HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Manny Legace a Cane

Old
11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
I think in most situations, your points ring true and are valid. However, in this particular situation I disagree with you. I don't think it's fair or smart to throw a guy like Peters in here when the team has lost 12 games in a row.

Then again, I guess the bar would be set low for him!

11-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The only way you find out if a goalie is ready is to play him. Perhaps playing a young goaltender would force the team to play a harder in front of him?

It's not as if this is Peters' rookie season, it's his 4th season as a professional. Wouldn't now be a good time to give him as hot to see what he can do at the NHL level? Heck, the worst thing that can happen is that the Canes lose some games, which is certainly likely with a tandem of Leights and Legace.

Besides what message are you sending to a 2nd round draft pick when the team would rather sign a has been putting up significantly worse numbers at the AHL level instead of giving him a shot?
I trust our staff here and their line of thinking to not throw Peters to the wolves here in the midst of a horrendous 12 game losing skid and into a team that has managed just 2 wins in 16 games. Peters is a project and he isn't ready for the big show yet. Most could agree Peters needs this one more year to get it together and round out his game before we give him a shot as a backup next October. If Peters was ready, Jim Rutherford would have had no problem throwing him into the lineup and saving money. It would have been an easy 'Jimmy kinda move' to save a couple bucks and bring the kid in. But rather than doing so he went out and spent a few bucks. It wouldn't have been done if they felt Peters could be the guy and it wouldn't have been done if they felt it was the right time, place & situation to bring Peters into. Add to the fact Joe Corvo described our locker room to that of a wake/funeral... you don't put a young, undeveloped netminder into that atmosphere.

You bring up valid points, it's just based on where Peters is today, where we want him to be tomorrow, combined with the current state of this team, it's just not a fit.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-11-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:47 AM
StormCast

Quote:
How can you say Legace is far better than Leights or Peters? Currently Legace isn't even putting up good numbers at the AHL level while Peters is. Whatever Legace did in the past is just that and has no bearing on the future. Before spending the money on Legace, why not give Peters an opportunity to play? It's not as if Legace wouldn't be there next week if need be.
Because I've seen them all play and based that opinion on observation not just stat lines. They are looking for someone to step up for a period of time while Ward is out and Legace best fills that kind of role. Leighton is a journeyman who simply isn't consistent enough and Peters isn't ready. Who cares about their AHL stats over a relatively few games? Leighton tore up the AHL a couple of seasons ago and has major holes in his game still at the NHL level. Again, I see Peters as an NHL journeyman at best.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:39 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Because I've seen them all play and based that opinion on observation not just stat lines. They are looking for someone to step up for a period of time while Ward is out and Legace best fills that kind of role. Leighton is a journeyman who simply isn't consistent enough and Peters isn't ready. Who cares about their AHL stats over a relatively few games? Leighton tore up the AHL a couple of seasons ago and has major holes in his game still at the NHL level. Again, I see Peters as an NHL journeyman at best.
I think it says something about how the netminders are currently playing. Doesn't it say something that

1. No NHL team even offered to sign Legace to a 2-way deal in the off-season
2. That Legace isn't even putting up good numbers in the AHL

If Legace was lighting up the AHL then I'd say that it's a good signing, but he's not.

That said I too have seen all 3 netminders play. I've been watching Leighton since his days in Norfolk and I agree that he's not capable of handling the load (frankly I don't think he's a NHL netminder period). What Legace did 3-5 years ago is irrelevant. What is relevant is his mediocre play this season at the minor league level while Peters is playing extremely well.

If Peters was a rookie then I would agree that bringing in another goalie is a good idea, but this is his 4th professional season. See what the kid can do. As I said if he doesn't play well in a couple of starts Legace would still be there next week to sign.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If Peters was a rookie then I would agree that bringing in another goalie is a good idea, but this is his 4th professional season. See what the kid can do. As I said if he doesn't play well in a couple of starts Legace would still be there next week to sign.
So what happens if we went that route only to have Peters lose in poor fashion each and every night (which would happen), Peters will not make a difference on this team, he'd likely lose all confidence he had going for him, get sent back to Albany and then see Carolina sign a vet. Why even bother. It's not worth the risk. The kid is having his strongest season to date in the AHL, looks to be polishing and rounding out his game nicely, why throw him to the wolves on the worst team in the league, a team that has lost 13 in a row, won only 2 of their 17 games, is at the bottom of the league in goals forced and goals against, has shown absolutely no signs in turning around their season, has a locker room that resembles that of a wake/funeral (Re: Joe Corvo). What do you expect Peters to do? It's not even worth the chance. Let the kid continue his developement in a good environment down in Albany. Carolina is not the place for a young, developing goaltender who would be placed in net and hung out to dry. Peters may be in his 4th professional season but he is still polishing and rounding out his game, he is developing. There is no need to take him from a good place right now and insert him into a bad situation, no need whatsoever.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-12-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old
11-12-2009, 09:39 AM
StormCast

Quote:
I think it says something about how the netminders are currently playing. Doesn't it say something that

1. No NHL team even offered to sign Legace to a 2-way deal in the off-season
2. That Legace isn't even putting up good numbers in the AHL

If Legace was lighting up the AHL then I'd say that it's a good signing, but he's not.

That said I too have seen all 3 netminders play. I've been watching Leighton since his days in Norfolk and I agree that he's not capable of handling the load (frankly I don't think he's a NHL netminder period). What Legace did 3-5 years ago is irrelevant. What is relevant is his mediocre play this season at the minor league level while Peters is playing extremely well.

Teams shied away from Legace because he reacted poorly to how he got squeezed out of St. Louis after his injury and ultimately sent to the AHL. He actually played well for Atlanta in training camp, he was very sharp against the Canes, but they opted to keep Hedberg who's been their backup for several years now.

How players are cast aside or overlooked by other teams is an unreliable barometer. See Jokinen for a recent example of a useful player at a crucial time who the entire league took a pass on.

Comparing Legace and Peters' AHL numbers at this stage of the year shows little. Different D's in front of them vs. different teams, etc. Numbers rarely tell the whole story and Legace's strong performance against Carolina in the pre-season probably factored in much more than a stat line check.

We agree on Leighton but not on Peters. I hate to say it but realistically he is organization depth at this point, IMO, and far from ready to step in. I don't care what his stats show either just as Leighton's AHL numbers didn't mask his obvious flaws at the NHL level. He isn't the answer and finding a veteran NHL goalie was the right move. It was a good signing for those reasons but, of course, it remains to be seen if it translates on the ice.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
pelts35.com

Valid points and we can agree to disagree. I personally don't see any harm in giving Peters a couple of starts. If a couple of losses destroys his confidence then he probably doesn't have the mental strength to be an NHL goalie anyway.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Valid points and we can agree to disagree. I personally don't see any harm in giving Peters a couple of starts. If a couple of losses destroys his confidence then he probably doesn't have the mental strength to be an NHL goalie anyway.
My line of thinking is it's just goaltenders are a funny breed, when they're on they're on and a lot of the time you don't mess with that, especially when you're dealing with a young goaltender in the midst of developing. Sure a call-up on most occasions would be ideal to get his feet wet, but a call-up to a team displaying what we are makes no sense for a young goaltender. You're throwing him into the fire. Inserting a young goalie into Carolina at this current time is like showing up to a gun fight with a knife, good luck. It may very well not hurt him, but I don't see the sense in taking the risks involved and inserting him in such a bad atmosphere. For me the pros/cons in keeping him in Albany outweigh the pros/cons that could be detrimental to his progress he's made in Albany this year if he were to be in Carolina.

If we were a .500 team that atleast displayed the potential to play a good hockey game, than my line of thinking may be different and much like yours, but we're such a bad team carrying such a bad atmosphere in the locker room that inserting a developing goaltender just isn't logical.