HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#19 - 11.12.09 | Atlanta Thrashers @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
He was going shoulder down and did turned to land otherwise to prevent injury. Good move. It does some embellishment, but I do not think kid wanted the call as much as he wanted to land correctly.
Agreed.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Odd man rushes are a part of the system Tortorella uses. That's not going to change.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I agree with whoever made the comment about video.

Our style of play is very predictable. And Tortorella is very predictable as a coach (from an opposition team's perspective). What I see here is that teams have figured out our weakness, and our inability to counter-adjust to a team who plays against our strength is blatantly obvious.

We saw this with the Devils a few weeks ago, Minnesota and the Bruins -- all played a trap or a 1-2-2 defense which effectively shut us down in the neutral zone or blue line forcing dump-ins and giving odd-man rushes when the other team regained possession. (I'm not saying this was the problem last night, quite the contrary). But my point is rather our inability to adapt.

Tortorella needs to stop being so ******* stubborn with his system and adapt as needed. We can still be a run and gun team but we need to be flexible when it isn't working at times, not keep forcing the envelope.

Also, if we're gonna run and gun, we need our defense to be competent. It doesn't help we have 2 rookies and no 7th D-Man, but we have some gaping holes in defense (and secondary scoring).

This team is definitely starting to resemble the Jagr-era all over again and we all know how well that worked.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
I agree with whoever made the comment about video.

Our style of play is very predictable. And Tortorella is very predictable as a coach (from an opposition team's perspective). What I see here is that teams have figured out our weakness, and our inability to counter-adjust to a team who plays against our strength is blatantly obvious.

We saw this with the Devils a few weeks ago, Minnesota and the Bruins -- all played a trap or a 1-2-2 defense which effectively shut us down in the neutral zone or blue line forcing dump-ins and giving odd-man rushes when the other team regained possession. (I'm not saying this was the problem last night, quite the contrary). But my point is rather our inability to adapt.

Tortorella needs to stop being so ******* stubborn with his system and adapt as needed. We can still be a run and gun team but we need to be flexible when it isn't working at times, not keep forcing the envelope.

Also, if we're gonna run and gun, we need our defense to be competent. It doesn't help we have 2 rookies and no 7th D-Man, but we have some gaping holes in defense (and secondary scoring).

This team is definitely starting to resemble the Jagr-era all over again and we all know how well that worked.
Whose to say he even can? Im beginning to become more and more concerned that Torts is a one trick pony.

He caught lightning in a bottle with LeCavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Boyle, and a red-hot Khabibulan back in 2004.

People love to point out the cup victory on his resume, but they're not so quick to point out that hes a .500 coach.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Whose to say he even can? Im beginning to become more and more concerned that Torts is a one trick pony.
Geez... I mumbled something on the subject when he was hired, but you put it in words

On the other hand, the two teams are very similar on paper.
Bogosian-MDZ
Gabi-Kovi
Hedberg-Lundy
ATL goalie was equal while 1st line was better.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Geez... I mumbled something on the subject when he was hired, but you put it in words

On the other hand, the two teams are very similar on paper.
Bogosian-MDZ
Gabi-Kovi
Hedberg-Lundy
ATL goalie was equal while 1st line was better.
I hope you just mean in terms of last night's game. Because Henrik Lundqvist overall is soooo much better than Hedberg.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:17 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You mean the Rangers couldn't find a video of one of the dozen or so games Kovalchuk had played this season? Give me a break.
Kovalchuk arrival surprised the entire NHL. You missed not only the game

It would be too freakin' late to change the game plan. They did it on the fly. They lost.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I hope you just mean in terms of last night's game. Because Henrik Lundqvist overall is soooo much better than Hedberg.
Correct. I also think MDZ is already better that Bogosian. They are comparable, though.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:38 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

And ATL killed the Kings 7-0 tonight...not feeling so bad...team turned red hot again getting Kovy back.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:57 AM
MaximusT

^ yep..Kovy with 2 snipes, Evander Kane picked up 2 goals and then Afinogenov had two highlight reel goals...
all three scored against last night so I don't feel bad, they got hot at the right time while were limping around with injuries

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote