HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Brunnstrom available?

Old
11-13-2009, 02:11 PM
SteveV*

vCash: 500
I thought he looked like the Star's best forward, the game the Leafs played him.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
There are Dallas fans who have compared him to Loui Eriksson and how he looked just before he got his offence going a few years ago. So I would not say he defenitly do not have first line potential. I mean, we are hoping for Stalberg to turn out great but so far Brunnstrom have proved more then he have. Having them both would how ever be excellent. All they need is centre to play with. How high are Calgary on Backlund?

For me as a Swede a line of Stalberg - Backlund - Brunnstrom would be awesome
LOL!
Stålberg - Center - Brunnström!

Why not pick up "Peg Leg Pete" (Forsberg), as he is contemplating another comeback!?!

I can see Peter standing on his own blue line calling out BLUE 55!!! BLUE 55!!! Fabian and Viktor going long on the sides and Peter launching one hail Mary after the other! Four downs in 90 secds? Good shift management!

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I thought he looked like the Star's best forward, the game the Leafs played him.
That might tell you more about the Leaf's "D" than about Fabian as well...

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Kulemin > Brunnstrom

never understood how Brunnstrom got so hyped for being a solid 23 year old 2nd/3rd liner in the SEL.

At least with Gustavsson, we got ourselves a 23 year old who was an MVP-type player in the SEL, not a depth player.

Agreed, I don't understand the hype either. I remember listening to the FAN590 and even Bob McCowan gave Brunnstrom his 5 minutes of glory on Primetime Sports, although Bob sort of snickered at the idea that he was some special talent.

We potentially have enough players of his caliber or greater in Tlusty, Hanson, Stalberg, etc.. We need more quality forwards of the top 3 category, not more of the fringe top 6 variety.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:53 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

Overhyped by far.. No need for fabian

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:55 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Kulemin > Brunnstrom

never understood how Brunnstrom got so hyped for being a solid 23 year old 2nd/3rd liner in the SEL.

At least with Gustavsson, we got ourselves a 23 year old who was an MVP-type player in the SEL, not a depth player.
Seeing as I watched him play for Farjestad I understand where the hype came from. He was a young rookie you noticed when he was on the ice, and seeing as he was not drafted there is not strange he got some hype. Then of course some took the hype to far. But he have a very desirable skill set for a GM. He is pretty big, good skater, soft hands, defensive responsible and he can score goals. It was this combination of skills and him being a late bloomer that made people compare him to Alfredsson, some compared him to a young Hossa. But of course that is exaggerations. But having a kid like this for free with that kind of potential upside will/should every GM take notice.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:05 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Didn't all the Star forwards play against the same defence?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:09 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Seeing as I watched him play for Farjestad I understand where the hype came from. He was a young rookie you noticed when he was on the ice, and seeing as he was not drafted there is not strange he got some hype. Then of course some took the hype to far. But he have a very desirable skill set for a GM. He is pretty big, good skater, soft hands, defensive responsible and he can score goals. It was this combination of skills and him being a late bloomer that made people compare him to Alfredsson, some compared him to a young Hossa. But of course that is exaggerations. But having a kid like this for free with that kind of potential upside will/should every GM take notice.
I don't want to say he's not a decent young player - because he is.

But correct me if I'm wrong - he was only a quality young depth player in Farjestad, no? He wasn't a star or anything, was he?

I mean I can understand when a kid like Kulemin or Gusto gets hyped, when they were amongst the best players in their leagues at a very young age - even if that hype turns out to be just hype.

But I never really understood it for Brunnstrom - he was a 2nd or 3rd liner in the SEL, wasn't he?

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Sarcasm tells us that you think the Leafs D is pretty good. That's nice to know.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:

But correct me if I'm wrong - he was only a quality young depth player in Farjestad, no? He wasn't a star or anything, was he?

But I never really understood it for Brunnstrom - he was a 2nd or 3rd liner in the SEL, wasn't he?
He was a rookie that almost everybody thought had first liner potential (given time), thats what he was. He is an overaged anomaly. He came in straight from the third tier and scored 37 points in 55 games, which is an absurd accomplishment at his age.

His big mistake was going over to North America a year too soon, he would have needed another year in the SEL to make him stronger mentally and physically, and maybe to get some national team experience too.

And no, he is not comparable to Kulemin. Kulemin is probably a bit stronger physically and a better checker while Brunnström has better goal scoring touch and hands.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:21 PM
zeke
#freewilly

well, Kulemin was MVP of the KHL at age 20.

Brunnstrom was a good 2nd liner in the SEL at age 22.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:23 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
I don't want to say he's not a decent young player - because he is.

I mean I can understand when a kid like Kulemin or Gusto gets hyped, when they were amongst the best players in their leagues at a very young age - even if that hype turns out to be just hype.

Yes he was. And he slowed down a lot at the end of the season to. Fatigue I guess. He was not THE star in Farjestad, not like Gus managed to be seeing as he only got better the more he played. But when Brunnstrom was hot, there was no stopping him. In other words, he showed a lot of potential and you noticed him when he was on. But he failed to be consistent and also had trouble keeping up at the end.
Now Brunnstrom is a late bloomer for one reason only and that is that he did not take hockey to serious to begin with. He had the skill set but not the knowledge of having it. He said in an interview he liked playing drums in his rock band more then playing hockey at one point when he was young. But some how he kept playing hockey, got noticed by Boras (Rogle first be he never stuck with them) and become a success for Boras at age 20(?) then Farjestad signed him and brought him up to the SEL (a two division jump) where he just took of when given a chance.

I still think he is a very good young player and if he can take the next step he could be a solid contributor on our 2nd line. So I am all for trading for him unless we give up picks or prospects seeing as I think his upside is worth it.

Old
11-13-2009, 05:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Stempniak for Brunnstrom would work for me.

Stemper has about 9 points in 16 games at almost 20 minutes per game.
Brunnstrom has 7 points in around 17 games at around 12 minutes per game.

Stempniak isn't a center so he isn't that important to the team, and he's UFA.

Leafs might have to add something.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Peace Frog

Finger for Brunnstrom. Finger deserves to get playing time as he is a quality defensive defenceman, imo. Sure, he's a little overpaid, but it seems as though Fabian is too. Dallas needs defencemen and perhaps we could use Brunnstrom.

Poni Grabs Brunnstrom

Moving Finger is something that seems likely, if there is a trade to be made. He would be solid for the Stars, and get the ice time he deserves. I think it might be a good fit for both teams. Whatever though, it's no biggie to me either way.

Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
Finger for Brunnstrom. Finger deserves to get playing time as he is a quality defensive defenceman, imo. Sure, he's a little overpaid, but it seems as though Fabian is too. Dallas needs defencemen and perhaps we could use Brunnstrom.

Poni Grabs Brunnstrom

Moving Finger is something that seems likely, if there is a trade to be made. He would be solid for the Stars, and get the ice time he deserves. I think it might be a good fit for both teams. Whatever though, it's no biggie to me either way.
Not really. Unless he hits his bonus numbers, he'll be making under a mil this year. And Skrastins already does a better job than Finger would do, for less money.

11-13-2009, 08:52 PM
LTL

Quote:
That´s not fair on him. Dont make it sound like he is a prima donna. He was a free agent who knew little about the NHL organizations. He was approached like all other free agents are only he got an invite to get a closer look at where he would end up living seeing he never played in the NHL before. When franchises have the chance to get talent for free they of course will try and show their organization in the best possible light.

I would not mind having him on our roster, think he could become a solid 2nd liner with perhaps flashes of being more then that. But I would not like giving up anything significent for him seeing as we had the chance of signing him for free only a few years ago.
Stalberg - centre - Brunnstrom, could be nice on the 2nd line.
It's the first time I've ever heard of such a request from any UFA. With todays coverage I'm positive we would have heard of a few others. Being wined and dined is one thing but that is way over the top IMO.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:56 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
It's the first time I've ever heard of such a request from any UFA. With todays coverage I'm positive we would have heard of a few others. Being wined and dined is one thing but that is way over the top IMO.
He did not request anything. He was invited. Dont you see the difference?

If a UFA is invited by several teams should he turn them down? Yes or No?

Old
11-13-2009, 09:08 PM
jomas

rumor: leafs trying to be fargestads bk karlstad?

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomas View Post
rumor: leafs trying to be farjestads bk karlstad?
FIFY

They could for sure learn a thing or two from them...