HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can You Explain Salary Cap/Karmanos Cap To Me?

Old
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
WalkerBabe

vCash: 500
Can You Explain Salary Cap/Karmanos Cap To Me?

When I read about the NHL teams and their owners, I understand that we have the salary cap and the basics of that, but then I always read that Rutherford is constrained by Karmanos' own cap??? I read that Karmanos might not be rich enough to own an NHL team, and that he does everything related to owning a team, in the cheapest way, and that, of course, ultimately affects the team that takes the ice. How can we expect to compete with teams like the Red Wings, the Penguins, etc. if this is true??? What is the "Karmanos Cap?"

(Bear with me ... I'm new to hockey and the NHL ... just since 2002.)

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
canesnecu

Salary cap= the maximum any team can spend of salaries in a season whch is the same foar all teams. What the NHL doesnt need is another NYyankees where they can spend big $ to buy all the top players. This league takes enough pipe, at least they try to make to make it fair.

Self imposed cap= the maximum $ spent on salaries the owner is willing to spend based on revenue and amount he's willing to lose

Karmanos is tight but this year has spent close to the cap cuz he thougt he had a contending team. We all did. He's usually willing to spend he extra bucks if the team looks like it needs only a peice or two to make a run. (See Recchi, Weight, Jokinen)

Small market teams that has a small STH base needs a self imposed cap or else the owner will need to sell after taking pipe year after year. Check out other smaller market teams and their cap.

Question for you
Have you been reading the old whaler sites to get all your info about Karmanos?

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Karl Racki

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBabe View Post
When I read about the NHL teams and their owners, I understand that we have the salary cap and the basics of that, but then I always read that Rutherford is constrained by Karmanos' own cap??? I read that Karmanos might not be rich enough to own an NHL team, and that he does everything related to owning a team, in the cheapest way, and that, of course, ultimately affects the team that takes the ice. How can we expect to compete with teams like the Red Wings, the Penguins, etc. if this is true??? What is the "Karmanos Cap?"

(Bear with me ... I'm new to hockey and the NHL ... just since 2002.)
This simply means he has his own salary cap dollar figure that he does not want to spend more than, which falls well short of the salary cap enforced by the league. Yes, it does affect JR and what team he can put on the ice, but I don't see it as something that should prevent us from competing with teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia...

Essentially this means JR has a few million less to play with in terms of signing free agents or trading for bigger name players; which in turn may give some other teams an advantage as they are free to go after and sign top end players by using the entire cap. I dont think it makes us that much less competitive, it just means JR has to be that much smarter/craftier in the moves he does make.

Karl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

to me, walkerbabe also needs to know, that unlike baseball, hockey has a salary floor as well.
that means that because of the salary cap, teams can't spend more than a certain amount, but the salary floor also prohibits them from spending less than a certain amount too.
in baseball, which as a yankees fan, i feel is in dire need of a similar system to hockey, some "small market" owners take the revenue sharing money that big market teams have to kick into a pool and pocket it, not investing it in the team and talent on the field.
instead, it's straight profit, something that is wrong, in my book.
anyway, as for karmonos, as a whaler fan, i'm not a huge supporter of his, but from a business perspective, i totally understand why the team had to move.
it stinks not being able to hear brass bonaza and see the mighty gang green take the ice, however, what's done is done.
hope i helped out.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
WalkerBabe

Thanks to all three of you ... I appreciate your comments. canesnecu, actually I got a lot of info on Karmanos from Luke's columns around the time that Lavi was fired/Maurice was brought back. (Can't find them to link right this minute ... I'll look for them.) No, I haven't read the old Whalers stuff ...

I understand your point about the small market/small STH base, and losing too much without his own cap ... Apparently, Luke doesn't cut him much slack for that. And, knucklehead, that's good to know about the floor, too.

I'll try to find the columns I'm referring to, and post back with them. Thanks again, guys!

Old
11-11-2009, 12:42 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBabe View Post
Thanks to all three of you ... I appreciate your comments. canesnecu, actually I got a lot of info on Karmanos from Luke's columns around the time that Lavi was fired/Maurice was brought back. (Can't find them to link right this minute ... I'll look for them.) No, I haven't read the old Whalers stuff ...

I understand your point about the small market/small STH base, and losing too much without his own cap ... Apparently, Luke doesn't cut him much slack for that. And, knucklehead, that's good to know about the floor, too.

I'll try to find the columns I'm referring to, and post back with them. Thanks again, guys!
Its not Luke's money. 'Nuff said.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

^ Agreed.

I will never criticize anyone who is willing to bring an NHL team here and take losses every year (which I believe we have done all but 2 years).

11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
WalkerBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
^ Agreed.

I will never criticize anyone who is willing to bring an NHL team here and take losses every year (which I believe we have done all but 2 years).
DaleCooper, don't think I'm criticizing PK. I'm just trying to understand the situation ... as I said above, I'm a real newbie to hockey and trying to understand what's what.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Oh, I wasn't really responding to anyone with that. I was lying, too, because I certainly have and will criticize PK. I would love to see a local ownership group buy the team some day, but as it stands, I'll always be indebted to PK for bringing the NHL to me, even if it was only because we had a nice shiny arena ready to be built.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

as an olde whaler fan, visiting the rbc center made the hartford civic center, aka the mall, look like a total dump.
i do miss going to see games with my dad, dropping by sam goodies, the soda fountain and wendy's for a quick bite before the puck dropped.
honestly though, moving to carolina made sense for so many reasons beyond the new arena.
hartgrd was a scary place at night, and not just because of the crime.
it did, and still does, totally clear out at night and become a ghost town.
until the franchise threatened to leave, people really didn't care that much about the team, not to mention by moving to carolina, the canes have a total monopoly on the hockey market, not having to compete with the ruins, strangers, fishsticks and other teams.
although i might not like it, it was the right move in the end.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote