HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Now Higgins is a center"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
  #26
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Higgins as Center lasted all of 2 periods while he was a Hab. It didn't work out at all.
This is a band aid that needs to work marginally for a few weeks. If it doesn't, hopefully the diminutive Locke gets a good look.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
  #27
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Parenteau is so overrated it's not even funny. He's nothing special, play him on the third line

Lisin-Prospal-Gaborik
Avery-Higgins-Kotalik
Parenteau-Anisimov-Callahan
Brashear-Boyle-Voros
how is he overrated? I dont think anyone wanted him any higher than the 3rd line...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:20 PM
  #28
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Seems Slats had a talk with Torts about Higgins at center. On Monday night, Sather said Higgins could play center to fill void and buy time to see what happens with Drury and until Dubinsky returns. Torts kept Higgins on the wing for the Atlanta game.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:22 PM
  #29
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram
 
BKBlackRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richland, Wa
Country: Barbados
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
In terms of his defensive play Higgins was the only one on his line who backchecked hard, so I can see him at center. The biggest problem with our centers is winning faceoffs. We gotta win some damn faceoffs cause we lose too damn much and start behind the 8-ball.

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:45 PM
  #30
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,438
vCash: 500
Dubi and Dru can't get back soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
F.U.B.A.R would be very appropriate as well
Oh yeah.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:53 PM
  #31
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I like it. Specifically the 1st line. By like it, I mean as much as a mammal could like a set of lines where Voros has to be included.
Don't insult reptiles, amphibians, birds, plants, and insects like that. No living thing should be inclusive in such a statement.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:32 PM
  #32
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Higgins as Center lasted all of 2 periods while he was a Hab. It didn't work out at all.
This decision has a lot more to do with Boyle stinking it up as 3rd Line C last night, taking 2 costly penalties and winning only 2 of 8 faceoffs, than it has to do with Higgins.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:49 PM
  #33
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Just call up Grachev to play the third line. I don't think he'd have anything to lose, but AHL play.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
  #34
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
In terms of his defensive play Higgins was the only one on his line who backchecked hard, so I can see him at center. The biggest problem with our centers is winning. We gotta win some damn faceoffs cause we lose too damn much and start behind the 8-ball.

Should of kept Betts. He'd come in handy at this point with faceoffs.

This is stupid to bring it up because this isn't impressive offensive... Obviously... But Boyle has only produced one more goal than Betts so far this season and in 11 more games , and Tortorella is giving the 4th line the same amount of minutes as Renney did, I think.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
  #35
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
I don't like this idea at all.

Higgins is a grinder. Grinders don't make good centers (see: Drury).

This is going to be a long season

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:54 PM
  #36
ManicSubsidal15
Registered User
 
ManicSubsidal15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Should of kept Betts. He'd come in handy at this point with faceoffs.

This is stupid to bring it up because this isn't impressive offensive... Obviously... But Boyle has only produced one more goal than Betts so far this season and in 11 more games , and Tortorella is giving the 4th line the same amount of minutes as Renney did, I think.
Blair Betts scored a PPG in the last game for the Flyers.....if only Tom Renney saw the offensive flair in Blair

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:47 AM
  #37
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Has Higgins played center? If not, why move him rather than Avery--who has played center?
Because then Avery would have to talk to someone and Tort's won't allow that!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:52 AM
  #38
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
Blair Betts scored a PPG in the last game for the Flyers.....if only Tom Renney saw the offensive flair in Blair
he saw it. it was just "dormant"

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:54 AM
  #39
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Does it matter who plays center at this point? Put Brashear in. Seriously, till we get Dru and Duby back it really doesn't mattter who's taking faceoffs. And as for covering the slot,... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:08 AM
  #40
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
how is he overrated? I dont think anyone wanted him any higher than the 3rd line...
He's overrated because some actually think he can be a legit NHL'er. He's overrated b/c Torts would rather bring him up rather than Grachev.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:38 AM
  #41
redfzn
#94
 
redfzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 500
when higgins fails, hopefully he gives aves a look at C.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:11 PM
  #42
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I don't like this idea at all.

Higgins is a grinder. Grinders don't make good centers (see: Drury).

This is going to be a long season
I don't understand your reasoning at all. Grinders usually make great centers, especially on the 3rd line. They're two way players.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:12 PM
  #43
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
If the Higgins at Center experiment is going to continue we have to let someone else take the face-offs. Then let Higgins play the rest of the shift at Center. Like we did with Straka taking the face-offs for Nylander then sliding to wing for the rest of the shift. Higgins was brutalized in the face off circle today. Not sure what the exact numbers were but I imagine it was pretty bad.

On a positive note, Artem looked really strong in the face off circle today.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:24 PM
  #44
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
He's overrated because some actually think he can be a legit NHL'er. He's overrated b/c Torts would rather bring him up rather than Grachev.
The latter of your argument makes little sense to me. For one, I'm sure Grachev still being in Hartford has a lot more to it than Torts just not wanting him up; if the organization doesn't feel he's ready, he's not gonna get rushed into the NHL. I think he's going to follow a similar path that Anisimov did.

PAP probably can be a "legit" NHL'er. Guys that he gets grouped with like Jason Krog; they all had their chances. PAP has had less than 20 games in the NHL if i'm not mistaken.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:28 PM
  #45
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,393
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Higgins looked meh in the first, ok in the second, and GREAT in the third and OT. He looked like a whole different player. Keep him at center.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:28 PM
  #46
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The latter of your argument makes little sense to me. For one, I'm sure Grachev still being in Hartford has a lot more to it than Torts just not wanting him up; if the organization doesn't feel he's ready, he's not gonna get rushed into the NHL. I think he's going to follow a similar path that Anisimov did.

PAP probably can be a "legit" NHL'er. Guys that he gets grouped with like Jason Krog; they all had their chances. PAP has had less than 20 games in the NHL if i'm not mistaken.
Grachev over PAP any day of the week. Ready or not, he has talent PAP wished he had.

If PAP isn't scoring he isn't doing much else. I don't think he will ever be a consistent scorer at the NHL level.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:30 PM
  #47
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
He's overrated because some actually think he can be a legit NHL'er. He's overrated b/c Torts would rather bring him up rather than Grachev.
How often have you watched Hartford? It is obviously very little or none at all because Grachev hasnt looked ready. He needs time to develop and rushing him into the NHL will do nothing except ruin his confidence. Therefore Parenteau was called up because he has done everything the organization has asked of him and continually puts up points in the AHL. He looked pretty good today, Torts even said so.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
  #48
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Grachev over PAP any day of the week. Ready or not, he has talent PAP wished he had.

If PAP isn't scoring he isn't doing much else. I don't think he will ever be a consistent scorer at the NHL level.
In the long run, of course. Right now Grachev isnt ready, he has been far from dominating the AHL.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:38 PM
  #49
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
How often have you watched Hartford? It is obviously very little or none at all because Grachev hasnt looked ready. He needs time to develop and rushing him into the NHL will do nothing except ruin his confidence. Therefore Parenteau was called up because he has done everything the organization has asked of him and continually puts up points in the AHL. He looked pretty good today, Torts even said so.
I go to Hartford games, do you?

This isn't as if he's going to be rushed into the league and stay here. It's only until Drury and Dubinsky are ready. I think it would do wonders for Grachev to get in a couple NHL games here and there.

My arguement isn't about why Grachev hasn't been called up, it's about the fact that people need to simmer down on Paranteau. He isn't going to be anything special b/c he doesn't score consistently. When he's not scoring he's not doing much of anything else.

There are plenty of players who put up points in the AHL. Some of them keep putting them points up till the end of their careers, all in the AHL.

A player that comes to mind is Gernander. Another player is Labarbera. He put up records in the ahl. That's all I ever saw him as-- an bonafide ahl goalie. Not an individual who'll stick in the NHL....or if he does he'll get periphery assignments.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:39 PM
  #50
Macs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Higgins played some center in Montreal, I could be wrong though.
Higgins was terrible at center.

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.