HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

catching a cold or swine flu at the rink

Old
11-08-2009, 12:46 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
catching a cold or swine flu at the rink

What is everyone doing to help prevent from getting sick at the rink?

I caught a cold (I think) at the rink on Fri and I did not even skate or go into a changing room. I went in to pick up some skates I had work done to and walked around talking to a few friends. That night I started to sneeze and cough. I did skate on Thu AM and I was in the changing room. The only place I can think of that I might have contacted the sick I am is the rink. I wash my hands regularly, and try to avoid sneezing / coughing people.

Anybody else dealing with getting sick at the rink and what are you guys / girls doing to prevent getting sick at the rink specifically?

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
I cant recall specifically catching a cold or flu at the rink, im sure i have at some point but i dont really worry about it.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
A cold at a rink is common to catch from other people, just like it is to catch from anybody just about anywhere. As for swine flu, at my game on Thursday people were talking about how their kids had the flu lately and so many kids are missing school and some of them just coming off the flu. Only thing I did to prevent not getting it myself was not taking my glove off during the handshakes at the end of the game and just basically fist bumping people. I didn't stick out though because only about half the people generally take their gloves off to shake hands after the games here anyway.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Placebo Effect

I don't even touch my face anymore as a precaution and wash my hands often (I'm a bit OCD too though). I basically try to avoid touching as many surfaces as possible

My league, like with USA Hockey, says to keep gloves on during the handshake lineup. My team we mostly bring our own water bottles.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

I've been leaving my water bottle in my bag and drinking quite a bit before leaving the lockeroom instead since some meatheads can't seem to remember to bring their own water bottle and drink off of yours.

The swine flu rules seem to be ... use your own towel, don't share them .... use your own water bottle ..... tap gloves instead of shaking hands.

The other peeps here already covered those but anyhew.

I distinctly remember sharing a lockeroom with some guy at a shinny hockey who was coughing the whole time without covering his mouth and stuff. it irritated me but i didn't feel like leaving for the next attached lockeroom and ended up paying for it with a cold.

I mean really why is it illegal to beat the crap out of morons?

In any case no flu yet.

My Dad's nursing home has a sign that says "wash your hands often with our anti-bacterial soap, stay home if you are sick, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze" .... you KNOW ... COMMON SENSE.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post

I caught a cold (I think) at the rink on Fri and I did not even skate or go into a changing room. I went in to pick up some skates I had work done to and walked around talking to a few friends. That night I started to sneeze and cough. I did skate on Thu AM and I was in the changing room. The only place I can think of that I might have contacted the sick I am is the rink. I wash my hands regularly, and try to avoid sneezing / coughing people.

Anybody else dealing with getting sick at the rink and what are you guys / girls doing to prevent getting sick at the rink specifically?
I've been really sick for the past two weeks or so... I haven't been able to get out at all.

My only precaution would be to *absolutely* use my own waterbottle (also ensuring that nobody else uses it) and thoroughly cleaning it afterwards. I can't really think of another way to get sick, but you just know that some tough guy is going to try to play with the flu and get his germs all over the place.

The tapping gloves instead of shaking hands idea is a good one.

Actually, I tried playing a league game on Wednesday. At that point I hadn't done anything physical in a week and a half, so I sucked *and* felt awful the next day.

It's really frustrating... I've dropped about 10 pounds (despite putting on some fat) and I'm really itching to play. EA NHL on the Xbox just doesn't cut it anymore

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I've been really sick for the past two weeks or so... I haven't been able to get out at all.

My only precaution would be to *absolutely* use my own waterbottle (also ensuring that nobody else uses it) and thoroughly cleaning it afterwards. I can't really think of another way to get sick, but you just know that some tough guy is going to try to play with the flu and get his germs all over the place.

The tapping gloves instead of shaking hands idea is a good one.

Actually, I tried playing a league game on Wednesday. At that point I hadn't done anything physical in a week and a half, so I sucked *and* felt awful the next day.

It's really frustrating... I've dropped about 10 pounds (despite putting on some fat) and I'm really itching to play. EA NHL on the Xbox just doesn't cut it anymore
You know Donnie the one armed wonder? Don't get me wrong I like Donnie and scored my first goal on a feed from him but he ALWAYS drinks out of my water bottle! Tim too but not as often as Donny

Since we skate at the same place I thought you might get a chuckle.
You do know that Don is the captain of team Canada amputee #27.
http://www.canadianamputeehockey.ca/j157/index.php
You would think he would bring his own water bottle eh?

Hope you feel better soon, I'm going to miss free ice time with the pro shop guys on Monday (tomorrow) because of the cold. I hope to be at the Wed. AM stick and puck.

Old
11-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Gino 14

Quote:

I caught a cold (I think) at the rink on Fri and I did not even skate or go into a changing room. I went in to pick up some skates I had work done to and walked around talking to a few friends. That night I started to sneeze and cough.
You don't catch a cold in a matter of hours, it takes at least 12 hours for the virus to incubate. It's more likely you picked it up on Thursday.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:

I did skate on Thu AM

Old
11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
noobman

Quote:
You know Donnie the one armed wonder? Don't get me wrong I like Donnie and scored my first goal on a feed from him but he ALWAYS drinks out of my water bottle! Tim too but not as often as Donny

Since we skate at the same place I thought you might get a chuckle.
You do know that Don is the captain of team Canada amputee #27.
http://www.canadianamputeehockey.ca/j157/index.php
You would think he would bring his own water bottle eh?

Hope you feel better soon, I'm going to miss free ice time with the pro shop guys on Monday (tomorrow) because of the cold. I hope to be at the Wed. AM stick and puck.
Hahaha! Thanks bud... I'm hoping to get well by Wednesday for my league game. If not, I'm probably going to force myself out to a Thursday stick and puck... haven't decided if it's AM or PM yet.

I don't know if I've seen Don around or not, but that's actually incredible... skating w/ an athlete that's represented the country before. I've skated w/ a few former OHLers, but that's usually when I'm playing with guys that outclass me by a mile.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Hahaha! Thanks bud... I'm hoping to get well by Wednesday for my league game. If not, I'm probably going to force myself out to a Thursday stick and puck... haven't decided if it's AM or PM yet.

I don't know if I've seen Don around or not, but that's actually incredible... skating w/ an athlete that's represented the country before. I've skated w/ a few former OHLers, but that's usually when I'm playing with guys that outclass me by a mile.
Tournament on Wed. So Thursday AM stick and but for me if I'm on my feet. I had a good day feeling better during the day but by 4 I started going back down hill. Took more meds for the coughing and stuffy head.