HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Dissapointed in Duchene?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Matt Duchene's progress?
No, he's a bust 7 6.36%
Yes, he's progressing great 19 17.27%
Meh, let the kid learn at his own pace...it takes time 84 76.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
Tonight he was very impressive.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Yep, he was... and if it weren't for the luck of the bounce, he would have had the game winning goal in the third. He'll have his break out, and I'm still confident it'll be in this season.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I saw something that i didnt like tonight , we need to protect Duchene more .
I saw a lot of hits on him along the boards , in the corners ... an even an elbow for one of the chigago players , right in the middle of the ice .

I hope this is just a one game thing , if not, the coachs will have to correct the situation .
I'm slightly more concerned about how other teams are taking liberties with Anderson. They're discovering they can't beat him by playing fair, so they keep throwing checks at him, spearing him, interfering... that's what needs to stop. Our defensemen need to do more to clear out the crease of unwanted forwards.

Old
11-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Agreed...feel like he's almost snakebitten after tonight. Two nearly perfect shots off the post! Nonetheless, I loved his effort out there, especially the fact that he didn't let the big hits the Hawks kept giving him affect him in the slightest.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:19 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Agreed...feel like he's almost snakebitten after tonight. Two nearly perfect shots off the post! Nonetheless, I loved his effort out there, especially the fact that he didn't let the big hits the Hawks kept giving him affect him in the slightest.
I loved the play where he nearly caught up to Sharp on the breakaway, but he still bothered Sharp to make him only go backhand. Duchene started way further back and still almost caught up to him. Great speed.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
I'm slightly more concerned about how other teams are taking liberties with Anderson. They're discovering they can't beat him by playing fair, so they keep throwing checks at him, spearing him, interfering... that's what needs to stop. Our defensemen need to do more to clear out the crease of unwanted forwards.
that's hockey 101 , if you can't beat a goalie , run right through. The same goes with other players , that's the problem in the NHL for years . If the guy have some skills , kill him

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
that's hockey 101 , if you can't beat a goalie , run right through. The same goes with other players , that's the problem in the NHL for years . If the guy have some skills , kill him
Of course, but when it's happening to the goalie, it's the responsibility of the defensemen to drop the hammer on the guys taking liberties. If they continue to just let it happen, never holding those guys accountable for the runs they're taking, then every other team in the league is going to take notice and follow suit... and this has obviously already started happening, as the runs on Anderson have been happening in each of the past five or six games.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Of course, but when it's happening to the goalie, it's the responsibility of the defensemen to drop the hammer on the guys taking liberties. If they continue to just let it happen, never holding those guys accountable for the runs they're taking, then every other team in the league is going to take notice and follow suit... and this has obviously already started happening, as the runs on Anderson have been happening in each of the past five or six games.
I think the main problem with this situation, is the new instigator rule. Players are scare to receve a penality . That said , if i was playing or coaching and one of my players was getting run over , I would think ******* the penality and i'll make sure that players from the other teams would stop the intimidation . Not all penalities are bad , there are good penalities to take .

Old
11-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Put me on board with the crew that thinks having Svatos and Tucker flanking Duchene completely neuters the latter's effectiveness.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Put me on board with the crew that thinks having Svatos and Tucker flanking Duchene completely neuters the latter's effectiveness.
you,re not suppose to take side , you're a mod

Old
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I think Svatos has been quite good this year. I dont get all the hate. His defensive play is vastly improved. Sure, he may not bang guys in the corners, but i dont want him too anyways...not with his history of shoulder problems.

I do agree that Duchene needs better wingers than Tucker and Svatos though. Someone with some size...i really like McLeod on one wing.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Duchene's lack of scoring makes me not want to be an Avs fan anymore.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:41 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Someone previously mentioned putting Duchene with Galiardi (once he's back) and Jones. That is one fast, talented, defensively-resposnbile line, with 2 sizeable wingers on either side of Duchene. All 3 of those guys are still working on the scoring touch, but that could become a dynamite combo if those guys had any chemistry. Darcy Tucker and Marek Svatos aren't going to do anything for Duchene other than stunt his development. Get some complete players who actually give a damn out there.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Someone previously mentioned putting Duchene with Galiardi (once he's back) and Jones. That is one fast, talented, defensively-resposnbile line, with 2 sizeable wingers on either side of Duchene. All 3 of those guys are still working on the scoring touch, but that could become a dynamite combo if those guys had any chemistry. Darcy Tucker and Marek Svatos aren't going to do anything for Duchene other than stunt his development. Get some complete players who actually give a damn out there.
The problem there is that it would screw with the chemistry of O'Reilly's line, and we don't want that either... we've got a good third line that makes a difference in many games. O'Reilly's line has been a significant factor in the Avs success so far this season, and I don't think we want to mess that up to kick start Duchene.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:28 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I hate to beat off a dead horse, but how about Wolski with Duchene? A big frame who can get in on the forecheck and cause turnovers (when he wants). And has the hands to score by taking the puck to the net or from around the slot (when he wants). In theory it would complement Duchene's speed.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:35 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
The problem there is that it would screw with the chemistry of O'Reilly's line, and we don't want that either... we've got a good third line that makes a difference in many games. O'Reilly's line has been a significant factor in the Avs success so far this season, and I don't think we want to mess that up to kick start Duchene.
you make a great point.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:37 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I hate to beat off a dead horse, but how about Wolski with Duchene? A big frame who can get in on the forecheck and cause turnovers (when he wants). And has the hands to score by taking the puck to the net or from around the slot (when he wants). In theory it would complement Duchene's speed.
Then the concern there is who goes with the Duke and Staz. Keep Svatos and Tucker away from the first line at all costs.

Old
11-13-2009, 03:12 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Let's put Duchene on a line with Koci and Durno. They can park their bodies in at the side of the net; that way, when Duchene's wrist shot goes whistling a foot wide, it'll bounce off them and go in.

Colorado doesn't have the personnel to work with Duchene right now. Maybe at some point a Stoa or Haydar will get called up and viola.

Until then, I'm just waiting for him to get better on his own. At some point this season he'll get in a groove and it won't matter who he's playing with.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:34 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
I think when the Duke is ready, you leave Jones on the top line and play Duke with Duchene.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I think when the Duke is ready, you leave Jones on the top line and play Duke with Duchene.
Regardless, when Hejduk comes back, I think Jones has earned a spot on the top-2 lines one way or another, thus Svatos or Tucker logically needs to find work on another line.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:18 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Regardless, when Hejduk comes back, I think Jones has earned a spot on the top-2 lines one way or another, thus Svatos or Tucker logically needs to find work on another team.
fixed!

Old
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Tucker-O'Reilly-McLeod would make a very good 3rd line. Stewart and Svatos with Hendricks on the 4th.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I have to say, I've never heard the expression beat off a dead horse. Kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Then the concern there is who goes with the Duke and Staz. Keep Svatos and Tucker away from the first line at all costs.
I don't think it really matters who plays with Hejduk and Stazz.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote