HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Ward Injury updates (expected to play on 12/8/2009 against NJ)

Old
11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
karparules

vCash: 500
It's really cool to see all the well-wishes from fans of other teams on here. Thanks! Classy stuff.

I agree with MaineHockey1 about Fernandez. I'm not a fan of that guy. I think we could do worse than to sign Kevin Weekes for the rest of the year. He played well last season and has a storied past with the Canes. We all know how much JR likes to dip into the past rosters, so it seems logical! I can't imagine that Kevin would be very expensive to sign.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

This is really, really ****** news but seeing it live I kind of knew it was going to happen. He looked in so much pain and couldn't walk. It looked like such a harmless play too. He's easily my favorite player, too.

If I were to guess on what they would do, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a long look at one of the Islanders' goalies. DiPietro is expected back soon so that leaves somebody out. Biron is signed at 1.4 but expires this year, and Roloson is signed at 2.5 for another year. I'd love to see them get Roloson, even though he makes a lot, and possibly make him the backup next year. They'll have the room if they do indeed have a firesale.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

What compounds this is, now if we trade for someone, we lose a piece that we could have traded for offensive help... This season is a damn disaster... I am very concerned over what exactly he cut now... Tendons, major artery?

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:27 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
The question there is why trade? The team is 2-11-3 with goaltending being the least of our problems so far this season. Why give up an asset for a goalie when we're in no position to make any kind of push for the playoffs as is? If we were 12-11-3 I could see it but we're a LONG way off from there.

Just sign Weekes out of retirement or Fernandez. If they're not winning with one of the top 10 goalies in hockey in net they're sure as hell not going to be winning without him. Why give up an asset when we're already shafted to begin with?

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
The question there is why trade? The team is 2-11-3 with goaltending being the least of our problems so far this season. Why give up an asset for a goalie when we're in no position to make any kind of push for the playoffs as is? If we were 12-11-3 I could see it but we're a LONG way off from there.

Just sign Weekes out of retirement or Fernandez. If they're not winning with one of the top 10 goalies in hockey in net they're sure as hell not going to be winning without him.
I'm sure JR will screw this up completely... Also, whoever we sign MUST be at least 35 years old, I mean we don't sign guys until their AARP mail starts to show up

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:33 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

if they go the trade route, hopefully they don't go crazy.
obviously, after this news, it's going to be tough to get back in the mix.
unfortunately, i think we all had high hopes for this season, but let's call it a loss and just move on and prepare for 2010-11.
selling the franchise for a rental player just doesn't seem like it would be worth it.
maybe giving peters a chance would be the best option.
however, with the canes tight budget, it seems like they just can't write off the year.
they need to put fannies in the seats and that's not happening here unless they start winning.
interested in seeing what they do.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I just saw the replay right now. It didn't look like much until they showed the trail of blood as he was taken off the ice.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

11-08-2009, 12:34 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

Just sign Weekes out of retirement or Fernandez. If they're not winning with one of the top 10 goalies in hockey in net they're sure as hell not going to be winning without him. Why give up an asset when we're already shafted to begin with?
agreed.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I'm sure JR will screw this up completely... Also, whoever we sign MUST be at least 35 years old, I mean we don't sign guys until their AARP mail starts to show up
If it's a one year deal it won't matter if they retire on us anyway. They could bring a 62 year old Ken Dryden out of retirement for all I care as long as it's a 1 year deal.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:38 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Another Bruins fan here..scary to see Cam Ward get injured like that, I hope he makes a full recovery

To echo MaineHockey1's comments about Fernandez- stay far away from him, the guy has back issues. He missed a ton of time when he was with us with back problems.

Good luck!

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:44 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

based on the comments from bruins fans, i'd bet we're signing manny f to a 3-year deal.
bank it.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Afino
The Juice

Terrible news. Hope he gets better ASAP - that was an ugly injury.

Just to throw in my two cents, I would be in the sign Kevin Weekes (or anyone off the street) camp. Don't go trading for someone.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead3k View Post
based on the comments from bruins fans, i'd bet we're signing manny f to a 3-year deal.
bank it.
You sound as fond of your GM as we are of ours at times.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Amberite

Devils fan here. In NJ we have quite a nice rivalry going with you guys (at least on our side), but I gotta say it made me sick to see that happening to Ward. It sucks for you guys and I'm sorry it happened and I wish Ward a speedy recovery. I know you guys are struggling right now but I hope he comes back soon and you guys right the ship. All my best wishes!

Amberite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Chrispy

The official depth chart lists Peters behind Leighton. That's obviously the short-term answer; whether it's the long-term remains to be seen. I wouldn't mind seeing a decent split between those two.

That said, if Manny Fernandez is available and cheap, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot on a one-year deal. If he gets hurt, we're back to Leighton and Peters while losing very little.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:33 PM
TOCanadafan

Trade for Toskala from the Leafs!

- signed,
a Leaf fan.

TOCanadafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
caniac247

This sucks so bad, and i'm pissed they aren't saying anything. What was cut, artery, tendon.

I frankly don't want Peters subjected to the ***** that would be playing in front him. No need to ruin his confidence now. Keep him in Albany where the guys are better.

Since we recycle players, it'll be a matter of time before Shady 80 is back in Raleigh.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Seeing our share of cuts as a Panther fan, I hope Ward can get back from this fine. Anyone know if anything major was damaged?

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Seeing our share of cuts as a Panther fan, I hope Ward can get back from this fine. Anyone know if anything major was damaged?
That's the worst part about this whole thing. They're not annoucing if it was an artery, a tendon, or what exactly was hurt. Having some kind of information would be a great relief to the fanbase, even if the outlook is quite difficult.

Old
11-08-2009, 02:20 PM
wingsarekings*

What bout Vesa Toskala?

If I recall Toskala has his best year with Paul Maurice in 07-08 with the buds. Maybe those 2 together would work out?

wingsarekings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Afino
The Juice

If he lost that much blood, it had to have been some sort of artery, right?

And then with the tendons, there's been a couple of players recently (Markov? Gaustad did too a couple years ago) who had tendons cut in their ankles and missed months.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I don't see us trading for anyone. A signing might be possible, but I think it's far more likely we'll just stick with Leighton and Peters.

Leighton's played a decent amount of games before (30 something with Chicago). And if we give a little of the payload to Peters, we can hold on until Ward returns.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Isles72

I dont think he's the best option but has manny fernandez been keeping in game shape somehow ?

some guys skate with local college for example .....

get well soon Cam

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:25 PM
WalkerBabe

I woke up today thinking about all my fellow 'Canes fans who were going to wake up and remember what happened to Cam last night, and feel just as miserable as I do! It's the first time since I started following the team about seven years ago that I actually feel like crying, in relation to the team. (And I'm guessing it's not just we "girl fans" who feel that way ... )

Please get well soon, Cam, and know that we're all trying to send good, healing vibes your way!!!

Thanks to all the fans around the league who are dropping in here to wish Cam well! We appreciate it ...

Last edited by WalkerBabe: 11-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.
WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:36 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Good luck Ward, have a speedy recovery

As for as the canes goaltending situation.. hopefully you guys dont go all out and trade for a ridiculous goalie... i'd be on the boat to give your prospects a chance

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote