HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Combined numbers of Brodeur's backups since 1994

Old
11-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Dr Grant

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Marty gives the Devils a chance to win every night he plays, not vice
versa. The man is never rattled easy, and when he takes a **** on the ice he often follows it up next game with a shutout.

He makes the Devils. I don't care what the numbers and stats say. No Marty, no 95, 00, or 03 cups.

I do appreciate the stat work though. It's just that I've been following hockey and have been a diehard since 1994, and I can't help but to feel this way. The guy made multiple ASG appearances, Vezinas, Olympic gold etc... We had one of the best D's in the league. Now, we
have almost no superstar Dmen and he still gives us a chance to win. That alone proves it to me, or else players like Mottau and Salvador would be raking in serious cash.

People think that Nieds, Stevens, Raffi and Dano made Marty look good. They made him look even better by leaving

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
The best recommendation for Brodeur is the fact that his numbers have remained pretty much consistent despite the fact that several great defencemen have left the team over the years. Also important is the fact that the Devils have not had any semblance of stability in the coaching job for years now. As a result, there is no enduring system that the team has played, because every new coach brings his own style. Yet the team has made the playoffs every year, even with some truly horrifying lineups in front of him. He has been a rock in goal.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 03:44 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

We have a great bunch of guys here at HFboards, but the absolute worst thing about American sports fans is the statistical analysis that most put so much stock into.

If we could go back in time, get a camera fixed on Marty and Clemmensen from last season for 60 minutes and put the footage side by side, you'll see just how good the man is.

Hell, we could even make this a 20 game, 1200 minutes of mind numbingly boring footage, sample so that the stats bunnies don't go off on small samples sizes rah rah rah....

That turned into a rant, but my point stands. Stats analysis is absolute crap. It's that mindset which makes NFL, MLB and basketball (to a point), so popular. Tons of stats, little substance in the game.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:21 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Strength of schedule is a definite factor but it's impossible to calculate accurately. I'll do win/loss later but I expect that to be in the same range as GAA/%.

While strength of schedule and consistency provide arguments against the backup stats I think the Clemmensen/Weekes performance last year provides very solid support it.

I am not claiming that Brodeur isn't better than his backups - he obviously is. Just that he's not completely integral to the Devils success and that they can survive after he leaves.
Agreed Brit, you could tell just by looking that Clemmer was getting amazing support from the team. which brings me to the Stats....sorry....

In regrds to last seasons stats, if you calculate tha amount of goals the team scored while Marty was injured vs the amount while he was healthy, i'd have to imagine it is substantial... that team was scoring like crazy. Then when Marty came back, it seemed as though they stopped. The goal differential would be cool to see....

Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 11-09-2009 at 08:30 AM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:05 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
I'm curious to see how Marty's goal support compares to that of his back-ups since 1994.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
This is worth a look:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...,2805684.story

Quote:
The Panthers signed Clemmensen, 32, to a three-year, $3.6 million free agent contract in July after a breakout season in New Jersey filling in for the injured Martin Brodeur.

"I'm still learning how to play for this team. It's very different from what I'm used to in the past with New Jersey," Clemmensen said. "I haven't been able to get set and concentrate on one shot at a time. It's been so scrambled that, for me, the four games I've gotten in so far, have just been surviving. And you can't play that way in this league. I'm still learning how to incorporate my game into this playing style we have."
What's strange is I look at the Panther's defense and I think it's actually pretty good.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
MauDevils

I said it last your, Clemmer was bad. He would go butterfly and he would commit to one save. He was so slow to start moving again...the puck would be loose in the crease and our Dmen would get to it faster than he could.

If the guy doesn't get to the first shot, he's getting scored on.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
This is worth a look:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...,2805684.story

What's strange is I look at the Panther's defense and I think it's actually pretty good.
They're average. They give up way too many shots, always have.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Clemmers glove was terrible last year. Worse than lundqvist's. He went through that 4 or 5 game stratch where he was burned high glove in each game. Man did Mike Green abuse him. Also, he's always looked rather stiff in net to me. His lateral movement isn't all that great. Not the type of goalie you want playing behind a florida team that gives up a lot of shots and is going to require you to scramble a lot.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote