HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke MacArthur will not be suspended

Old
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
I definitely fall into the group that Mac could have done more to reduce the severity of this hit, but not much more. I wasn't that incensed when I first saw the hit and though I wouldn't have been upset if they give him a game or two, I don't think it would have been particularly deserved.

Remember the 2 game suspension Briere got for a routine trip of Leetch a few years ago? The only reason Jochen Hecht is still alive and playing hockey is because Darcy Tucker missed when he tried to take Jochen's head off with his stick. Afino's right, "wheel of justice."

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Digable5

One of my biggest complaints about the NHL is that punishment is based on results rather than action. Take for example the high sticking penalty. 4 minutes if they draw blood? WTF?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Making contact when looking at the other guys numbers was something we were taught never to do. *shrug* It's part of preventing this sort of situation, as much as someone protecting themselves.
I don't know how much he could have done about it. MacArthur was off-balance from missing the shoulder-to-shoulder battle he was aiming for, and Reddox cut in front of him and slowed down. Sure, he didn't have to put his arm out, but I think that was more of a "protect oneself" reaction than any kind of a hit, and I don't think it made any difference on the outcome of the play. Some part of MacArthur was going to rail Reddox into the boards, arm out or not.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Making contact when looking at the other guys numbers was something we were taught never to do. *shrug* It's part of preventing this sort of situation, as much as someone protecting themselves.
Same here.

I had a pretty tough policy about it as a coach as well. I would always sit players if they intentionally hit someone from behind, regardless if they were penalized on the play or not.

I just think the only one that could have avoided this play from happening was Reddox. I don't think Mac really could have done much to stop his momentum at that point. It was more of an accident than anything else.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:33 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Same here.

I had a pretty tough policy about as a coach myself. I would always sit players if they intentionally hit someone from behind, regardless if they were penalized on the play or not.

I just think that the only one that could have avoided this play from happening was Reddox. I don't think Mac really could have done much to stop his momentum a that point and that it was more of an accident than anything else.
It's a fair assessment of the play. The 5 and a game could have cost the Sabres a point in the standings. To me that was the right call at the time given the circumstances.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:37 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
One of my biggest complaints about the NHL is that punishment is based on results rather than action. Take for example the high sticking penalty. 4 minutes if they draw blood? WTF?
this is exactly the way I feel

BUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote