Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Lehtonen...

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2009, 08:01 PM
The Sneak

vCash: 500
Of course Lehtonen will get a rehab stint in Chicago. What are some of you people thinking? That he's going to walk out of the hospital and want to be in the lineup? He's got a long road in front of him and the team will have ample opportunity to evaluate his game. If Pavelec continues to play excellent hockey then Lehtonen or Hedberg or MacIntyre or Legace will be getting an odd start on back to backs to rest the ace. If Pavelec plays 4 good and 4 bad then we're not a playoff team anyway.

Regarding Kari as an asset? he's a free agent at the end of the year, and I believe restricted at that. We aren't going to be able to move him before he hits free agency simply because no one will offer us enough value fearing his fragility. It'll be up to the team on whether they want to go to that well one more time or cut bait and use his salary dollars on someone else.

Old
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Problem is he has ZERO trade value if he doesn't step on the ice and prove himself post-injury, preferably at the NHL level. I'd like to see him get some conditioning starts in the AHL and then steal a few games from Hedberg to prove he is healthy enough to play again. With that out the way we can make an effective decision about whether to bring him back as the back-up next year (assuming Pavelec continues to play well), give him a shot at getting his job back, or trade him. Taking away the "can he still play?" question mark would do wonders for his return in the event of a trade.
I am not saying we trade him. I just do not think he will be healthy enough to play this year then we do not resign him. Maybe I am wrong and he recovers and gets in hockey shape some time this season. Then we have a decision to make.

Old
11-05-2009, 01:53 AM
toph2o

I'd be thrilled to be in a position to get anything at all in return for him this year. I was thinking his future might be as a backup, surely he can stay healthy for 20-30 games per season, but then I thought about how he'd likely not be in peak shape if he plays that seldom, and would perhaps be MORE likely to get hurt. So now I'm thinking the next step for Kari is to go back to Europe next year and prove he can stay healthy. If DW can find someone, anyone, willing to trade just about anything at all for him, jump on it. Pavelec may not be the answer, it's too soon to tell, but Kari's not it for sure.

Old
11-07-2009, 07:36 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

We need a goalie period i dont give a ___ (watch my language little kids might report me) who it is.

Pavelec is not the answer and for some reason people are in denial. I don't wanna hear any of you Pavelec homers cry and complain when were golfing again.

Old
11-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Considering the kind of physical shape Lehtonen was in when he was on a regular workout schedule I'd hate to see what he looks like right now having not been able to work out for months.
He looked fine when I saw him strolling around IKEA this afternoon with a girl who had really bad hair.

Old
11-07-2009, 11:20 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
He looked fine when I saw him strolling around IKEA this afternoon with a girl who had really bad hair.
Nice, that's always good to hear, he's been really... puffy... in the past.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:44 AM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
hahaha im pretty sure thats my friend's friends sister...she went to Brookwood, go figure.

Old
11-08-2009, 01:02 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
We need a goalie period i dont give a ___ (watch my language little kids might report me) who it is.

Pavelec is not the answer and for some reason people are in denial. I don't wanna hear any of you Pavelec homers cry and complain when were golfing again.
Dude, how many times has he had more than 4-6 consecutive starts before? Growing pains happen even to the BEST of goalies. Pavs has a very high ceiling, but the key is patience. This team can't seriously expect to win the cup this season, so now is the time to let him and the other young guys with a lot of potential develop now. I'm not saying tank, but hey, be more realistic, this happens to ALL young players at some point.

Old
11-08-2009, 05:01 AM
GetPucksDeep

Pavs fundamentals are not good enough for him to have a 'high ceiling' in the NHL.

Old
11-08-2009, 06:16 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
Pavs fundamentals are not good enough for him to have a 'high ceiling' in the NHL.
Poor man's Dom Hasek, or a somewhat less gifted Ryan Miller. He's struggling with consistency, all young goalies do.

Old
11-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
hahaha im pretty sure thats my friend's friends sister...she went to Brookwood, go figure.
Really short with 2-tone streaked hair?

No, he didn't seem puffy, but that was only the second time I ahd seen him so I don't have much to go on other than his team picture.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:25 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
I fully agree. I'm not fond of goalies working on basic technique issues in the NHL. That's what the AHL is for.

Old
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
i giggled sillily when i read ikea & lehtonen in the same sentence, its almost like a perfect match.

Old
11-11-2009, 05:53 PM
GetPucksDeep

Lehtonen "probably out til the first of the year." - Don Waddell interview.

Old
11-11-2009, 07:04 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Lehtonen "probably out til the first of the year." - Don Waddell interview.
Got a link?

Old
11-11-2009, 07:12 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
I fully agree. I'm not fond of goalies working on basic technique issues in the NHL. That's what the AHL is for.
I can recall at least two or three goalies who "didn't have good enough fundamentals to be successful in the NHL". I'm referring to Hasek, Felix Potvin and a few others...

Old
11-11-2009, 07:47 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I can recall at least two or three goalies who "didn't have good enough fundamentals to be successful in the NHL". I'm referring to Hasek, Felix Potvin and a few others...
Oh give me a ****ing break. Please don't tell me you're willing to walk down that road and compare Pavelec to Hasek, Potvin, etc.

Old
11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Oh give me a ****ing break. Please don't tell me you're willing to walk down that road and compare Pavelec to Hasek, Potvin, etc.
He's not nearly that good, yet. His ceiling isn't that high, but it's that of an above average starting goaltender with outstanding athleticism and reflexes. Those are things that cannot be taught, but positioning and fundamentals can be.

Old
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

He certainly has that manic Hasek style(or lack thereof).

Pavelec has shown us flashes of brilliance, no doubt about that. It took Hasek far longer to establish himself in the NHL.

Old
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
He's not nearly that good, yet. His ceiling isn't that high, but it's that of an above average starting goaltender with outstanding athleticism and reflexes. Those are things that cannot be taught, but positioning and fundamentals can be.
Dear lord I hope so for our sake

Old
11-11-2009, 07:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Dear lord I hope so for our sake
I'm a little surprised by how quickly people vacillate between thinking Pavs is great and how much he sucks! This is very normal of all young goalies, no matter how good or bad they are.

Old
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
I think even calling him an above average starting goaltender is too much of a stretch at this point. He is a starting goalie. He is not above average. Hell, he may not even be a starting goalie once Lehtonen gets back.

Quick has the size, athleticism, reflexes that Pavelec has plus the positioning and fundamentals. All while being drafted a round later than Pavelec in the 2005 draft.

Old
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Got a link?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/podcastplayer...=282&iid=16882

Old
11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Gracias.

Old
11-11-2009, 11:58 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
I'm a little surprised by how quickly people vacillate between thinking Pavs is great and how much he sucks! This is very normal of all young goalies, no matter how good or bad they are.
The difference being I've never thought he was great...

Said it a million times- I'll take a goalie that lets in 2 or 3 every night over a goalie that lets in 1 or 0 half the time and 4 or 5 the other half. That consistency takes years to develop in all but the greatest of goalies, I'm still confused as to why we're trying to ride Pavelec so early in his development.

Closed Thread