HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Seabrook, Campbell or Barker

Old
10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
smokes lets go

vCash: 500
What kind of potential does Barker have? He looked great on the PP from what i saw, but as others pointed out, he's horrible in the turn-over department

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
paulster2626

I like Barker over Seabrook. I think Barker's in for a great year, he seems to make a lot of clutch plays near the end of the game. Admittedly, living where I do I have not seen a ton of games, but that's my take. He's got the friendliest cap-hit of all three of those guys too, which is a bonus.

Edit: ^^^^ appears I have not seen enough of "Mr. Giveaway"...

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:34 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
What kind of potential does Barker have? He looked great on the PP from what i saw, but as others pointed out, he's horrible in the turn-over department
If he ever pulls his head out of his ass the skies the limit.

The problem with Barker and many "talented" hockey players is that he just doesn't seem to have ANY awareness. For instance last night he winds up on a play where the puck squirts back to the blue line, a defender was in front of him, and three Hawks players were stuck behind the goal line. Instead of setting up the puck and letting his team reassemble, he blasts an ill-advised shot right into the said defender. It's turned into a 3 on 1 breakaway and the Hawks were fortunate the Oilers didn't capitalize. This kind of stuff happens ALL the time with him.

Maybe Barker will slowly pick things up and possibly capitalize on his talent. He has a heavy shot and can be a very effective point man (and has the LH shot). However he looks so lost most of the time, including positioning with the aforementioned above, that I just can't see that happening. I really hope it does, but at this juncture he's probably better trade bait then anything else.

He's also not the best skater out there and this is even more apparent playign with Sopel (as neither one are good enough to bail out the other's mistakes). We also have a glut of capable to good offensive defensemen (even Nik is looking better and skates better as well), which means his talents are more useful on another team. If a team that lacks a point man has young, cheap NHL ready defensive defensemen, it would be a trade that could potentially work out very well with both teams.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:43 AM
TweetyLeaf

Quote:
Barker´s PowerPlay potential Is Hall of Fame.
In best situation he can be even better than Mike Green.

He just needs to start being more intensive and "get in to the game" and learn (hard way) not to turn the puck over so much.

In my opinion Hawks are making huge mistake when they play Sopel with him. If they would play him with intensive defensive Dman Barker could actually learn something and elevate his own play.

Now he is being used as 3rd pair Hazard and PP Bomb and nothing else.
At least we dont make him play wing or "wrong side".

Damn Hawks can sometimes take the spark away from good prospects.

TweetyLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:14 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyLeaf View Post
Barker´s PowerPlay potential Is Hall of Fame.
In best situation he can be even better than Mike Green.

He just needs to start being more intensive and "get in to the game" and learn (hard way) not to turn the puck over so much.

In my opinion Hawks are making huge mistake when they play Sopel with him. If they would play him with intensive defensive Dman Barker could actually learn something and elevate his own play.

Now he is being used as 3rd pair Hazard and PP Bomb and nothing else.
At least we dont make him play wing or "wrong side".

Damn Hawks can sometimes take the spark away from good prospects.
Intensive defensive dman translates to "pylon." He needs to play with somebody who can skate. Unfortunately, we don't really have anyone like that available right now.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:55 AM
TweetyLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Intensive defensive dman translates to "pylon." He needs to play with somebody who can skate. Unfortunately, we don't really have anyone like that available right now.
We dont, we should get one tho.

Old
10-16-2009, 10:01 AM
smokes lets go

so a vetern like adam foote would of been a much better option to play with Barker?

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:08 AM
TweetyLeaf

Quote:
so a vetern like adam foote would of been a much better option to play with Barker?
Or Robidas, Or Ward, Or even Dandenault
I ran a thread about the possibilities here what i would personally go after, sadly i havent watched any of these guys (except maybe Robidas) so closely i would feel like i would be comfy to say "yes thats definately the guy we want to play with Barker".

EDIT: Its the one thing that in my opinion we have done wrong with so many players in Blackhawks over the years: they come as prospects and have great possibilities to develop into anything we want, then we give them time to develop in the juniors and so on but when they come and start playing for hawks we stop thinking their developement, we just think the wins. Wich is good im not saying that. Its the point of the game to win.
But at the same time we are complicating our future possibilities to win even more when we dont think of those players developement in NHL level especially in situations where we could have both.

I remember "couple" years back we had totally lop sided offence,allmost no one was natural LW and the young guys developement (for example Ruutu) really suffered from that they were suffled all a round in the ice.

In my strong opinion you got to give them some time to settle down to NHL and develop their game "peacefully", if its possible. If its not possible then make it possible becouse its usually not a huge thing (in this case it is kinda becouse it would need a trade, sadly) it just needs the management and coaches to pay attention.

Last edited by TweetyLeaf: 10-16-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old
10-28-2009, 11:02 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Deadline Deal

To Chicago: Anton Volchenkov ($2.5 mil) & SJ 2nd round pick
To Ottawa: Beach, Skille, Lalonde & Sopel ($2.3 mil)

- Volchenkov is a UFA at season's end, he is a shotblocking & hitting machine.
- Volchenkov shoots left but plays on the right side, has a little offense to his game.
- Chicago overpays to get one of the top defensive defenceman in the NHL.
- Ottawa needs to clear some space on the backend for next season.

- Beach has all the tools but is also a loose cannon, possible boom or bust.
- Skille - it's still undecided whether this guy is a top 6 or bottom 6 player.
- Lalonde is a decent defenceman but not great, likely a bottom pairing guy.
- Sopel isn't worth a 2nd round pick but it even's out the salary exchange.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:40 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

I wouldn't trade two legit prospects and Skille for a year of Volchenkov. Those guys are exactly who we're going to need next year since they're low paid.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post

- Volchenkov shoots left but plays on the right side, has a little offense to his game.

Not a chance.

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Steve Larmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post

How can you think that would ever be attractive to the Hawks?

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:14 PM
DirkGraham

Don't like that trade at all! Kyle Beach is an incredible talent. Not too mention he plays an old school hawks rough style and has the size to back it up! Loose cannon or not, I think he will fit in fine. He's doing great at the junior level so there's no real evidence to suggest he won't do good at the next level.

The same should be said for Barker; although he is maturing a bit slower than expected; remember, he was drafted a year after Seabrook! He was great in Medicine Hat. They had some great years there with him playing solid defence. His first year in the Hat he averaged just over a point every second game (47 points in 64 games and a minus 16) The rest of his time there was almost a point a game (65 points in 69 games, 48p in 52g and 18p in 26g and was well on the plus side too). He has a great shot and will be good if he's given some time to mature.

Nobody has mentioned Campbell's great skating ability in here. When he gets going end to end, it sure is something to watch. What a great skater! Defensively he has some flaws and I agree is overpaid, but boy is he ever a smooth skater!

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:36 AM
hawkdynasti*

In the future

Keith
Seabrook
Hjarlmasson
Campbell
Lalonde

hawkdynasti* is offline   Reply With Quote