HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 15 | Detroit Red Wings @ Toronto Maple Leafs | 7:00 PM EST | CBC, NHLN-US (HD) |

Old
11-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I'm not expecting any major moves. And I'm not sure any are really required. There was a bit of a hiccup tonight but they had also played a few solid games before that - so we know the ability is there. It's just getting it on a consistant basis. Which has to go back to the (relatively) massive roster turnover and the abundance of youth on the team. I'm with Fugu in thinking Devellano was being fairly truthful in expectations because the Wings are looking to ride things out with their youngsters and they know the road will be rough.

Also, I'm just not sold that there will be any trades out there that will be beneficial for us now and down the road. Nylander could be a quick fix but would anyone really want to absorb that $5 million against next year's cap as well? I wouldn't. And I don't think Holland is too thrilled about taking on such a player/contract, either.

Maybe there will be a smaller move for someone who is about to be a UFA but I think a waiver pickup is actually more likely. I think what we see could really be what we have.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:57 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'm not expecting any major moves. And I'm not sure any are really required. There was a bit of a hiccup tonight but they had also played a few solid games before that - so we know the ability is there. It's just getting it on a consistant basis. Which has to go back to the (relatively) massive roster turnover and the abundance of youth on the team. I'm with Fugu in thinking Devellano was being fairly truthful in expectations because the Wings are looking to ride things out with their youngsters and they know the road will be rough.

Also, I'm just not sold that there will be any trades out there that will be beneficial for us now and down the road. Nylander could be a quick fix but would anyone really want to absorb that $5 million against next year's cap as well? I wouldn't. And I don't think Holland is too thrilled about taking on such a player/contract, either.

Maybe there will be a smaller move for someone who is about to be a UFA but I think a waiver pickup is actually more likely. I think what we see could really be what we have.
I hate to rain on the parade, but we played two injury-riddled teams in Boston and San Jose who had injuries more significant than ours, and we barely scrapped together wins. Those aren't exactly great indications that we've turned a corner, especially with only 6 goals in the past 4 games, not including the EN.

But I'm not expecting any major moves, either, if any moves at all. Kenny recently insinuated that he would wait til around the 35 game mark to make moves anyway.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I hate to rain on the parade, but we played two injury-riddled teams in Boston and San Jose who had injuries more significant than ours, and we barely scrapped together wins. Those aren't exactly great indications that we've turned a corner, especially with only 6 goals in the past 4 games, not including the EN.

But I'm not expecting any major moves, either, if any moves at all. Kenny recently insinuated that he would wait til around the 35 game mark to make moves anyway.
Neither team was the picture of health but I wouldn't call either team injury riddled or that they were significantly more banged up than us. I didn't say that they were games showing we had turned the corner, but that they were games that show what the Wings are still capable of. And they did play very well and against two pretty good teams and walked away with wins.

I don't expect the Wings to win a lot of 5-1 games and I also don't expect them to lose a lot of 1-5 games (hence, tonight being a hiccup). I expect a lot of stretches where we score 6, give up 4 and walk away with the lion's share of the points.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:27 AM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He just may get his shot.
I still can't believe the Leafs let Williams go. The kid has good speed, and a very accurate shot. All he was lacking was a chance. I'm sure he will join the list of players the Leafs gave away too early only to see do well elsewhere.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:31 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

We scrapped 2 wins, but the team played well defencively. Obviously that is what they worked on. They did not work that much on offense and scoring goals and the PP struggled.
The team did not completely turned a corner, but the team is about to do it. It is pity though as this should be 2 easy points, but the Leafs have played well themselves and got 10 out of 14 points.
This was a bad loss, but there's nothing to do about. Just to move on and forget this game.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:11 AM
14ari13

The Wings (Osgood) struggle on the road for whatever reason. This loss is hard to swallow and in addition another injury.
How much cap room do we have now? Franzen 4M+Filppula 3M+Williams 1,5M+Lilja 1,2 it is roughly 9,7M.

I think Babcock started Osgood as he played 3 solid games, though it seemed logical to start Howard this game. I do not think it was wrong to start Osgood. Osgood was not very good in this game, but I do not think it is our main problem.
The team struggles offensively even our 1st PP unit with Datsyuk, Z, red hot Holmstrom, Lidstrom and Rafalski struggles a lot. The team scored 6 goals (empty net) in last 4 games, it is way too little.
I do not think there's need to panic. Babcock will work on the issues and the team will make the next step, but some games might be very irritating to watch.
I find it a little bit strange that we lost this big to EC teams the Sabres 6-2 and the Leafs 5-1. We use to dominate EC teams and win easily.

Last edited by 14ari13: 11-08-2009 at 10:17 AM.
14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Jussha

Overall the team was actually playing pretty solid in the first until that first goal happened when Draper lost an edge on his skate. Once Toronto scored that first goal though Detroit seemed to lose that momentum they had the first 10 min or so.

It sucks that Eaves did not play last night though, Leino does not work on that line well at all because he doesn't have the right speed to play with Helm and Draper like Eaves does, plus Helm and Eaves seem to have some really nice chemistry forming.

Our first pp unit sucks right now and is not moving the puck well at all. Based on my observations I'm really thinking that Rafalski is the reason this unit is not clicking well right now. He is making both very slow decisions and ones that aren't smart, which tells me he is either not 100% or actually knows that his playing quite poorly right now that he is second guessing himself, causing him to make even more stupid decisions. When our pp is rolling the vast majority of the time we gain the zone by the D skating to the red line and doing that drop pass to Pavel who then accepts the drop pass with speed and gains the zone very easily. There have been a number of times now that I have seen Rafalski skate to the red line and know that is the play he has to do, but he takes a couple seconds more than normal to do the drop pass and Pavel doesn't get the drop pass the way he normally does and then he ends up struggling to gain the zone which is a bit irritating.

Our second pp unit is pretty weak as well, and this is where Filppula is useful because he is a centre and at least has the speed to draw the defenders back and gain the zone. Leino Cleary and Bertuzzi has got to be an odd combination on the PP and I think I'd rather Helm centre that unit than Cleary.

I'm hoping that Leino is just in some funk now cause he is playing very poorly. I'm sure most ppl did not think he would produce the lost points of Hudler right in his first season, but most definitely they were hoping for more than what they are getting now. Sam Gagner in Edmonton in his first season had a horrible first half, but then proceeded to put up 38 pts in his final 38 games I believe (might have been 28 in the final 28 can't remember) and wound up with 49 pts on the season so lets just hope something similar happens to Leino. Although he is as slow as molasses right now I swear in the first three games his skating seemed to have significantly improved from last season, but right now it actually seems worse.

Overall though I am not worried, even though we should have not lost to Toronto the way we did, I think putting Eaves back in hopefully next game is all the difference we need. The Helm Eaves Draper line is a good energy line that actually gets the rest of the team going, having Leino's slow ass on that line just killed any potential energy infusions the rest of the team could have got last night LOL.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
And what do you know? Gustavsson goes down and leaves the top shelf open. Shocker.
... I'd say most butterfly goalies do that? He's pretty big in net though and doesn't show a lot for players to shoot at. Lidstrom commented on that today saying he reminds him of Lundqvist. Sure, he's not unbeatable by any means but .918 is nothing to sneeze at.

Oh, and call up Jeremy Williams. He'll probably get a goal in his first game up, he always does.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote