HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Penner put up 80 points this year?

Old
11-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
This is obviously picking daisies out of rainbows, but if he could somehow keep it up, he could very well be atleast be talked about for some Awards this year.

The Masterson
Quote:
Awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey
Just off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there are any runaway winners this year. ie. someone coming back from serious injury or successfully fighting cancer. I know he'd never WIN this, since it will probably go to an older player who had a bounce back year or something.

The Lady Byng
Quote:
Awarded to the player who exhibited outstanding sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability
As much as it drives us nuts, Penner is a gentleman on the ice, The Friendly Giant. There's obviously better choices, but if he can stay in the top 25 or so, he could be on the radar.

The Selke
Quote:
Awarded to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game
Plays the PK, +/- towards the top, if he could maintain it, again IF, he could be discussed.
---

Again, I'm saying IF he is able to perform at this level all year, he COULD be mentioned. So please no posts calling me crazy, because this is all under the context that he is a 85-95 point man, which most of us will be hoping for, but not expecting.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Can he?
Yes.

Will he?
The burden is on him to maintain his level of play.

He's been dangerous every game. He's going to the hard areas and wrecking havoc. He's got the stamina to rush the puck end to end and follow up with a strong effort in the offensive zone.

Crow has never been so delicious.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its a breakout year regardless of how many pts he gets. Right now he's getting massive minutes, he's worked onto the mega A list of the new coach, he's looked to as a go to guy on the team now that players are looking to find with a pass.

Great job by Penner. Smart guy and has totally grabbed the bull by the horns at the right time.

But where some of it balances out is Penner as the season will recieve, if teams want to beat us, much closer marking. One of Penners problems on this club is the likely lack of supporting scoring. This is a club that struggles to have 2 lines going at anytime. We simply don't have premium offensive depth. The problem with that is its really easier for an opponent to only have to match one line carefully and throw some shutdown on it or match toplines(in both cases I don't like our chances matching up favorably)

Next, as I mentioned Penner has already expended a huge amount of effort getting to where he has this quickly.

The last 10 games is kind of revealing and Penner is 4G 4A in that stretch which is very good for him but in that total one of the goals was largely incidental on the Staios shot, Penner never touched the puck with any part of the anatomy expected to produce a goal, while 2 other assists against Detroit were where he was awarded an assist for banging a puck the goalie saves and then somebody else finishes. Detroit for instance was playing horrible at that time and its uncharacteristic that any NHL team is going to allow an opponent to bang away 4 times with 2-3 players till the puck goes in.

So the problem for Penner is 3 out of his past 8 pts are pretty inadvertent and a bit of fortune.

Again Penner is playing well and good players create their own luck but we'll see.

Personally I see his pace being around 7pts/10 games on average the rest of the way. 60-65pts imo.

ps people say alot about the flu creating havoc the last 10 games but don't forget to factor in that coaching changes almost always bring an initial wave of hardwork and enthusiasm from the team and from players trying to sort through the pecking order. The trouble for the Oilers is that the depth is really so abysmal that all the players have already established their bit of turf. Unless your name is Nilsson or Moreau and you're just as likely gone.
I would say really that Pouliot is the only one that would try to earn a position but really what are the chances of that?

Unfortunately at 19 games in we're past the initial new coach wave. We're headed into what the team will now look like. Right now its looking like doldrums and flu is really a poor excuse this week.
When Pat Quinn takes over as head coach, teams GF go way up. Look it up.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:49 AM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Unfortunately at 19 games in we're past the initial new coach wave. We're headed into what the team will now look like. Right now its looking like doldrums and flu is really a poor excuse this week.
I see this differently. To me, it's kind of like the first 19 games this season is what happens when you're going through a kitchen remodel. You first have to go through the demolition. Everything in the kitchen gets ripped out and torn apart and its a huge pain in the ass. The dust and muck get carried into every single part of your house. You can't use the kitchen to even make toast. The kitchen is a disaster zone, you can't use it, everything sucks and you wish you never bought this piece of schit house. But you keep pecking away at it and eventually, you start to see where this project might turn out well afterall.

Due to Oiler injuries and illness, I think the demolition process has taken a lot longer than was ever intended. I'm not even sure all of the destruction phase is over. But, I don't think it will be long before phase 2, the clean up process, begins...where all the stupid little things players are doing will get cleaned up and they'll stop beating themselves. I think we're still a few games away from that, but I believe it's going to happen soon.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:59 PM
One Trick Pony*

I can see 70 Points, but 80's a stretch.

You have to remember,this isn't a player who's scoring goals with a hot hand, he's scored the majority of his goals right in front of the net.

Much easier to sustain that kind of production.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote