HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Iginla challenged any player on the bench to fight

Old
11-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplovecraft View Post
Is this true? Never heard anything of it on the Calgary radio station.
Joel Bouchard on RDS is positioned between player benches and says he saw/heard it. Not gonna be a better witness.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
not a guillaume basher here but he shoulda stepped up and taken Iginla's challenge, missed opportunity, he's in Iginla's class, not as good a fighter but very strong and has 20 lbs on him.
to be honest, had they fought i think iggy would of used guy to clean up the ice giving the night off to the zamboni driver.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Would be damn nice to have that guy a hab!
Terry Ryan.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
hplovecraft

Quote:
Joel Bouchard on RDS is positioned between player benches and says he saw/heard it. Not gonna be a better witness.
Thanks. I posted this news on the Calgary board, too.

Iginla and Moen have fought before, as well, a couple of times, actually, back when Moen was with Anaheim. According to HockeyFights Iginla got the win both times. I've always liked Moen, and thought he was one of Montreal's best pickups this off-season.

I half wonder if Iginla offered to fight because of the frustration Montreal players had over Phaneuf throwing the hits. Phaneuf may not have wanted to fight, so Iginla might have stepped up.

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

i think laraque picks his battles more than he used to because of not wanting to aggravate his back too much
he hasn't exactly dominated fights lately
just a theory

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:48 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicemj View Post
i think laraque picks his battles more than he used to because of not wanting to aggravate his back too much
he hasn't exactly dominated fights lately
just a theory
He always fights the other teams enforcer/best fighter. That is not what we call picking your battles.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
felixd

If this is true this is embarrassing, sorry.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Blood On The Ice

I can't believe that some people here praised Iginla for that stupid jock move he made last night (saying things like ''wow what a great captain'' or ''I want him on my team'').

Totally classless. I hate Iginla and have hated him since day one.

It's too bad not even one player from the Montreal bench thought it was a good idea to sacrifice himself to play against Calgary/minus-Iginla for like 5min or something.

Somebody going in front of your team's bench saying he wanna fight anybody on your team is totally lame.

Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:56 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
No BGL wasn't in the lineup but if there's any truth to this story, JM should have tapped on the shoulders of any one of Moen, White, Mara, Leach, Lats, Lappy, etc to fight Iginla just to get him off the ice for 5 minutes.
Martin hates anything that resembles toughness.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:56 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
He always fights the other teams enforcer/best fighter. That is not what we call picking your battles.
maybe i could have worded it better, but you should be able to comprehend what i meant

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Patty Roy

Taking nothing away from Iginla...he's a great player...but there are a number of Habs that could easily hold their own with him in a fight.

Iginla is tough when compared to other skilled players, but he's not THAT tough. He fights with his shield alot and i remember him getting dropped by Beachemin a few years back.

Moen, Mara, Leach probably even White could have held their own with him. Laraque would destroy him.

Either way im sure this whole incident was overstated. He probably shot a nasty glare that Bouchard interpreted as a stare down. Not really a big deal...i dont think the Habs were intimidated one bit last night.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:03 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Either way im sure this whole incident was overstated. He probably shot a nasty glare that Bouchard interpreted as a stare down. Not really a big deal...i dont think the Habs were intimidated one bit last night.
Well, that's not fair to Bouchard is it. You're essentially implying that he made a mountain out of nothing. I would hope that as an ex-NHLer he would understand whether a guy is challenging the entire bench to a fight or not.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:05 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicemj View Post
maybe i could have worded it better, but you should be able to comprehend what i meant
I comprehended exactly what you said.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoGionta View Post
Why can't we get players like this?
Well, allow me to explain it to you. Our present GM, Bobsled Let It Slide, at one time was GM of this desert city called Dallas. They had Iginla and he got rid of him.

Now, let me ask you a question. You think this GM has changed much?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Habs

And not one girly-man on this team even took him up on the offer. If this is a true story, it sickens me.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:31 PM
onice

Why are you guys yapping about the Iginla challenge? I heard Bouchard mention it on the telecast.

But what about Phaneuf rag dolling Cammalleri and no one coming to protect their best player. In BG you could see Moen on the bench calling Phaneuf some gay name but no one passed on the message to Dion that you don't do that to our players.

That was a bigger embarrassment.

Man, do I hate the team Bob put together.

Old
11-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
No BGL wasn't in the lineup but if there's any truth to this story, JM should have tapped on the shoulders of any one of Moen, White, Mara, Leach, Lats, Lappy, etc to fight Iginla just to get him off the ice for 5 minutes.
lol, funniest thing i've read all week.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
lol, funniest thing i've read all week.
That's only because some members have stopped posting esoteric stats proving that he is our best 5 on 5 player.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Kirk Muller

If true, the habs are stupider than we thought. To take the opponents star player off the ice for 5 minutes would be nothing but beneficial.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood On The Ice View Post
I can't believe that some people here praised Iginla for that stupid jock move he made last night (saying things like ''wow what a great captain'' or ''I want him on my team'').

It's too bad not even one player from the Montreal bench thought it was a good idea to sacrifice himself to play against Calgary/minus-Iginla for like 5min or something.

Somebody going in front of your team's bench saying he wanna fight anybody on your team is totally lame.
Did you forget the ?

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGudge View Post
I used to really like Jerome, even as an Oiler fan, but lately I'm kind of annoyed with with actions while everyone still defends him as pure class. Stevie Y was pure class, Iggie has a way to go. First the Souray incident, then the H1N1 vaccine disaster where he actually said he was high risk b/c he is around kids all day, come on. Now this, now way he does this to a team with more toughness or a heavyweight in the lineup. We know your tough Iggy, but do you really need to intimidate the likes of Gionta or Gomez by way of fighting threats. Loser.
Still can't get over that unfortunate incident with Souray huh? What Iginla said on the vaccine disaster is he feels high risk because on breaks(usually twice a month) he goes to the public schools and talks to kids, he and a bunch of Flames are regulars at the children's hospital as well.

And ask your own Captain Moreau if he thinks Iggy is a loser and no class, Iggy could have absolutely tooled him but let him up.

As far as fighting big George, he would have to be some fired up to be that dumb, kind of like when he took on Hatcher

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Kostopolous would've taken iginla up on his offer

Yeah I was watching the game last night and I heard Bouchard pass on what Iginla had just said...I didn't really think anything of it until I saw this thread. If Iginla really wanted to go with anybody he would've pushed the issue with guys already on the ice not the guys on the bench. Of the 20 something guys on the bench he knows the ones who'd be willing to go with him, no point throwing it out to the likes of Gionta, Gomez, Camalleri, Pleks, Kosty etc why not go into the corner with Moen and invite him there?

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Iginla stopped and said something to the Habs bench,Bouchard right away said it on air that Iginla has just challenged any Habs player to a fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
It says alot about our team when a legitimate star player asks to fight and nobody has the balls to bench him for 5 min in exchange for a copuple of punches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplovecraft View Post
Is this true? Never heard anything of it on the Calgary radio station.
Quote:
I heard Bouchard report it last night from ice-level but I still have my doubts that he reported it accurately or heard it correctly. Iginla likely challenged one Hab and then told his neighbours on the bench he'd fight them too. Seriously, it wouldn't make sense for someone not to take him up on this offer just to get him off the ice.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
la25ecoupe

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood On The Ice View Post

Essentially, this is the same thing all the league pests do, including Lapierre. They yap it up, challanging verbally but don't actually follow through. Iginla still had his gloves on, he didn't look ready to fight to me. It isn't like he stopped in front the bench either. He said it as he was skating by. It was a game tactic. Did he come back ready to go. No the team just paid him no mind because it didn't deserve a response.

I'd still like someone to shut him up, prefavorably a 4th liner and take him out of the game for a while. But holy crap, I bet Sean Avery says this 82 games a year.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote