HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pelle Lindbergh's Biography and Jersey

Old
10-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

vCash: 500
Can't wait! Christmas present for hubby!!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Fredrik_71

Damn I love these kind of threads and hate them. Had to fake allergy when my wife wondered my eyes where running over siting in front of the laptop. Parents speak was a killer.

/Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Unfortunately, the only bookstores that are carrying it are ones in the Philadelphia area and perhaps a few around Portland, Maine. For everyone else, the options are Amazon, the Barnes and Noble website or the Middle Atlantic Press site.
I'm going to order it from amazon then, thanks.

EDIT: Just looked up on Amazon.ca, it's on sale for $13.40. Awesome!

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
PelleForever

Thanks Bill

It felt like ages ago when I heard this book was going to be available in English. Well, the wait ended on Monday when the book came in the mail from Amazon and I couldn't put it down. By 1:30am on Wednesday, I finished it. What a gut-wrenching story. It seems that no matter how much I learn about Pelle and the tragedy, I still want to know more and more as the years pass by.

I certainly learned a lot more about Pelle through this story, and even discovered new things about the terrible tragedy that I hadn't heard before. Even the things I already knew about it were presented in a different angle and made me think even more.

I just want to say thanks again to Thomas and Bill for telling the story of Pelle...my favorite player of all time.

I do have several questions that I would like to get Bill's opinions on, but I will save that for another time.

If you haven't gotten this book yet, I strongly recommend it.

Last edited by PelleForever: 10-09-2009 at 01:41 PM.
PelleForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Thanks for that post! It's on my list to books. As soon as I'm done with the one I'm on now. I'm gonna crack it open. I thought it was going to be a great read - much like you are explaining it. Bill Meltzer is a great hockey writer. Too underrated in my book.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelleForever View Post
It felt like ages ago when I heard this book was going to be available in English. Well, the wait ended on Monday when the book came in the mail from Amazon and I couldn't put it down. By 1:30am on Wednesday, I finished it. What a gut-wrenching story. It seems that no matter how much I learn about Pelle and the tragedy, I just want to know more and more as the years pass by.

I certainly learned a lot more about Pelle through this story, and even discovered new things about the terrible tragedy that I hadn't heard before. Even the things I already knew about it were presented in a different angle and made me think even more.

I just want to say thanks again to Thomas and Bill for telling the story of Pelle...my favorite player of all time.

I do have several questions that I would like to get Bill's opinions on, but I will save that for another time.

If you haven't gotten this book yet, I strongly recommend it.

Wow... thank you! If you have any questions, by all means post them here or message me. Thanks again.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Just FYI for those interested...

Brian Startare is gonna be on from 11p to 2am tonight... and to honor the 24th year of Pelle's passing, he's going to have Bill Meltzer on to talk about the book. I don't know what time though...

Those not in the Philly area can stream the broadcast from their website...

http://www.610wip.com/

Edit: He'll be on in the midnight hour.

Last edited by Jules801: 11-09-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Thanks Jules! I got it on.

I love the book so far. Go buy it, great read!

Old
11-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Thresher

Thanks for the heads up. I'm also tuned in. Flyers/book talk up next...

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

It's weird how close I live to where Pelle died.

Old
11-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Thanks Jules! I got it on.

I love the book so far. Go buy it, great read!
I actually bought 3 copies...LOL.

Old
11-10-2009, 11:09 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I actually bought 3 copies...LOL.

Awesome. Did you start reading yet?

Old
11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I really want to read this book but I have no time to because of school!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

Awesome. Did you start reading yet?
Nah, I literally JUST ordered them. I had forgotten until I heard Bstar talking about it. I got one for hubby for Xmas, one for my STH partner, and the other I'm using for a fundraising thing.....

Old
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Wow... thank you! If you have any questions, by all means post them here or message me. Thanks again.
Bill, I just wanted to let you know that the book on Pelle was excellent. I couldn't put it down when I started reading it. It's strange that 24 years have passed since he died. A little part of me wonders how many cups the Flyers would have won with the team they had with Pelle in net. Great book.

Pelle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Bill, I just wanted to let you know that the book on Pelle was excellent. I couldn't put it down when I started reading it. It's strange that 24 years have passed since he died. A little part of me wonders how many cups the Flyers would have won with the team they had with Pelle in net. Great book.
Pelle was before my time, but I'm well aware of his history and "legend". Listening to Bill on WIP last night.. he said that his skill, his talent... you just knew he was going to have a career that would've rivaled Brodeur.

Can you imagine?

Old
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
captain2man

friendly Isles fan here.

I saw that today was the 24th anniversary of the car crash. Sad & tragic story.

I was 12 when he was killed and I do remember it vaguely. Since I was a goalie - I used to follow all the goalies - not just the Isles guys - and I remember feeling sad when I heard the news.

I had no idea there was a book out about him....sounds like it's worth a read.

I read that even though his #31 was never officially retired, the Flyers have taken it out of commission.

My question is - why not retire it if you're going to do that? Maybe on the 25th anniversary of his death? I think it would be a nice tribute.

captain2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Pelle was before my time, but I'm well aware of his history and "legend". Listening to Bill on WIP last night.. he said that his skill, his talent... you just knew he was going to have a career that would've rivaled Brodeur.

Can you imagine?
That's the saddest part of it. What could have been.

You hate to see any career cut short, but when it's this special a player....

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain2man View Post
friendly Isles fan here.

I saw that today was the 24th anniversary of the car crash. Sad & tragic story.

I was 12 when he was killed and I do remember it vaguely. Since I was a goalie - I used to follow all the goalies - not just the Isles guys - and I remember feeling sad when I heard the news.

I had no idea there was a book out about him....sounds like it's worth a read.

I read that even though his #31 was never officially retired, the Flyers have taken it out of commission.

My question is - why not retire it if you're going to do that? Maybe on the 25th anniversary of his death? I think it would be a nice tribute.
Meltzer actually talked about this......and the feeling is the answer is two-fold. Although the Flyers higher-ups won't actually come out and say it....the circumstances of his death are probably one reason (drunk driving). The other, more official reason would be because of how short his tenure was. Meltzer said that he gets the impression that with the unofficial retirement of his number, as well as the fact that they have the Pelle award for most improved player....that he is appropriately remembered.

Old
11-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin

Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
Pelle Lindberg 24 Years Tomorrow

I come in peace....he played here when I was around 10 years old....

I came across this article in todays local paper.....

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/sports/

I know he played for the Flyers, but the Flyers were our NHL Club here at the time. I remember watching him and went to almost every game he played when he was here. And as a litttle girl at the time he was my first hockey crush I had. His smile while he warmed up and the quickness of his saves just had me in aww. I guess after that made me more fond of goalies then ever. I will never forget the mask he wore either. Was so proud and pissed that he made it to the NHL. Selfish reasons..I wanted him to stay here. Proud..he finally made it to his dream.

Pelle Lindberg...gone too soon!

MaineHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineHockey1 View Post
I come in peace....he played here when I was around 10 years old....

I came across this article in todays local paper.....

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/sports/

I know he played for the Flyers, but the Flyers were our NHL Club here at the time. I remember watching him and went to almost every game he played when he was here. And as a litttle girl at the time he was my first hockey crush I had. His smile while he warmed up and the quickness of his saves just had me in aww. I guess after that made me more fond of goalies then ever. I will never forget the mask he wore either. Was so proud and pissed that he made it to the NHL. Selfish reasons..I wanted him to stay here. Proud..he finally made it to his dream.

Pelle Lindberg...gone too soon!
Really nice article. I was confused at first, because I thought the anniversary was yesterday...but that was the crash.

Thanks for posting.

Old
11-11-2009, 08:17 PM
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin

Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
Quote:
Really nice article. I was confused at first, because I thought the anniversary was yesterday...but that was the crash.

Thanks for posting.
NP... I loved his skills and will forever miss him!

MaineHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I finished reading it a few days ago. Bill, thank you very much for bringing this book to the states. It was a fantastic read all the way through, even had points where I was tearing up. Really in depth, and the work paid off. Fantastic job bringing the story out to the public. Thanks again for everything.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Guffaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I finished reading it a few days ago. Bill, thank you very much for bringing this book to the states. It was a fantastic read all the way through, even had points where I was tearing up. Really in depth, and the work paid off. Fantastic job bringing the story out to the public. Thanks again for everything.
Glad I'm not the only one! I had it on pre-order with amazon. Got it right away on release and read it from cover to cover the day it was delivered. Great book....a little bit torturous because you really do relive those couple of days if you remember when it happened.

Little bit of an interesting note...Pelle's backup goalie on the Swedish national team was Rolf Ridderwall. His nephew, Calle currently plays hockey for Notre Dame. Kid has some skills too...he attended the Islanders camp this year.

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote