HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

(4-3 SO LOSS): Rin Loses Game For Oilers

Old
11-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Rafters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
That goal was no fluke. That wrister was a rocket and Leclaire was lucky to get a piece of it. Would be nice to see more of that from Brule. Good effort from him to beat both D to the puck to make sure and poke it in, although it probably would have gone in anyway after the puck forced its way by Leclaire.
His shot does seem to hand cuff goalies

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:45 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Any good NHL goalie stops that shot.
Are you saying pascal is no good?

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:23 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
There! It's the refs fault, not mine.
Let me set the scene for you, Rin...

It's 1986. Your birthday. April 30th. You're behind your own net with the puck. It's the seventh game of a playoff series against the Flames. Fuhr's backing into his crease. Rin--No!

It's like that. Yeah, you're right--it's not your fault. It's Fuhrs. Sure. Sure, Rin. Whatever allows you to sleep at night. Go on deluding yourself.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Yanner39

I was in attendance last night with my five-year old son. He fell asleep in the 3rd period so I got to stay until the end.

First off, kudos to the Oiler fans who were there. Very loud.

One thing that was evident is that Grebeshkov and Gilbert are not ready to be top two d-men in this league. With Souray hurt this was a great time for them to step their game up and I don't see.

Next, I don't get why some are so down on guys like Moreau and reddox. They are really stepping up to fill in for the injured.

Finally, considering all the injuries you got to give the Oilers alot of credit for how they showed up against a healthy Sens team.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Let me set the scene for you, Rin...

It's 1986. Your birthday. April 30th. You're behind your own net with the puck. It's the seventh game of a playoff series against the Flames. Fuhr's backing into his crease. Rin--No!

It's like that. Yeah, you're right--it's not your fault. It's Fuhrs. Sure. Sure, Rin. Whatever allows you to sleep at night. Go on deluding yourself.
Oh this is nasty...Guilt like that you will carry for the rest of your days.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
So...many...giveaways...
3 of them belonged to JDD, and he lead all players I believe.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 07:44 AM
theranfordflop

Hey guys, just got back from Ottawa.

JDD was AWFUL. He was shaky all game long, didn't make one challenging save, and was weak on the Neil goal. He really needs to play more, because he's so much better than this.

Everybody else played really well! This was the Oilers most best game of the season so far. The Sens aren't exactly creme de la creme though, so part of it was weak competition too.

But boy was Penner flying out there. He's our best player bar none.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:11 AM
smythfan

I felt we played a really good road game. Couple of lucky bounces for both teams. 3 out of 4 points so far on this road trip is a good thing.

smythfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Belcriss
Its summer

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by smythfan View Post
I felt we played a really good road game. Couple of lucky bounces for both teams. 3 out of 4 points so far on this road trip is a good thing.
Agreed. With this depleted line up, thats three points we probably shouldn't have gotten. Lets hope that they can compete with Buffalo tonight.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:07 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I was in attendance and I was pleased with the effort level. As said before, Grebs and Gilbert aren't ready to be a top tier d-men.

It was a very fast and open game, I feel that if Hemmer was able to go, he would have been the difference and it never would have gotten to OT. But we had ample opportunities in order to close the deal and couldn't do it.

I had a blast and screw the usher that told my buddy who was sitting at the glass, to sit down and stop cheering because people around him couldn't see. Lady, it's a hockey game, **** off.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I had a blast and screw the usher that told my buddy who was sitting at the glass, to sit down and stop cheering because people around him couldn't see. Lady, it's a hockey game, **** off.
Your supposed to watch the game not screw the ushers...

I have had that happen to me in Van City quite a bit. I cheer loud in GM Place and always get told by the ushers to sit down. I just yell back at them "I paid" you didn't. ****!

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Your supposed to watch the game not screw the ushers...

I have had that happen to me in Van City quite a bit. I cheer loud in GM Place and always get told by the ushers to sit down. I just yell back at them "I paid" you didn't. ****!
It was to the point even the Sens fans around him were telling the usher to screw off.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
It was to the point even the Sens fans around him were telling the usher to screw off.
Too funny, I could hear a chant in the third period on the tube.. "let's Go Oilers". Good for them...

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I just got back and watched the highlights. Looks as if the Oilers played decent and if it wasn't for a rare Vis giveaway that resulted in a goal and Deslaurie getting steamed over by the Sens.. this was an Oiler victory. How they counted that goal is beyond me..

At least the Oil got a point out of it.
I was at the game... what probably wasn't noticable on TV was that when Vis got the puck, Smid (who had been "square" across from him bolted cross ice for the bench. It took away Vis' only passing option, and since the LW had also left (before Smid) for a change, he had nowhere to go except behind his net, or to throw a hopeful backhand up the boards (risking a too many men at the Oilers bench).

In short, I blame Smid for that goal. It was a poor change on his part. He should have received the pass from Vis and fired to a fresh changed forward before making his way to the bench.

Overall it was a pretty good game, but I was amazed at the poor puck protection by both teams in the first. Typical of regular season games, but I find that whenever I'm there in person it feels like it takes till 2nd/3rd period before people learn to control the puck.

I agree with others in attendance: Penner was good (A), OMarra very noticeable on the ice (B+). Brule still chugging along (B+). JDD just not sharp and had rebound control issues (C-). Moreau played a better game than most of his lately (B). Pisani wasn't skating... too cautious on the forecheck (B-). Vis was our best defenceman (A-). Gilbert and Grebs both seem to be too carefree with the puck (D+). Strudwick was pretty solid (B). Staios played a "steady Steve" game (A). Comrie must have been sick (C). Cogs played well, initiated physically, shame about the finish (A-), Gagner was good with the puck, but looked like a child physically, was pushed around and on his butt too much (B-).

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Too funny, I could hear a chant in the third period on the tube.. "let's Go Oilers". Good for them...
Yeah we got it going pretty good. Big props to the "Oilers section" in the 300's. They were noisy all night. The rest of us did our best to chime in. But most times you didn't know what was being chanted "Go Sens Go" or "Let's Go Oilers" because both are on different beats, it was just a jumble of noise.

Old
11-11-2009, 11:55 AM
blue_n_copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
So...many...giveaways...
As compared to what? Obviously you weren't watching the Oilers last week. This team remains vulnerable to aggressive forechecking but this game was a huge improvement over some of their other recent efforts in that category.

blue_n_copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:01 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Are you saying pascal is no good?
.898 SV% is pretty bad.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
.898 SV% is pretty bad.
Laughable, if it was 0.2 of a percent higher we wouldn't be hearing much.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Hey guys, just got back from Ottawa.

JDD was AWFUL. He was shaky all game long, didn't make one challenging save, and was weak on the Neil goal. He really needs to play more, because he's so much better than this.

Everybody else played really well! This was the Oilers most best game of the season so far. The Sens aren't exactly creme de la creme though, so part of it was weak competition too.

But boy was Penner flying out there. He's our best player bar none.

I believe the long layoff had a little to do with JDD's shakiness with the puck and rebounds

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Anyone under .920 isn't having much of a start to the season.

You disagree?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
That nine days sure went fast.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote