HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need Help Selecting Skates

Old
11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

vCash: 500
Need Help Selecting Skates

Ive recently got back onto a beer league team after not playing for a while. Ive had the odd pickup game, but no league play. A few years ago I bought these reebok skates (the model eludes me) and i was under the impression that they were pretty well suited to me.

After playing more often in the last month, ive noticed that these skates definitely dont suit me too well. Ive decided to get a new pair of skates.

They feel very soft, and i often feel as though im trying to skate in quicksand. Ive usually been a pretty quick skater, but ive found that i got nothing with these skates.

First of all, Im around 6 feet tall and 200lbs.

After reading up a bit recently, i figured out that I need a skate that is relatively stiff to deal with my weight. Ive looked around, and found some bauer and easton models, but im not sure which ones would be best suited to me.

My other problem is that I often feel that the salesmen at the local stores just want to make the sale, and often know little about the product, or if they do, choose to push the most expensive one (obviously).

So what skates would you guys recommend? im hoping to not spend over $300, but i know that in order to get a stiffer boot i will need to pay more (for a higher level skate...most likely).

Any input is greatly appreciated!
I play forward, usually wing. so im not sure if that will make a difference. I have a feeling that my weight is more important

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hockeyfan68

You want a skate a step above intermediate which means $300 and up these days.

I am a big guy like you and need a stiff boot too. Well all players do but you know what I mean.

In the past I have had heel seperation problems where the heel of the boot would let go from my weight which is a 6 ft 4 in 240lbs frame. Tight turns put a lot of force on the boot so they must be stiff.

I bought a 2003 pair of Bauer Vapor skates as a closeout for $99, they sold for $300 in 2003 and I love them. They are very stiff and solid ... I make that tight turn on one skate with the puck on my stick to make a shot quickly and it feels strong and confident.

My old skates were an intermediate pair of Vapors and I did not get that result.

I would recommend doing what my friend who owns a shop and does skates told me .... "Take my advice and spend the extra money and get the step up above intermediate. It will be worth the money to you as you are a big guy". he didn't tell me that to sell a skate as he knew I was going to buy them elsewhere. he was just helping out, it does sound like these guys are just making a sale but seriously you want a decent skate since 100% of the time you are on the ice you are on skates. You use your skates more than anything else .... they are the most important thing to buy and get right.

Like with an RBK skate get an RBK7 at the least and don't fiddle with the affordable RBK5 which are known to heel seperate with big guys as the boot has fiberglas instead of a good composite material.

All skate companies have the intermediate level skate, not sure who has which models etc but you can tell by researching this online or just making a post here and getting feedback from some very knowledgable folk in here with respect to exact models that are a good deal and good for a big guy.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:21 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

what about something like a bauer vapor X30 or X40, or easton SE16s?

they're all around 300-400$ and readily available.

there is a good hockey store near me, but everything there is expensive as hell and overpriced compared to other stores in the area. but they do have a pretty high-end selection

Old
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
what about something like a bauer vapor X30 or X40, or easton SE16s?

they're all around 300-400$ and readily available.

there is a good hockey store near me, but everything there is expensive as hell and overpriced compared to other stores in the area. but they do have a pretty high-end selection
I've heard great praise in here for the X40 ... like I said someone in this forum will answer your question about those skates because they own them already. That is what is so cool about this forum here.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Ani simov mal

Cant go wrong with the Vapor XXXX.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:53 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

im going to go try on some skates tomorrow. the local stores have the bauer X40s for $399. they also have the 07 XXXX's, but wont list their prices online. hopefully i can get a good deal on the older model, unless there are some crazy differences between the x40s and XXXXs

Old
11-09-2009, 02:03 AM
thedonger

it would help to know your foot type first. then you'll get some solid suggestions. you could get a top line pair of bauer one95's, but if they don't fit your fit type, they'll perform like absolute crap.
do you have a high volume foot? high or low arch? wide, narrow, regular forefoot? wide, regular, narrow heel? knowing the answers to those questions will go a long way for helping people here make a suggestion.
it's easy to say "go with a vapor x40 or supreme one75" as they are both stiffer boots that go for $3-400 roughly in your price range, but if neither fits your foot right, what good is it?

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:42 AM
BadHammy*

Quote:
im going to go try on some skates tomorrow. the local stores have the bauer X40s for $399. they also have the 07 XXXX's, but wont list their prices online. hopefully i can get a good deal on the older model, unless there are some crazy differences between the x40s and XXXXs
If you can fit in the old model vapor 40s, get them right away. They are awesome skates. Stiff, protective yet light and designed for speed. IMO, they are still as good as anything on the market now.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

as for my foot size. i think that i basically have a regular foot width. not sure about my heel width.

i wear orthotics usually, but not playing hockey, as i found that it made the skates so uncomfortable. my feet pronate, so i guess that translates to a low arch (???)...my feet are pretty flat.

does that info help at all?

Old
11-09-2009, 07:11 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

vCash: 50
I recently got some SE16's and if you are looking for a stiff boot, they are definitely that. I am your size and I'm loving these skates although the break in was a little rough. I had to bake 'em, skate in 'em twice and bake 'em again before they felt good. My runner up skates were RBK and both fit OK so if your feet fit in RBK's then the SE16's might work for you.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:13 PM
thedonger

Quote:
as for my foot size. i think that i basically have a regular foot width. not sure about my heel width.

i wear orthotics usually, but not playing hockey, as i found that it made the skates so uncomfortable. my feet pronate, so i guess that translates to a low arch (???)...my feet are pretty flat.

does that info help at all?
you sound like you would fit in a vapor well, if not for the flat feet. most bauers tend to have a good sized arch(with the exception of the flexlites), so if that's an issue for you, you may want to steer clear.

easton is a company that has very little arch support, so that may be a consideration, maybe the S12?

other low arch options are ccm U+ 09 or if you have a wider heel, rbk 9K's which are going on closeout right now.

as always, it's best to try them on first as there really is absolutely no way of knowing otherwise.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 01:18 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

thanks for the input.

i think im going to go the reputable local hockey shop and put myself in their hands. as you say, the bottom line is that it has to fit my foot right, so its hard to pick an exact skate and assume it will fit. i think that the best i can do is take all of the recommendations and research them, then see what fits. im mostly concerned with finding a range of skates that will deal with my bodyweight, then pick the best fit from those.

Old
11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

so i went and tried on some skates today.

i think ill end up going with the bauer X60s. i tried on the bauer x strikes (or something like that), but they did not fit as well.

i also tried on the rbk 9k pumps. they were SOOO uncomfortable. definitely not for my foot shape.

so i think ill end up spending more than i wanted to, but im getting them for $550, so at the end of the day i only end up paying roughly $100 more than I planned on. they're more expensive, but are pretty comfy already (havent heat molded them yet), and ridiculously light.

Old
11-12-2009, 02:38 AM
10 ft. pole

How would you rate the Graf ultra g-5's. I'm 6'. 205 and am a pretty good skater.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:57 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
so i went and tried on some skates today.

i think ill end up going with the bauer X60s. i tried on the bauer x strikes (or something like that), but they did not fit as well.

i also tried on the rbk 9k pumps. they were SOOO uncomfortable. definitely not for my foot shape.

so i think ill end up spending more than i wanted to, but im getting them for $550, so at the end of the day i only end up paying roughly $100 more than I planned on. they're more expensive, but are pretty comfy already (havent heat molded them yet), and ridiculously light.

I bought X60 couple weeks ago. Im satisfied so far, theyre very light and I skate even faster.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Dog, you did the best thing you could possibly do, go on and try skates. The best skates on the market are the ones that fit your feet properly and comfortably.

If you find Grafs, I recommend you read my response to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
How would you rate the Graf ultra g-5's. I'm 6'. 205 and am a pretty good skater.
Grafs make pretty much the same skate with different model numbers for different style feet (long, narrow, wide, etc). Grafs all generally cost the same; weight and height aren't as big an issue as your foot style. Find a place that sells Grafs and try on all of them and find the best feeling one. Grafs are a bit on the expensive side (I paid $350 for mine) but they were worth every penny for the foot pain that disappeared ever since I started using them.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:49 PM
BadHammy*

I've heard great things about the one95's if you can fit in them.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote