HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Going after Horton?

Old
11-10-2009, 06:05 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieoiler View Post
Rumor as it, that the Florida Panthers are shopping around Nathan Horton. What would it take to bring him to oil country?........I would package together Nillson, Grebs, and a 2nd round pick.....Horton brings some needed scoring and he plays with an edge. Nillson is just one of the small forwards we have and Grebs is just one of the offensive d we have....Just my opinion.....THOUGHTS

Since you a new I will be nice

we had a 6 page debate on this last week

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Agent Zero

We have the players to make a quantity for quality trade. Penner has taken a step forward in becoming a legitimate top six forward, possibly a first line player if he keeps up his current pace.

Horton would be nice but I rather wait for the next big trade. Adding Kovalchuk to our roster would give us two legitimate scoring lines.

Kovalchuk-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
We have the players to make a quantity for quality trade. Penner has taken a step forward in becoming a legitimate top six forward, possibly a first line player if he keeps up his current pace.

Horton would be nice but I rather wait for the next big trade. Adding Kovalchuk to our roster would give us two legitimate scoring lines.

Kovalchuk-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan
Did you crunch any numbers to see if this was doable? Off the top of my head - and taking into consideration Gagner's inevitable raise (new contract), there is almost 30 million tied up in these top two lines... factor in the the top couple salaries for 'our' defense, and salary going to Kahbi and... well, the Oilers would need to trade for a Kovalchuk - and some of the big salaries would need to go the other way.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Gilbert and Cogliano.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Did you crunch any numbers to see if this was doable? Off the top of my head - and taking into consideration Gagner's inevitable raise (new contract), there is almost 30 million tied up in these top two lines... factor in the the top couple salaries for 'our' defense, and salary going to Kahbi and... well, the Oilers would need to trade for a Kovalchuk - and some of the big salaries would need to go the other way.
...and unless Tambellini has an agreement in principle with Atlanta, a GM should not be passing on a player like Horton in the hope of signing even Kovalchuk; that being said, it is the Oilers' management we're talking about, so anything is a possibility (even repeating history).

Old
11-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Agent Zero

Quote:
Just as the previous poster mentioned, Cogliano + Gilbert could make this deal a reality. A series of trades would have to be made in order to make this work financially long term. Either at the deadline or in the offseason we would need to trade Moreau, Staios and Pisani with cheaper solutions.

- Jacques in my eyes can take over Moreau's role.
- Staios toughness could be replaced via UFA (1M d-man).
- Pisani can sign for 500K or hit the road.
- Sign Kovalchuk to Zetterberg/Hossa type deal (lower cap hit, 10+ years).
- Krejci put up 70 points last year and he got 3M deal, I think we can get Gagner done at 2M.
- Look to trade Souray and sign Volchenkov.

Kovalchuk-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan
Svensson-Brule-Jacques
Stone-UFA-Stortini

Grebeshkov-Volchenkov
Smid-Visnovsky
Chorney-UFA

Bulin
JDD

With so much cap space tied up, 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairin d-man can be signed at a steal. I'm sure Dominic Moore would play on 1M/1yr deal. Look at the Comrie deal.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post
Gilbert and Cogliano.
It's funny how people on here have knee-jerk reactions. Just because Gilbert has had a slow start to the season do you honestly think the guy is worthless? Florida would take that deal everyday of the week and laugh at you for the next few years. A mroe realistic trade involving Gilbert would be Gilbert for Horton and then draft picks would be involved with the Oilers probably getting the better pick in the end.

No I am not being a homer.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Just as the previous poster mentioned, Cogliano + Gilbert could make this deal a reality. A series of trades would have to be made in order to make this work financially long term. Either at the deadline or in the offseason we would need to trade Moreau, Staios and Pisani with cheaper solutions.

- Jacques in my eyes can take over Moreau's role.
- Staios toughness could be replaced via UFA (1M d-man).
- Pisani can sign for 500K or hit the road.
- Sign Kovalchuk to Zetterberg/Hossa type deal (lower cap hit, 10+ years).
- Krejci put up 70 points last year and he got 3M deal, I think we can get Gagner done at 2M.
- Look to trade Souray and sign Volchenkov.

Kovalchuk-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan
Svensson-Brule-Jacques
Stone-UFA-Stortini

Grebeshkov-Volchenkov
Smid-Visnovsky
Chorney-UFA

Bulin
JDD

With so much cap space tied up, 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairin d-man can be signed at a steal. I'm sure Dominic Moore would play on 1M/1yr deal. Look at the Comrie deal.
This would be awesome. But it is very much a pipedream.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersgod View Post
what kind of package would you suggest for horton and olesz, me i think gilbert,gogs,nilsson,2ndpick,and a 3rd pick, what do you guys think?
Yeah lets pay more for him then we offered for Heatley.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Kovalchuk-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan
I know what you meant with respect to Penner, but the way it came out gave me a chuckle. Penner is on pace for 48 goals and 102 points right now which would certainly make him a first liner in my books.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
Cogliano, O'Sullivan, 3rd round pick. I think we can become easy playoff contenders with that move.
Terrible overpay.

Quote:
Gilbert and Cogliano.
So's this.

I don't get the Horton hype. His best seasons have seen him put up 60 points in the SE. He'd be a 50 point player in the West. In other words, he'd be a younger, marginally cheaper Horcoff. Not worth two legit prospects.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
Terrible overpay.

So's this.

I don't get the Horton hype. His best seasons have seen him put up 60 points in the SE. He'd be a 50 point player in the West. In other words, he'd be a younger, marginally cheaper Horcoff. Not worth two legit prospects.
The hype - from an Oilers' perspective? Because Horton is a young 6'2'' 230lbs center, and the type of player this team is in short supply of. This team also has way too many players of a diminutive stature. That is why so many want Horton here.

Plus he is physical, he has talent (drafted 3rd overall), and he can drop the gloves. I am of the opinion that Horton will become a much more effective player in this league than either Cogliano or Gilbert - and likely Gagner and O'Sullivan as well. I would be fine with seeing Eberle traded for him if additional salary were going Florida's way... 'cause Eberle is yet another diminutive player.

Its not all about numbers... just as it is not all about potential - stats do not tell the whole story. The Oilers' are a much harder team to play against with a player like Horton on their lines - rather than a Cogliano, Gagner, O'Sullivan, and this year certainly a Gilbert.

Horton is young and he has a lot of potential... combined with his physical attributes, it shouldn't leave people wondering for long what so many see in him.

Most of all, I am sick of having the Oilers being such a small team.

Horton under Quinn could do great things.

edit: That being said, I do agree that many of the offers I am seeing on these boards seem like an overpay.

Old
11-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

Kovalchuk-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan

There is no "next big trade" coming, Kovalchuk is not coming here unless it's as a rental. Jagr maybe. Kovie ... no chance in hell.

If the Oilers can acquire Horton for a decent price they'd be stupid to turn it down for more pipe dreams.

Last edited by Soundwave: 11-11-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
The hype - from an Oilers' perspective? Because Horton is a young 6'2'' 230lbs center, and the type of player this team is in short supply of. This team also has way too many players of a diminutive stature. That is why so many want Horton here.

Plus he is physical, he has talent (drafted 3rd overall), and he can drop the gloves. I am of the opinion that Horton will become a much more effective player in this league than either Cogliano or Gilbert - and likely Gagner and O'Sullivan as well. I would be fine with seeing Eberle traded for him if additional salary were going Florida's way... 'cause Eberle is yet another diminutive player.

Its not all about numbers... just as it is not all about potential - stats do not tell the whole story. The Oilers' are a much harder team to play against with a player like Horton on their lines - rather than a Cogliano, Gagner, O'Sullivan, and this year certainly a Gilbert.

Horton is young and he has a lot of potential... combined with his physical attributes, it shouldn't leave people wondering for long what so many see in him.

Most of all, I am sick of having the Oilers being such a small team.

Horton under Quinn could do great things.

edit: That being said, I do agree that many of the offers I am seeing on these boards seem like an overpay.
Im not disagreeing with you in that he has lots of potential, but so do Gilbert and Cogliano, and you don't have too look much farther here in Calgary to see how well a big number 1 centre has done since coming from the weak SE to the West.

I think the most I'd be willing to give up for him is O'Sully and a pick thats not in the 1st round.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote