HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Ward Injury updates (expected to play on 12/8/2009 against NJ)

Old
11-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Ambassador Bridge

vCash: 500
From a Leafs fan.......................

Hoping the injury is not too serious; get well soon.

Cam Ward is a super player.

Ambassador Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Some news: http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/11...zed_afte.shtml

Quote:
Carolina goaltender Cam Ward had surgery late Saturday or early Sunday at Riverside Methodist Hospital to repair a lacerated muscle in his left thigh, The Dispatch has learned.

He's expected to remain hospitalized through Sunday, but could return to Raliegh, N.C., on Monday.

11-08-2009, 03:02 PM
naaat721

I'm a Penguins fan, first and foremost, but with family/friends in the area, and some fantastic experiences at the RBC Center, I keep close tabs on the Canes and always love to see them do well. Cam is probably my favorite goalie in the NHL, so best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery, and to you guys as fans. I've seen my team hit rock bottom before, and it sucks--but it makes the good times that much better.

But for now: good luck in the meantime--hopefully management figures out a way to steady the ship in Cam's absence without destroying hopes for trading for some offensive help.

naaat721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:09 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Can anyone with medical background tell how bad lacerated thigh injury is or could be?

Personally, i would hate to see us to trade for a goalie. Signing someone like Manni or another FA goalie i can swallow.

IMHO, the best case would be to split the time between Leighton and Peters. The team isn't going anywhere but it would give both goalies good experience and a good test whether Peters is ready to be our backup next year. Although, we'd probably still have to sign someone to play in Albany.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:12 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Can anyone with medical background tell how bad lacerated thigh injury is or could be?

12 weeks to heal depending on how deep it was.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
We're looking at a two month bare minimum from the sounds of it. They got the surgery done promptly which should help recovery time and minimize the formation of deep scar tissue.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:13 PM
DoomMF

Quote:

Personally, i would hate to see us to trade for a goalie. Signing someone like Manni or another FA goalie i can swallow.

IMHO, the best case would be to split the time between Leighton and Peters. The team isn't going anywhere but it would give both goalies good experience and a good test whether Peters is ready to be our backup next year. Although, we'd probably still have to sign someone to play in Albany.
I think we should just go with Leighton and Peters. Why bother with Fernandez? Or even Krahn, that someone mentioned earlier woudl be fine by me....or Tobias Stephan.....just keep bringing in Stars rejects.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
12 weeks to heal depending on how deep it was.
we can call start interviewing Hall and Seguin.

Old
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
At this rate, I think it's safe to say we're truly destined for a top 3 pick.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Chrispy

Quote:

That's one good option. But as I think about this, 2-3 months of a rental of a goalie like Fernandez could lead to flipping Fernandez at the deadline when Ward is healthy. If they do that, it holds Peters in development and could bring back a marginal prospect.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

This is awful news, but I trust he will recover! Maybe this will be best for the franchise long term though, ya know, hastening the rebuilding process.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:29 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Biron from the isles would be a good stop gap

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:49 PM
dmonk
doughberle

very dry official press-release from Canes, only says that Ward is expected out for minimum 3-4 weeks, which would be incredibly quick recovery, IMHO.

Quote:
WARD EXPECTED TO BE RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL MONDAY

Goaltender suffered laceration of upper leg and will be out a minimum of 3-4 weeks

RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, announced today that Hurricanes goaltender Cam Ward will remain at Riverside Methodist Hospital in Columbus, OH, through Sunday night. Ward is expected to return to Raleigh on Monday, where he will be evaluated further by Hurricanes Head Orthopedic Physician Dr. Marty Isbell. The goaltender is expected to miss a minimum of three to four weeks of action.

Ward suffered a laceration of the left upper leg from the skate of Columbus forward Rick Nash, as Nash passed through the crease during the first period of Carolina’s 3-2 loss to the Blue Jackets on Saturday night. He was originally expected to return to Raleigh on Sunday, but will remain in Columbus through tonight to guard against infection.

Old
11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Well as long as he's back for the start of next season. I just hope no permanent damage is done.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Biron from the isles would be a good stop gap
Honestly we're at the point where I'd rather just not bother trading the picks it would take to get him and sign one of Legace, Fernandez or Weekes (assuming they can coax Weekes out of retirement).

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:55 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

At least one month without Cam i expected, so... another one month without win.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

If Ward's contract is insured, this will at least save ole Pete K some money. If it's not, then don't look for us to sign anyone!

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:59 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

As if this the start of the season wasn't crappy enough for Ward.. this injury pretty much kills his chance to make Team Canada for the Olympics for his first time. He will have to wait until 2014 it looks like.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:02 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
very dry official press-release from Canes, only says that Ward is expected out for minimum 3-4 weeks, which would be incredibly quick recovery, IMHO.
Lame presser release. 12 weeks if they want it repaired and healed correctly. Quad muscle is the bread and butter for a goalie. Olympic break, if all goes well.

I predict a trade or something is underway right now, why else would JR be so sneaky aboujt what he's disclosing. Dude has to know that tweets are all over the net coming out of Columbus.

Last edited by canesnecu: 11-08-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
dammit100

to me, this should be the omen to JR that this is a non-playoff year. that being the case, bring up a young goalie, get them some NHL experience and wins be damned this season.

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The main concern after an operation like this is infection, which is why he's being held. If the laceration was deep, they probably put some internal stitches in it and then cleaned it up and sealed it up.

Plus, he's not going to be able to move around a whole lot which will cause some atrophy in the muscles. Even if the physical healing time is 3-4 weeks, then the time to get adjusted to putting weight on the leg will take longer.

And simply put, we're not going to rush back our franchise goaltender in what amounts to a lost season, depending on where we are in a month from now.

It wouldn't shock me to not see him back until the New Year.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:54 PM
DoomMF

If they're saying 3-4 weeks you have to go with Peters...no reason to even bother with Fernandez or anyone else.

That being said, no way it's only 3-4 weeks.......

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:14 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

a Biron deal is a non starter...The Isles would want something decent for him, not to mention the fact that Marty and Garth Snow have a gentlemans agreement on trading him after DP comes back and it wouldnt include trading him to the last place team in the league(unless maybe he is promised that Cam is done for the year and he would get full time minutes)

I would bet/guarantee that a free agent will be signed. The Canes want those kids in Albany to be playing on a winner and Peters provides quality AHL goaltending. Moving Peters up and leaving Murph all by himself would be a terrible idea since he isnt remotely ready to handle full time AHL duties.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
canesnecu

3-4 weeks would be for a deep skin laceration with no muscle involved. Does anyone think the Columbus Dispatch would make up news about a suregery for fun? JR is scrambling to keep info quiet so every other team and goalie doesnt hold all the negotiating cards.

What human following hockey doesnt know the canes are in dire straights even before the injury? Come on JR, keep that poker face and dont sell the farm just yet. It aint worth it for thsi season.

For the Biron lovers, DePietro isnt ready yet to my knowledge so are they ready to deal their back up yet?

Old
11-08-2009, 05:20 PM
caniac247

I call BS on out 3-4 weeks, there is no way. OK, maybe he can start skating in 3-4 weeks, but no way will he be ready to play in 3-4 weeks.

Commie tweeted that he went to see Cam and brought him so food.
Too bad he can't tell us how he's doing.

I really don't want Peters subjected to this crap, I'd rather sign Legace or Fernandez and allow Cam to take all the time he needs to heal. This season is lost anyway, I'm looking forward to drafting Seguin or Hall, it's whats getting me through this hell of a season.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote