HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The what the hell was that post game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
dj4aces

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I did not see the game but if 2 out of the first 3 goals by Quick were bad goals, this game falls predominantly on Quick's shoulders.
As an Atlanta fan, I come in peace.

Quick gave up one bad goal, and that was the one Bogosian scored. After that, Quick was pulled.

Other goals were scored by Evander Kane (a wraparound) and a beautiful Kovalchuk breakaway. Quick could have got lucky if he stopped Kane, but there was a lot of traffic in front of the net. However, he had no chance against Kovalchuk.

I would have thought the line brawl that took place, along with the ensuing power play, would have shifted momentum a bit in your favor.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

i didnt watch the game and they lose i watched the carolina they win!

do i really need to start watching again????

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

The game against Tampa Bay will be shown on their network via NHLCenterIce. The Florida game is back on the Kings network.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
markisonfire

This game was not nearly as bad as everyone has made it out to be. First two goals on Quick were not his fault. That third goal, to me it looked like he was screened a little bit by his own defender and was frozen, Bogo let go a quick snapshot and Jonny Q didn't even know what hit him. Should he have stopped it? Yes, but oh well. The Kings outplayed the Thrashers in the first and second periods. They lost steam in the third, but then again, they were down by 5 or 6 goals at that point.

Atlanta had so many breakaways, it was ridiculous. When you give Kovalchuk, Afinogenov, etc, easily looks, they are probably going to score. Kings had plenty of good chances. If they convert on one or two of those chances before the game got out of hand, this would have been a completely different game.

I think Quick was pulled more to change momentum than anything. When that didn't work, the game was already out of hand. End of story. Go get Tampa Bay tomorrow.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:40 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Sorry for the delay on the write-up. Life and all getting in the way.

Grab a beer (or a2nd, 5th or 10th), and take a read at http://lakingsnews.com

Quote:
The Atlanta Thrashers’ have a unique home advantage only a few teams in the NHL get to utilize. Energy and emotion are huge factors in a hockey game. The fact that the Thrashers’ are able to get hyped up to play a vibrant game of hockey in an arena that has less people in the stands than there are voices in my head is an achievement worth noting.

Overall, the Kings were out-chancing the Thrashers’ by a wide margin. Atlanta goalie Ondrej Pavelec made some brilliant saves and seemed to have venomous snakes hiding in his pads. Only on HD TV’s could one see the little bite marks on all of the Kings’ sticks. Chance after chance turned into turnover after turnover.
Guess what, sometimes we are going to suck.

Thankfully we don't have to wait like 3 or 4 days to get some better Kings hockey in our system, because this game can easily send one hurtling through massive withdrawal symptoms. Shakes, chills, diarrhea, the whole shlameel.

Last edited by JDM: 11-13-2009 at 10:50 PM.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:48 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

Guess what, sometimes we are going to suck.
Good point JDM. We've been spoiled so far this season that when we finally play like crap we start to freak out even more! Hopefully the game against tampa will bring us back to normal...i hope

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Hollywood

I'd like to share my thoughts...Generally they usually generate a lot of hate and at the very least bricks tossed in my direction. Well here goes...
The result for this game in my opinion can be blamed from behind the bench and it all started even before the carolina game.
Let's face it, our team has been riding a great wave thus far. Our first line is on fire, Kopitar and Smyth mainly! They are unreal.
Quick has STARTED 17 of 18 games(prior to Carolina) and despite not having great individual stats, he has great W/L stats(just like the team) and over the course of the season has essentially gotten the job done(Don't get me wrong, I am not a Quick fan as I have been the one since last year stating he should be traded- perhaps I have good foresight) However, the team has a great record and we then lose a couple of games and then suddenly after starting 12 in a row and after 17 of 18 games....OUR COACH COMES OUT IN PUBLIC and states that win or lose Quick may not be going back in right away after the Caroline game!!!! Are you kidding me? We are dealing with a goaltender that hasn't even played a full season yet has started every game(minus 1 game) so far and suddenly he isn't back in the game after??? What are you into Murray???? Are you kidding me? You annointed him our starter!!!! Granted he decided to play him against but the seeds of doubt were planted and each player felt it.
Way to lose confidence in a team that is clicking!!!
Secondly, we need to change lines 1-4!!!!! I said it! Kopitar and Smyth are the only two offensive players that should stay together. Williams doesn't make the first line nor will he break the line if he comes off it, however, he will aid in creating SECONDARY SCORING!
You people can disagree with me all you want but the reason we are having difficulty with secondary 5 on 5 scoring stems from MURRAY placing our 2nd line centre (STOLL) since Day 1 on the 1st line PP sitting on the POINT. This in turn broke up Brown Stoll and Purcell and placed Stoll on the Pt of PP1 and Brown took Williams spot as Williams played pt on PP2(This was okay for one game but to go game after game after game with this essentially ruined our 2nd line and any chance of gaining confidence in a second attack. I HAVE STATED THIS SINCE DAY 1 and IT IS STILL AFFECTING US.
How was Purcell Stoll and Brown supposed to gain confidence in one in another if the opportunity they had to possess the puck together as a unit was taken away from them and forced to play with different players.
You cannot tell me leaving Line 1 as PP1 with associated D(and it doesn't matter if we have ONE defenceman that is defnece oriented as our PP works off the 1/2 boards)
Then come back with a line 2 or a line 3 as PP. This in itself ruined any ability of us generating a 2NDARY ATTACK as having our 2nd or 3rd line taking on 5-4's would have given them that much more familiarity withone another and given them that confidence when it was 5-5. No, we needed to screw up all the lines and the worst thing that could happen to our team was to have a PP as it took 3-5 minutes to get everyone back together going 5-5 and then all players 5-5 would be at differnet energy levels as they were all on different roles for the PP's.
Now we have a Young team with a good record with a great FIRST line and NO Secondary offensive Unit and now two goalies who do not know where they stand.
This is what we have going forward. Terry you have created these two massive issues. FIX THEM!!!

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:16 PM
SDGolfer

we lost ONE game.

SDGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:36 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgonz24 View Post
we lost ONE game.
From a big picture perspective, you're right on the money. 4 games over .500 during the toughest 2 months of our season schedule is something we'd have only been dreaming about before the season started.

Look at our schedule the last 2 months of the season. Teams would KILL for that favorable of a schedule down the stretch.

Most of us HOPED that the Kings would be fighting for the 8th playoff spot this year, and they're in excellent position to do just that. .500 on the road and take care of business at home = great chance at making the playoffs.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgonz24 View Post
we lost ONE game.
You mean we don't lose additional points for the extra suck?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:42 PM
no name

Drewiski was extra bad tonight. Ivanans got his ass beat. Ivanans even dropped his gloves and threw first and he still got *****. I really hate Randy Jones BTW. See my thread for the thoughts on him.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:57 PM
KingPuckChoo

Frolov
Johnson
Schenn
1st round pick

for

Kovalchuk signed 5 years/ 10million per

Last edited by KingPuckChoo: 11-14-2009 at 12:08 AM.
KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:58 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
You mean we don't lose additional points for the extra suck?
Not only that, but it's been what now.. 18 games between embarrassments?

It could be worse...

11/17/92: SJ 6 Kings 0
12/26/92: SJ 7 Kings 2
12/29/92: Philadelphia 10 Kings 2
01/14/93: NJ 7 Kings 1
01/23/93: Rangers 8 Kings 3
02/13/93: Capitals 10 Kings 3

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:02 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Not only that, but it's been what now.. 18 games between embarrassments?

It could be worse...

11/17/92: SJ 6 Kings 0
12/26/92: SJ 7 Kings 2
12/29/92: Philadelphia 10 Kings 2
01/14/93: NJ 7 Kings 1
01/23/93: Rangers 8 Kings 3
02/13/93: Capitals 10 Kings 3
LOL...I remember those....1/14/93-2/13/93: 7 GF, 25 GA in those 3 games!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Let's play "If I were Rich Hammond". If you were him and you interviewed Greene, Brown, Terry Murray and Ersberg, what would you ask and what would they answer.

I'll go first:

Hammond: "So coach, will you consider putting Scuderi in net for tomorrow's game?"
Murray: "...what?"

Hammond: "What is the funniest thing you took out of this game tonight?"
Greene: "Um. I don't know. Funniest? Fro's voice is pretty funny."

Hammond: "Are you going to throw any big hits this season?"
Brown: "**** you"

Hammond: "Who do you think was worse tonight, you or Quick?"
Ersberg: "..."

Old
11-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Let's play "If I were Rich Hammond". If you were him and you interviewed Greene, Brown, Terry Murray and Ersberg, what would you ask and what would they answer.

I'll go first:

Hammond: "So coach, will you consider putting Scuderi in net for tomorrow's game?"

"..."

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Awesome. I didn't think anybody would get that one.

Old
11-14-2009, 12:21 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

I'll go first:

Very funny. Particularly the Brown one.

I'll go....

Hammond: "You do know that they give you a timeout every game, not one every week?"
Murray: "Why would I call a timeout?"

Hammond: "During the line brawl, you didn't really fight, just kind of held the guy down and looked at Ivanans. Chicken?"
Greene: "Have you seen Raitis up close dude? I hate being on the ice with him because his face is so damn distracting."

Hammond: "Is there any way we can blame your wife for this loss?"
Brown: "Several, but I think Quick's wife had just as much to do with it."

Hammond: "Can you take away any positives from this game?"
Ersberg: "It's Quick's loss."

Old
11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Johnny Utah

Call up Bernier and Clune....I don't even know what to do with Harrold, Richardson, Ersberg.....Just get them off this team.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I just saw the essential parts of the game.

First, the Kings PP looks like their PK. A lot of players standing still. The feet aren't moving. The PK is about as passive of a box as it gets. The PP is a bunch of guys playing catch with the puck. Almost no movement. That is coaching and I have noticed this same problem in nearly every game this season that we have lost. The feet are still and if you look at the Kings system, how they set up along the boards, dots, slot and blue line, there is no deception, no misdirection, no players moving down and across. The PP relies almost entirely on cycling (not puck possession) and the PK is, again, a passive box.

Second, holy smoke was that third goal bad but those turnovers and breakaways were embarrassing. What the hell was Brown doing on that play where he coughed up the puck?

Old
11-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Johnny Utah

Is it me or when the game isn't going the Kings way they play the most predictable and boring hockey ever...?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:06 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Is it me or when the game isn't going the Kings way they play the most predictable and boring hockey ever...?
That is them trying to stick to the system. When they are winning they are playing the system and picking their spots to deviate. Usually those spots are the ones that result in goals.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:14 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Has Brown had single big hit this year?

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:18 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Yes.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
It's a trick question! This "year" includes part of last season.