HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Fixing minor blade chips/stress cracks

Old
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
wearethegreek

vCash: 500
Fixing minor blade chips/stress cracks

I find that using mighty putty, the stuff Billy Mays was hawking that's green and white clay that when molded can fit into cracks and bond broken things and become rock solid, I can bring a blade with a crack down the small edge back to life and even fill in some chips.

The trick is to make it pliable then fill in whatever you have to and either shave it down with an exacto knife or wait for it to dry and harden and then sand it down.

Either way the stuff is really strong and can even make your blade a little stiffer than it was before.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
you must not spend any money on skates hahaha

I would just buy new blades or holders, and what is that stuff going to do on the sharpening stone?

YIKES!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:32 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
you must not spend any money on skates hahaha

I would just buy new blades or holders, and what is that stuff going to do on the sharpening stone?

YIKES!
Think hes referring to a hockey stick blade....

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

I'm pretty certain he is.

Mighty putty is pretty much just normal epoxy, and isn't particularly high quality stuff. It's in a putty form, which makes it easy to use as a filler. Not really too exciting.

I've used wood glue to great success. Once the internal structure goes, you're done, but it works great for exterior cracks and keeping chips from spreading.

And are you talking wood or composite blades? I use composites, but different things will bond to different blades differently.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Think hes referring to a hockey stick blade....
Te,He, hahahaha

Uhh Nevermind, to much cough medicine I guess.

Epoxy is what I use I just use the liquid and sand it.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

I leave the pot marks and chips as is .... it gives the blade character.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:51 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I leave the pot marks and chips as is .... it gives the blade character.
Im the same.

I just ride it till it blows.

EDIT: ^^thats sounds really bad ^^

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:55 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

For wood blades or those with a lot of money, that's fine. For those of us who buy pricey tapered composites, not so much. You want to make those suckers last.

Old
11-12-2009, 04:30 PM
AIREAYE

I noticed you dont have your Canes flag anymore cptjeff, lol Im a Cnaes fan myself and everyone knows why hopefully Justin Peters can now overtake both Legace and Leighton

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Peters is going to be staying down, down down. They don't want to bring him within miles of this disaster.

Yeah, I need to remake my current one so it's a little more clear as a magic 8 ball theme.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
For wood blades or those with a lot of money, that's fine. For those of us who buy pricey tapered composites, not so much. You want to make those suckers last.
I use two tapered Harrow shafts ($100 each) with replacement blades... the 2 piece system works for me and one of these reasons would be when the blade cracks or breaks. The harrow blades I use are $35 - $40 and as good as anything else out there.

I don't have to worry about repair jobs to strengthen a $220 stick in fear it will break or not last as long. I could never justify buying a $200 stick ever for a sport that virtually gurantees stick damage no matter what you use.

So far I have broken just one blade this year on a knucklepuck wobbler onetimer off the toe.

I seriously do not have broken blade issues and when chips come off or pot marks from blocking a slapshot I just leave them there. I have some skate blade gouges too here and there as I am a defensive forward and stick checking and whacking skates and getting dirty happen often.

I haven't had any issues with broken sticks and I abuse them more than most people.

Chips in the shaft are also left as is, not really sure how filling in chips helps make something composite last longer .... maybe i am missing something. if I am please explain.

If I get a blade that gets a crack I put on a new blade. They are cheap enough at this point in time and last a mega long time to begin with.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:39 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Yeah- $30-40 for a tapered blade is quite good. I usually wind up paying $60 for eastons, and I'm a poor college student without too much to spend on gear.

I'm set on sticks right now, got a Vapor 40 for $100- yay prostock, and two synergy two piece setups, and have an extra blade in the closet- but I'll need to remember those next time I'm looking for a blade.

As for how it makes the blade last longer, chips weaken the area, lead to cracks internally, leading to broken blades. Composites break when there is a fracture and force is applied to it. It widens and suddenly turns into a crack or a flat out break. If you catch them early, you can create a patch that will bear the load that would otherwise pull the composite apart. If your blade is chipped at the toe, don't worry about it. But if you have a chip or a small crack on the bottom of the blade, especially near the heel, if you don't do something about that the blade will die soon after.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Haha, I love the Mighty Putty commercial. Never thought about using it for sticks. Good idea. I usually just try to keep my tape fresh. I tape the entire blade, even the toe.

Question: Is there any type of product out there to repair cracks and chips in my boots? I took a hard shot off my toe and it did some damage to my skate.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Yeah- $30-40 for a tapered blade is quite good. I usually wind up paying $60 for eastons, and I'm a poor college student without too much to spend on gear.

I'm set on sticks right now, got a Vapor 40 for $100- yay prostock, and two synergy two piece setups, and have an extra blade in the closet- but I'll need to remember those next time I'm looking for a blade.

As for how it makes the blade last longer, chips weaken the area, lead to cracks internally, leading to broken blades. Composites break when there is a fracture and force is applied to it. It widens and suddenly turns into a crack or a flat out break. If you catch them early, you can create a patch that will bear the load that would otherwise pull the composite apart. If your blade is chipped at the toe, don't worry about it. But if you have a chip or a small crack on the bottom of the blade, especially near the heel, if you don't do something about that the blade will die soon after.

Cool ... I like 2 piece setups too. I've never tried a one piece honestly and I have been eyeballing the Bauer Supreme One95 stick. The store here has the higher than normal flex one for tall guys and they have extra length to boot than the other One95s.

I might try one when I have the extra cash.

I didn't realize chips in the blade could lead to breakage but it obviously makes sense especially if a crack on the bottom near the heel.

It hasn't happened to me yet though ... my oldest blade is a prostock RBK IG17 pattern which is the Iginla apparently. It is pretty beat up and still shoots great but I expect it will break soon.

Thanks for the info I will keep it in mind should i see some imperfections where I do not want any.

Then again I am the type who may just replace the blade as a confidence thing, worrying about the blade breaking is more work than just buying a new one for me.

maybe i am just kooky!