HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The salary cap question -- 121 players polled by Hockey News

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2004, 08:14 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
The salary cap question -- 121 players polled by Hockey News

Hockey News

Old
12-08-2004, 08:47 AM
SENSible1*

From the article

Quote:
"I think if they did impose a cap and players started coming back to play without a CBA, well those players should probably be concerned for the well being of themselves and their families."
Nothing like a little good ole fashion PA thuggery!

Old
12-08-2004, 08:50 AM
no13matssundin

Its nice to see that at least 9 players are reasonable folks who have a clue

Old
12-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I think Curtis Brown had the best quote I've seen yet:
Quote:
I think if anybody sat back and got realistic, you don't need a hard cap, just like you and I don't need cost certainty for the groceries we're going to buy. You have to be responsible with your finances and that's basically what we stand for.
Two years ago, a gallon of milk cost $2...now it costs $3. Now I have to budget an extra $1 for milk than I did 2 yrs ago. Either that or I don't get a gallon of milk and maybe just a quart.

Old
12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
HckyFght*

Send a message via AIM to HckyFght*
Lock'm out, replace every last one of'm, knock ticket prices down to about $20, and get on with life!
-HckyFght!

Old
12-08-2004, 11:05 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Two years ago, a gallon of milk cost $2...now it costs $3. Now I have to budget an extra $1 for milk than I did 2 yrs ago. Either that or I don't get a gallon of milk and maybe just a quart.
accept that two of your neighbors are not cost restricted and they can go ahead and buy the available milk. in process your children learn that their friends get their favorite cereal for breakfast every morning because they have the milk while your kids settle for toast and start skipping breakfast altogether.

Old
12-08-2004, 11:11 AM
porknbeans

:(

Luckily foir a smart person, it is evident that the only 'milk available for purchase in the player market are UFAs. Since they are 31, they are not worth the investment, especially if you didnt develop them yourself.

You have to build your own team through the draft and trades, free agency has little impact on competitiveness. Furthermore, contracts given out to UFAs does not affect the RFAs. And since RFAs are in their peak years, they are far more important than declining UFA players.

Too bad no one sees something so obvious.

Old
12-08-2004, 11:22 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
accept that two of your neighbors are not cost restricted and they can go ahead and buy the available milk. in process your children learn that their friends get their favorite cereal for breakfast every morning because they have the milk while your kids settle for toast and start skipping breakfast altogether.
Curtis Brown's analogy was good, yours, on the other hand, is not.

Old
12-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
From the article

Quote:
"I think if they did impose a cap and players started coming back to play without a CBA, well those players should probably be concerned for the well being of themselves and their families."

Nothing like a little good ole fashion PA thuggery!
Geez... No wonder the player wanted to remain anonymous. If it weren't for the fact they played for Buffalo, I would have sworn it was Chelios. I hope that's a misquote or there was a misunderstanding, because that's way over the line.

Old
12-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Except for the fact that the galleon of milk price rose according to inflation rate and that your salary (revenues) most likely raised accordingly to match the inflation. NHL revenues are not rising accordingly to player salaries, hence the need for cost certainty. The analogy was a bad one.

Old
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
Geez... No wonder the player wanted to remain anonymous. If it weren't for the fact they played for Buffalo, I would have sworn it was Chelios. I hope that's a misquote or there was a misunderstanding, because that's way over the line.
they way i took the quote was to mean they weren't gonna be getting paid enough to take care of themselves and their families, i mean that too is just flat out stupid, but its atleast smarter than threatening someones family

Old
12-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
Except for the fact that the galleon of milk price rose according to inflation rate and that your salary (revenues) most likely raised accordingly to match the inflation. NHL revenues are not rising accordingly to player salaries, hence the need for cost certainty. The analogy was a bad one.
Maybe using milk was a poor choice. If you want, we can change it to a tomato (which has price fluctuations based on demand, environmental changes, other producers, etc other than just inflation). Curtis Brown's point was much better than my analogy. The league is asking for cost certainty that just isn't needed.

Old
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb_Brooks
they way i took the quote was to mean they weren't gonna be getting paid enough to take care of themselves and their families, i mean that too is just flat out stupid, but its atleast smarter than threatening someones family
I hope that's what they meant. I took it as meaning they'd be running them out of the league (one way or another) for crossing the line.

Old
12-08-2004, 07:19 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Any player that thinks they have a legitimate shot of making the NHL on their own merits, isnt going to want to be a replacement players in such a team oriented game. Who would ever stick up for him on his team? Fans may find this a threat, but its a reality. If there are replacement players, and then an agreement is reached, the replacement will be out without a 2nd thought from either fans or management. Either way, no one will care about them.

Old
12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
Any player that thinks they have a legitimate shot of making the NHL on their own merits, isnt going to want to be a replacement players in such a team oriented game. Who would ever stick up for him on his team? Fans may find this a threat, but its a reality. If there are replacement players, and then an agreement is reached, the replacement will be out without a 2nd thought from either fans or management. Either way, no one will care about them.
Because football isn't just as much a team game and protecting the stars that crossed wasn't part of the job description once the NFL regulars returned, right?

Closed Thread