HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mac Bennett

Old
11-06-2009, 08:57 PM
GeneralMarky79

vCash: 500
Mac Bennett

Hey whats up everyone. Just wanted to let everyone know that I got a chance to see Mac Bennett play today for team USA in the World Junior A challenge here in PEI. They were playing in the semi finals versus russia and have made it to the finals. It was pretty exciting for me because of where I live I don't get to see any prospects play. In fact he is the first montreal prospect I have seen since Max Lapierre. Ill tell you it is really early to tell but this kid has a ton of potential. Hard to say if he will ever make the NHL but it was a treat to watch him. He played in all situations. Power Play, lots of Reg Ice time and was on the ice for a 5 on 3 Penalty Kill. He was + 1 in the game and had an assist. Im sure some of you saw him in the development camp but Mac is a very very good skater. He has very good vision on the Ice and uses his teamates well. His first pass out of the zone was very accurate and very timely. He made very good decisions with the puck and was always in position. One thing that I think compliments all of this is that he has a very deceptive and hard shot from the point. I loved watching him play. Well i hope everyone enjoyed my little write up I thought it might brighten up the season a bit with so many of our defensemen going down to injury. I don't know If we will ever see him with our Habs but I sure hope so. To me he seems like a steal in the 3rd round if he can put on another 20-30 pounds

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Thanks a lot MaxPac. I've seen him live at the dev. camp and he was pretty great to watch. Mostly because he didn't try to do too much and was playing an already pretty impressive positional play for a guy his age. We didn't see as much his skating though we saw it in a few occasions.

But he is a pretty interesting prospect. The only thing for me, and what they Habs org. wishes is that he gets some size and strength like it seems all of his family has. If it happens, this kid might be a major prospect for us.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Pretty upset that I had to come home just before all that got started. Was helping rebuild our cottage in Hunter River/New Glasgow for a few weeks until last weekend. Bummed.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Maxpac

Thanks for the info.

Do you guys think Jordan Leopold could be a good comparison for Bennett?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Thanks for the info.

Do you guys think Jordan Leopold could be a good comparison for Bennett?
That's actually not bad. I also thought of Matt Carle.

Old
11-06-2009, 09:08 PM
MarkovsKnee

Hey nice thanks for the info. He's an exciting prospect. Looking forward to seeing him in Hamilton and then Montreal one day.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX PACIORETTY View Post
Hey whats up everyone. Just wanted to let everyone know that I got a chance to see Mac Bennett play today for team USA in the World Junior A challenge here in PEI. They were playing in the semi finals versus russia and have made it to the finals. It was pretty exciting for me because of where I live I don't get to see any prospects play. In fact he is the first montreal prospect I have seen since Max Lapierre. Ill tell you it is really early to tell but this kid has a ton of potential. Hard to say if he will ever make the NHL but it was a treat to watch him. He played in all situations. Power Play, lots of Reg Ice time and was on the ice for a 5 on 3 Penalty Kill. He was + 1 in the game and had an assist. Im sure some of you saw him in the development camp but Mac is a very very good skater. He has very good vision on the Ice and uses his teamates well. His first pass out of the zone was very accurate and very timely. He made very good decisions with the puck and was always in position. One thing that I think compliments all of this is that he has a very deceptive and hard shot from the point. I loved watching him play. Well i hope everyone enjoyed my little write up I thought it might brighten up the season a bit with so many of our defensemen going down to injury. I don't know If we will ever see him with our Habs but I sure hope so. To me he seems like a steal in the 3rd round if he can put on another 20-30 pounds
Nice post! Thanks for your insight!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
GeneralMarky79

i think Jordan Leopold would be close although I dont like to compare players. Although they are both american. Mac Is probably less physical at his stage but that is a close comparison.

Old
11-06-2009, 09:55 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

A little bit in advance but USA plays for the gold on Sunday and the game is on TSN2 at 4PM ET.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
A little bit in advance but USA plays for the gold on Sunday and the game is on TSN2 at 4PM ET.
Of course TSN2.....

Wasn't it on TSN last year? Freakin Videotron....

Old
11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Of course TSN2.....

Wasn't it on TSN last year? Freakin Videotron....
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll put up the game on their site after it's done. I'm pretty sure all hockey games on TSN and TSN2 are archived.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I watched some of the gold medal game, Bennett looked good, was on the top pairing. He moves so well out there and can pass the puck with solid tape to tape passes. Seems very calm with the puck, lots of poise, just doesn't seem to rush things. Can't wait to see him at Michigan next year, would be cool if he ended up paired with Pateryn.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Habitants

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ged-Tigre.html

Quote:
0. Mac Bennett, D – Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL): Named to the World Jr. A Challenge’s all-tournament team, the athletic American blueliner helped his team take the title thanks to his solid defensive game. Bennett is committed to the University of Michigan. Drafted 79th overall by Montreal in 2009.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
Wow, didn't expect him to get it on defensive play alone. Just hope his offensive game continues to progress.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:21 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

This is really good to see, would be interesting to see how much of a chance he will have in the WJC camp for the USA. If not this year, he should be a lock on their team next year.

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:25 PM
GeneralMarky79

This kid was definately a treat to watch. Like I said I dont get to see our prospects very often but he is a good one. VERY SMART PLAYER!!!!!

Old
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Strangely, at first when he was drafted while he was portrayed as a 2-way d-man, his offensive game was mostly talked about. What we've seen mostly in the dev. camp is how incredibly sound he was defensively for a young guy and mostly a guy who has to be really intelligent to make up for his lack of size and strength.

So what remains to be seen, and if people who saw him during this camp could come with their reviews, how's his offensive game developing? Did he decide to mostly stay-at home? Any rushes? Anything that he tried and didn't convert? Or just a quiet defensive game?

Old
11-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Mathletic

how does Mac compare to Biega?

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
how does Mac compare to Biega?
biega? wich one ? they are 4 biega brother out there ?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
biega? wich one ? they are 4 biega brother out there ?
Alex, the d-man who plays at Harvard with Leblanc

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Alex, the d-man who plays at Harvard with Leblanc
well its tough to compare the two because biega is now a senior at harvard and bennett is not even in college yet

their both similar, from what ive seen and read i think biega is more physical and bennett probably better defensively. like i said both are similar but i think bennett has a bigger pro upside

btw , danny the 3rd Biega brother is a freshman at harvard and eligible for the 2010 draft

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote