HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New York Rangers All-Decade Team: The Worst of the Worst

View Poll Results: Who are the two biggest failures of a goalie for the Rangers this decade?
Kirk McLean 19 14.62%
Guy Hebert 35 26.92%
Dan Blackburn 15 11.54%
Jussi Markkanen 9 6.92%
Steve Valiquette 1 0.77%
Kevin Weekes 30 23.08%
Mike Dunham 70 53.85%
Jason Labarbera 29 22.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2009, 02:18 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
New York Rangers All-Decade Team: The Worst of the Worst

Because who wants to debate between Lindros and Drury when we can debate between P.J. Stock and Mike Eastwood?

Pick the 2 goalies you think just deserve a big . Use whatever criteria you want. There are no wrong answers here.
I'm setting the minimum requirement for goalies to 5 games played with the franchise this decade. I'm also eliminating Lundqvist and Richter from this because it would just be stupid to have them compete with such fierce competition.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:53 PM
ThirdEye

Why is Blackburn on there?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yeah thats weak...and he has votes

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Dunham will always be remembered for his suckiness as a Ranger going 35-47-11. Also being the bridge between Richter & Lundqvist as well as the last goalie of the 7 year drought.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Captain Monglobster

When I hear the name Mike Dunham I start having Vietnam flashbacks.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:22 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I put him on there for the same reason Vitali Yeremeyev is on the poll for "best Rangers goalie." For technicality's sake. I refrained from putting Lundqvist and Richter because I wanted to eliminate all of the stupid and sarcastic "Richter is absolutely horrible" crap that would have been inevitable.

Old
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I put him on there for the same reason Vitali Yeremeyev is on the poll for "best Rangers goalie." For technicality's sake. I refrained from putting Lundqvist and Richter because I wanted to eliminate all of the stupid and sarcastic "Richter is absolutely horrible" crap that would have been inevitable.
How could anyone vote Blackie as a disappointment? This is based on performance, no?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:00 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
How could anyone vote Blackie as a disappointment? This is based on performance, no?
Combination of performance, expectations, etc.

In my opinion Blackburn is the least worthy candidate on this list, believe me. I don't know why he has votes either.

Old
11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I have to go with Labarbera. I mean, Dunham had a brutal team in fron of him and was fantastic his first year with us. While he had leg pads of rubber at least he was an ok starting goaltender for a few years.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Osminator

LaBarbera played a GRAND TOTAL of 5 (FIVE!!!) games for the NYR, on top of that, he was only playing in 208 minutes of the 300 possible in those 5 games... He shouldnt even be on the list... weak!

I'm not even going to comment as to why Blackburn is on that list...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:36 AM
rickyrod

I can't believe some of you voted for the Juice as one of the worst. He was a good backup and a good team guy.

LaBarbera isn't the worst, but he's definitely the most disappointing of the bunch. AHL MVP who leaked beach balls in the NHL. Dunham was really a head scratcher though. He made all of those fantastic saves, and probably had the save of the season before the lockout against... it was against the Isles... was it Trent Hunter? But he could never keep his arms tight to his body and let all of those horrible goals trickle in, like that dreadful buzzer beater on Mike Richter night.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
LaBarbera played a GRAND TOTAL of 5 (FIVE!!!) games for the NYR, on top of that, he was only playing in 208 minutes of the 300 possible in those 5 games... He shouldnt even be on the list... weak!

I'm not even going to comment as to why Blackburn is on that list...
Hes the most dissapointing BECAUSE he only played 5 games. Guy tore up the minors and did nothing with his opportunities in Pro.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:01 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Hes the most dissapointing BECAUSE he only played 5 games. Guy tore up the minors and did nothing with his opportunities in Pro.
The second game after Leetch was traded was against Pittsburgh at MSG, and as stupid as it may sound it was one of my favorite games I've ever attended. Labarbera was in net and was absolutely brutal, and we had all of our AHL scrubs in the game. He let in 7 goals I believe. The game featured loud chants of "Fire Sather," "Go Leafs Go," and "Let's go Wolfpack." Tom Poti also scored a goal and when the PA announced it he received nothing but boo's.

Gotta love Ranger fans.

Old
11-14-2009, 04:06 PM
JerseyRangers

I only regret that I could vote for two because almost everyone on that list with the exception of Blackburn deserves serious consideration. Can't wait until we get to the list of d-men. With choices like Krappa, Pile-driver, and Urianov we could probably put together the NY Rangers All Time Awful d-man list. I still shudder when I type those names and hope that somewhere each of those piles of dung are suffering for the agony they caused us Ranger fans.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:17 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
I only regret that I could vote for two because almost everyone on that list with the exception of Blackburn deserves serious consideration. Can't wait until we get to the list of d-men. With choices like Krappa, Pile-driver, and Urianov we could probably put together the NY Rangers All Time Awful d-man list. I still shudder when I type those names and hope that somewhere each of those piles of dung are suffering for the agony they caused us Ranger fans.
Oh believe me, I can't wait either. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do them because there are probably more than 15 worthy options.

Old
11-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Because who wants to debate between Lindros and Drury when we can debate between P.J. Stock and Mike Eastwood?

Pick the 2 goalies you think just deserve a big . Use whatever criteria you want. There are no wrong answers here.
I'm setting the minimum requirement for goalies to 5 games played with the franchise this decade. I'm also eliminating Lundqvist and Richter from this because it would just be stupid to have them compete with such fierce competition.
PJ Stock was a fan favorite. He was an excellent 4th liner. Eastwood was a steady, solid 4th line center. I liked him. Two bad examples.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 05:09 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
PJ Stock was a fan favorite. He was an excellent 4th liner. Eastwood was a steady, solid 4th line center. I liked him. Two bad examples.
They are what they are. I don't necessarily think they are the 2 worst players in Rangers history, but how many centers do you really think were worse than they were this decade? A handful, maybe.

Would you have felt better if I put Rumun Ndur vs. Jason Doig?

Old
11-14-2009, 09:24 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Dunham seemed to have this uncanny ability to put rebounds right onto the tape of an opposing player's stick. I've never seen anything quite like it before or since. I wish I could vote for him twice.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Dunham seemed to have this uncanny ability to put rebounds right onto the tape of an opposing player's stick. I've never seen anything quite like it before or since. I wish I could vote for him twice.
Glad im not the only one who remembered Dunham's rubber pads. I remember a shot bounced off one on the PP and cleared the zone all the way down the ice, I was laughing my ass off.

Old
11-15-2009, 11:22 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Seriously....

even more...why isn't Montoya there?

Blackburn gets a list and Montoya doesn't?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
blue425

Quote:
Quote:
Have to agree here, not bashing the poll. Kid came in at 18, performed amazingly on a ****** team. It is a shame what happened to him...but if he stays healthy we probably never get Hank.

Probably.

Damn early part of this decade was terrible in retrospect.

Oh Dunham hands down.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Dunham was only on the team for three seasons, one a very abbreviated season, and he had one EXCELLENT season with the team. I'm not quite sure how people forget that. So, playing two full years on the team, one being excellent and the other being below average makes him one of the worst goaltenders in Rangers history? Or at least the past decade?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The problem is the word "failure." How are you defining that word? Biggest disappointment was Blackburn — but not for anything he did on the ice or performance wise.

Hebert was terrible but he was a garbage time, mop-up guy. Not sure how what he did could be construed as failure.

11-15-2009, 02:02 PM
GarretJoseph

A few players don't deserve to be on this poll. Blackburn needs to be taken off, thats pathetic that you put him on here. How about I chop your hand off and put you on the worst typing Ranger fan on HFBoard for this decade?

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:09 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
A few players don't deserve to be on this poll. Blackburn needs to be taken off, thats pathetic that you put him on here. How about I chop your hand off and put you on the worst typing Ranger fan on HFBoard for this decade?
Do people not read?

He's there for technicality's sake. I don't think he was horrible. I OWN A DAN BLACKBURN JERSEY!

vipernsx, Al Montoya isn't on here because he didn't play 5 or more games with the Rangers. Again, do people read before they post?