HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KINGS v. HAWKS, Post Game $5.00 fine for whining THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
lak4ever

vCash: 500
So it looks like I missed nothing.

Old
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Wonder what a vets day flight to Raliegh costs.
It might be fun to rain on your solo parade.
If you went I would spend all night searching the crowd for Kings jersey's....then I would probably miss the game.

Old
11-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
I managed to miss both the last two games also... Phew!

PLAYOFFS... you were talking Playoffs!!! In the immortal words of Big Jim Mora...
"I just hope we can win a game!"

Talk about rationale...

Oh and back on topic... I liked the Brown Zues Fro line too... they really seemed to be clicking. Oh well, the wonderful world of 'Murphy line changes' woo whoo!
What the hell is woo whoo? How is that even pronounced? Is that like cool whhip?

Old
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Randart

Like this Zadster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
What the hell is woo whoo? How is that even pronounced? Is that like cool whhip?
It's like Whooty Whooooo But with a Wooooo in front!

Old
11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
ukyo

Some general thoughts I took away from the game:

1. Patrick Sharp owns the Kings. Owns.
2. Troy Brouwer is a pain in the ass to play against.
3. and last but not least, the Kings are not yet as good as the Hawks were last season.

This game was what I would expect if these two teams met up in the playoffs this year. One team that's been there already and knows what to do, another team playing mental catch up despite having all that great young talent.

The Hawks played an ever-so-slightly smarter version of the same game. There were times in which the Kings asserted themselves but overall even though it was a well-fought game through two periods you could tell that if one team was going to get worn down it was going to be the Kings. By the end of the second period the Kings were already flaccid. The penalties and scoring chances (and subsequently the goals) were just a matter of time.

The guys need to remember this feeling, how they were beaten by just a little bit at nearly every aspect of the game. All the smart little plays that the Hawks made that the Kings weren't prepared for. Byfuglien's blindside hit on Simmonds. Kopitar getting stripped at the blueline by a backchecking Toews. Sharp chipping the puck past Scuderi and Doughty and drawing a penalty. Certainly there were cases in which the Kings did the same to the Hawks, but it was more the Hawks pulling these things on the Kings.

Oh, and Brown needs to remove both diving and his between-the-legs move from his repertoire.

Old
11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
So it looks like I missed nothing.
Well Zad missed the 1st two periods...and then ruined the 3rd for the rest of us.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
Some general thoughts I took away from the game:

1. Patrick Sharp owns the Kings. Owns.
2. Troy Brouwer is a pain in the ass to play against.
3. and last but not least, the Kings are not yet as good as the Hawks were last season.

This game was what I would expect if these two teams met up in the playoffs this year. One team that's been there already and knows what to do, another team playing mental catch up despite having all that great young talent.

The Hawks played an ever-so-slightly smarter version of the same game. There were times in which the Kings asserted themselves but overall even though it was a well-fought game through two periods you could tell that if one team was going to get worn down it was going to be the Kings. By the end of the second period the Kings were already flaccid. The penalties and scoring chances (and subsequently the goals) were just a matter of time.

The guys need to remember this feeling, how they were beaten by just a little bit at nearly every aspect of the game. All the smart little plays that the Hawks made that the Kings weren't prepared for. Byfuglien's blindside hit on Simmonds. Kopitar getting stripped at the blueline by a backchecking Toews. Sharp chipping the puck past Scuderi and Doughty and drawing a penalty. Certainly there were cases in which the Kings did the same to the Hawks, but it was more the Hawks pulling these things on the Kings.

Oh, and Brown needs to remove both diving and his between-the-legs move from his repertoire.
I focused too much of my attention on one word in this post....try to guess which word it was.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I don't think anybody here is.

But when we look at the standings during the last week of the season we are going to remember how the Kings failed to get a point or two out of games like these.
I'm past this. I'm more thinking that between this game and the last one, it just shows that the Kings aren't "there" yet. The rebuild continues. Fortunately, I see the Kings as being more like the Hawks circa early-2009 than the Thrashers circa early-2004.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I'm past this. I'm more thinking that between this game and the last one, it just shows that the Kings aren't "there" yet. The rebuild continues. Fortunately, I see the Kings as being more like the Hawks circa early-2009 than the Thrashers circa early-2004.
Of course there will be ups and downs. But, the point I was making is if the Kings miss the last playoff spot by a handful of points then many fans will probably point to games that the Kings just didn't give an effort in winning.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:18 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Of course there will be ups and downs. But, the point I was making is if the Kings miss the last playoff spot by a handful of points then many fans will probably point to games that the Kings just didn't give an effort in winning.
Well, I think tonight's two points were harder to get than the two lost against Nashville. I don't think I'll be pointing at this game other than saying, THAT was an apples-to-apples comparison between a team that knows how to beat other teams in the playoffs and and a team that will be glad just to be there. If we don't make the playoffs until next season, I'd still be pointing at this game.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Well, I think tonight's two points were harder to get than the two lost against Nashville. I don't think I'll be pointing at this game other than saying, THAT was an apples-to-apples comparison between a team that knows how to beat other teams in the playoffs and and a team that will be glad just to be there. If we don't make the playoffs until next season, I'd still be pointing at this game.
all of which raises the interesting question of whether people now EXPECT the playoffs, given the good start. i know i figured that the kings would not make it to postseason play, but that it would be close. if i had to assign percentages, maybe 25% chance of making the playoffs. during the winning streak, it was easy to think that the kings would battle for first place in the pacific, but the last two games kind of brought it all back to earth. so, at this point, i think their chances of making the playoffs are better--maybe 40%--but i still expect them to miss.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well Zad missed the 1st two periods...and then ruined the 3rd for the rest of us.
I didn't miss the first two periods. I just wasn't at a place to log in.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
all of which raises the interesting question of whether people now EXPECT the playoffs, given the good start. i know i figured that the kings would not make it to postseason play, but that it would be close. if i had to assign percentages, maybe 25% chance of making the playoffs. during the winning streak, it was easy to think that the kings would battle for first place in the pacific, but the last two games kind of brought it all back to earth. so, at this point, i think their chances of making the playoffs are better--maybe 40%--but i still expect them to miss.
If you believe that the Kings are at least an average team for the rest of the season, it's actually a 72.4% chance of making the playoffs.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...fic/Kings.html

Old
11-09-2009, 11:31 PM
ndgt10

Kings look like a much improved team this year. No question you guys will make the playoffs.

Can't wait till we play each other when each of us are at full strength. The Kings are down some great players and the Hawks have been struggling but hopefully when we get Hossa and Bolland back things will pick up.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Kings look like a much improved team this year. No question you guys will make the playoffs.

Can't wait till we play each other when each of us are at full strength. The Kings are down some great players and the Hawks have been struggling but hopefully when we get Hossa and Bolland back things will pick up.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:37 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
That'd be nice if it were even an ounce of truth to it

Old
11-09-2009, 11:42 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
That'd be nice if it were even an ounce of truth to it
Yeah, we're down a Kovalchuk and/or a Nash. And you could argue a Frolov as well.

Last edited by ukyo: 11-09-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: oh wait, forgot about the unenforceable $5 fine.
Old
11-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

We lost because you ****ers dissed Heidi.

You compared this to her?

FOR SHAME!!

Forgive them Heidi for not know what they do.

Old
11-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
We lost because you ****ers dissed Heidi.

You compared this to her?

FOR SHAME!!

Forgive them Heidi for not know what they do.

It's not that she was sexier than Heidi, it was also because she was way better than Heidi at reporting too. . . . Sorry Zad

Old
11-10-2009, 12:17 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Zad, count me as one of the few that appreciates Heidi... and it isn't because i think she's hot... i don't... really.

that said, the other chick... well let's just say - forgetful Sarah Marshall.

Old
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Well, a crappy cap to a crappy day. Let it be gone as quickly as it was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
he was either cheating or late to his posts all night. that puck doesn't get touched and it still goes in.

the only way that puck wasn't going in was if Brouwer had stopped it completely.
Wide all the way guy.

Quote:
Honestly boys, this game highlighted why Frolov won't be around next season. He is either a top 6 forward or he's not. If he's not, he has to be ready to accept 3 years, 2.5 million. If he is, he needs to play like one.
Yeah, I spent most of the game being very frustrated with Fro. This was one of his more annoying games, some flashes, some drive, then sleep-walking without the puck. The strangest thing about Fro tonight was that he was completely telegraphing his passes and plays. He usually doesn't do that, even when he is being lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
It's not that she was sexier than Heidi, it was also because she was way better than Heidi at reporting too. . . . Sorry Zad
Yeah but her name was Charissa. That ain't right.

Old
11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

And oh yeah, if ever there was a game that needed a time-out, it was this one.

I'm only paying 3-fitty for that one.

Old
11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

In an attempt to add something constructive, I think the Kings' D need to work on their timing of when to turn if you are going to get beat wide. Obviously not getting beat wide at all would be better, but I noticed the dmen (mostly Doughty and JJ actually), turning too late and just completely losing a man they should have atleast been in-step with.

On a positive, I thought Drewiske had a mostly wonderful game. His one big rush was great, and he is showing more and more composure handling and moving the puck in tight situations.

(sorry about the multiples Tony, my brain doesn't have a post schedule )

Old
11-10-2009, 12:38 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

dude wth happened?? ever since i stopped watching they losing....maybe i should start watching again!

Old
11-10-2009, 03:59 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I focused too much of my attention on one word in this post....try to guess which word it was.
"between-the-legs"

Closed Thread