clair for the last time I had games officiated like that. They just will not let you play a physical game over there. It got to the point where I was just trying to skate with one hand on my stick and the other in the air, just to see if they could still call a penalty on me."
Ric Jackman had similar complaints.

Also, Brooks Orpik has received an offer from St. Petersburg SKA and Matt Bradley is close to signing a deal to play in Norway.

Old
12-06-2004, 08:54 AM
coyotechrisz

Send a message via ICQ to coyotechrisz
Rumors say that Ryan Malone probably will join the Austrian Hockey Club "Villacher SV". They Hockey Club VSV will decide today if the will take Malone or not. Rumors also say that only the signature for the contract is missing.

Old
12-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Fleuryfan29

Rumors, Rumors, Rumors........... :lol

Old
12-07-2004, 03:14 AM
coyotechrisz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryfan29
Rumors, Rumors, Rumors........... :lol
And.. what's the Problem with Rumors?

Old
12-07-2004, 03:16 AM
Jacob

Maybe someone can confirm, but I thought I heard Craig Patrick hint that more Penguins-property players could be joining the baby Penguins should the lockout continue.

Old
12-07-2004, 04:13 AM
I.am.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Maybe someone can confirm, but I thought I heard Craig Patrick hint that more Penguins-property players could be joining the baby Penguins should the lockout continue.

Not sure but don't some guys have to sign a different contract or something to play in the NHL or something like that. I am talking about the Chelios thing or was it Chelios who tried to play in the AHL and had to pass something to get in the AHL.

Can't remember exactly what, but is that even a good idea? Throwing guys down to the WBS team and then having the guys that should be playing in that competitive environment for developmental purposes get sent to the ECHL which isn't really loaded with prospects of the future.

Old
12-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Zoo

I'd rather see players like Malone, Orpik get playing time in WBS than guys who I see don't have a future with the pens down the road. Malone and Orpik are huge building blocks for us and it would beneificial for them in the long run.

Old
12-07-2004, 07:18 AM
I.am.ca

Yeah, 2 guys would be fine, but i mean like 5-6 guys all of a sudden being assigned to the WBS Penguins, it could hurt the chemistry.

But yeah, Malone and Orpik should be on the wbs team getting loads of icetime.

Old
12-07-2004, 08:24 AM
coyotechrisz

Malone will not join the Austrian Club VSV..

He isn't allowed to go to Europe again, say the Penguins.. the rather want the he Plays for the Farmteam.

Old
12-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Fleuryfan29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotechrisz
Malone will not join the Austrian Club VSV..

He isn't allowed to go to Europe again, say the Penguins.. the rather want the he Plays for the Farmteam.
I think most of us would rather have him in WBS anyways. I would love to see what he can do with Kris Beech.

Old
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Zoo

I would rather see him with ..

Malone - Endicott - Armstrong

With there size and grit, they could be hard to stop. Surovy can drop down a play with Beech cause Ouellet is gonna play with Eaves.

Old
12-07-2004, 08:20 PM
blackgoldblue

I was under the impression that the reason Malone and Orpik aren't in WBS was because they were not eligible. Am I wrong?

Old
12-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.am.ca
Yeah, 2 guys would be fine, but i mean like 5-6 guys all of a sudden being assigned to the WBS Penguins, it could hurt the chemistry.

But yeah, Malone and Orpik should be on the wbs team getting loads of icetime.
They'd likely bump someone decent out of playing time. Especially on the blueline. As much as I'd like to see them all playing together as a team, bringing Orpik in would bump Whitney or Koci way too far down the depth chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer Penguin
I was under the impression that the reason Malone and Orpik aren't in WBS was because they were not eligible. Am I wrong?
Everyone is elligible, you just have to sign a contract.

Old
12-07-2004, 09:47 PM
DJ Spinoza

Orpik + AHL = bad

The only players who might really be worth bringing into the AHL are guys like Salmonsson who got bumped out of a role, or better yet Bartschi who is older. But I don't think there's any pressing need to get anybody into the AHL.

Jake, CP kind of hinted at it in an interview a few games ago with Grace. He didn't really mention anybody by name, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Malone joined the Penguins. Maybe another player or two. He didn't really go into much detail as to who he meant, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

But the AHL hasn't been kind to Orpik so far. He seems prone to mistakes because the game isn't as organized (for lack of a better word) as it is in the NHL. Orpik's kind of in a tough spot right now. I don't really think playing in the AHL would be good for him, and there's no room anyways.

Old
12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Zoo

Another player who I wouldn't mind seeing back with WBS is Ondrej Nemec. I thought he really started to play well last season, apart from that one play. I don't know why he didn't stick around.

Old
12-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Orpik + AHL = bad

The only players who might really be worth bringing into the AHL are guys like Salmonsson who got bumped out of a role, or better yet Bartschi who is older. But I don't think there's any pressing need to get anybody into the AHL.

Jake, CP kind of hinted at it in an interview a few games ago with Grace. He didn't really mention anybody by name, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Malone joined the Penguins. Maybe another player or two. He didn't really go into much detail as to who he meant, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

But the AHL hasn't been kind to Orpik so far. He seems prone to mistakes because the game isn't as organized (for lack of a better word) as it is in the NHL. Orpik's kind of in a tough spot right now. I don't really think playing in the AHL would be good for him, and there's no room anyways.
I only saw Orpik a few times in the AHL, but I never saw the clumsy play that baby Penguins fans complained about. One thing he doesn't do much of down there is open-ice hitting, simply because the game is not very structured and the attacking players are all over the place. But the AHL in general is a tough league for any defenseman to look good in for those reasons.

You're right though, other than being amongst future teammates Orpik doesn't have much to prove there. If he's getting offers from Russia, he can go there. Plus, as I said, you bring in Orpik then somebody, likely Koci or Nasreddine, is going to get benched. That's no good.

I'd like to see Malone give Europe another try because, again, bringing him in would push someone else out of a roster spot. It may force Therrien to move Malone to the right side where he is definitely NOT comfortable at.

Old
12-07-2004, 10:27 PM
DJ Spinoza

I think Orpik has said in interviews that he much prefers the NHL flow of play to the AHL flow, or something along those lines.

I never really saw him play, but I listened to every playoff game last year, and it sounded like Orpik was playing pretty poorly. And Grace leans towards the Pens always, to say the least, so I took it as Orpik playing poorly.

It would be interesting to see how Malone would do. Right now, there's kind of an overload at LW as it is. I guess he could play RW, or who knows, maybe even work him in at center, which is also pretty crowded even without Eaves, if center is indeed where the Pens see him.

Right now it's weird. There's sort of a logjam, yet none of the players seem to be screaming "I'm ready" or anything. Players like Abid and Beech would have been with the Pens due to waivers, so maybe that would have cleared some spots and freed up time.

It's just kind of awkward to have so much depth and have it all at the same time. It's kind of inevitable that somebody is going to get a worse hand dealt to them because there just isn't room for everybody in Wilkes Barre. Luckily a player like Salmonsson is still very young, and a player like Bartschi is not going to get bumped out of a role even though he is in a weaker league.

Anshakov is one player who's really in a tough spot, it would seem. Maybe it's worth signing him in the middle of the season and bringing him over, if he would do it? The prospects for ice time in the RSL in any form don't look very promising.

Old
12-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Jacob

If it isn't too late I'd like to see Salmonsson go to Canadian Juniors after the WJCs. This has been my humble opinion since draft day.

Anshakov is tricky. CSKA likes to play hardball, and while they aren't playing the guy a lick, they still probably wouldn't be interested in terminating his contract. I'm hoping they're sending him to the 2nd tier league for ice time. Remember that next year, when the lockout ends, guys like Frolov and Zherdev all go back home and Anshakov will have an opportunity to see a ton of ice time. So patience may be worth while.

Something can be said for a team that sticks together all season long. Not that Malone and Orpik are bad seeds by any means, but they may disrupt the chemistry a bit being mid-season additions. The baby Penguins, while not the greatest team, do seem to be a close-knit group of guys right now.

Old
12-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Fleuryfan29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
If it isn't too late I'd like to see Salmonsson go to Canadian Juniors after the WJCs. This has been my humble opinion since draft day.
I don't think a CHL team has drafted him yet in the import draft, but if you know something that I don't can you tell me which team has his rights?

Closed Thread