HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The what the hell was that post game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-14-2009, 01:20 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Yes.
No...

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:24 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
No...
He laid out Brian Campbell two games ago...

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:25 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Very funny. Particularly the Brown one.

I'll go....

Hammond: "You do know that they give you a timeout every game, not one every week?"
Murray: "Why would I call a timeout?"

Hammond: "During the line brawl, you didn't really fight, just kind of held the guy down and looked at Ivanans. Chicken?"
Greene: "Have you seen Raitis up close dude? I hate being on the ice with him because his face is so damn distracting."

Hammond: "Is there any way we can blame your wife for this loss?"
Brown: "Several, but I think Quick's wife had just as much to do with it."

Hammond: "Can you take away any positives from this game?"
Ersberg: "It's Quick's loss."
I think it goes something like this.. Start pointing fingers one at a time and tell them,

Hammond: **** you!
Hammond: who's next?

watch at 55 sec...

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:26 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
He laid out Brian Campbell two games ago...
It was a good hit. He's had some good hits.

But none of the real Dustin Brown "no I didn't leave my feet" hits for which we grew to love him.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 2
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Welp, I guess I will stop sulking and attempting to forget the game and give my thoughts. That was just about the first time in a while I just couldn't finish watching the game. As soon as the 4th goal went in, I couldn't watch anymore. I listened but I knew the result. Usually I am optimistic till the end, but not today.

My thoughts:

Terry Murray needs to use a ****ing timeout. Seriously. Absolute no excuse. Yes, it is nice sometimes to have a coach that has an unwavering emotionless gaze and is always calm and collected, but people need to step the flying **** up and lead this team. Freakin' Scuderi had to do it the other day. That is not good. The #1 person that needs to keep the team collected and settle things down is the coach, and being a golem on the bench does jack **** for us. There should have been a timeout after the second goal, but it was mandatory after the third and Murray flat-out failed. You get one per game. USE IT! We need to make some stopwatch plushies with "Use your timeout!" written on the back of them and pelt him with them from that stands one of these games...

I don't fault Ersberg for anything tonight. Quick is almost in the same boat, but he really needs to step up, especially after being scored on twice in a row quickly... You have to make that save and keep us in the game. Though, I still support both these goaltenders firmly and seriously hope Bernier finishes his season in Manchester. No matter how tempting calling him up may be... Bernier would not have won us the game tonight, let the kid develop correctly.

The score in the end was irrelevant. All the Thrashers needed was one. The Kings did everything to score and just couldn't get one in. Just brutal all-around, but I am torn between being mad over the offense not getting the job done and putting out a decent effort.

It was just a humiliating loss all around, nothing went right, and it is time to move on quickly - for the fans, not the team. They need to severely reflect on what went wrong today after tomorrow's Lightning game, and I expect extreme improvement and positive changes.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:34 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I am starting to become wary of Jack Johnson. (I didnt watch the game so correct me if this is out of line). He's fine for being a #5 or #4, but when will he actually become an impact player? Maybe not in terms of value, but we have invested so much into Jack Johnson, and now he's pretty much shown nothing more than being an average defenseman. He isn't even the Kings 2nd most physical defenseman anymore!

It's time for Jack to make an impact. And I know some will call me a hater, and cite his time on ice, but really, Jack has always been the 2nd offensive guy after Doughty/Lubo. Where is it? Where is the offense?

And the fact is that Terry Murray is not at fault for this loss one bit. It's not his fault that we couldn't convert when we were carrying the play. Nor is it his fault that we gave up multiple breakaways. Nor indeed is it his fault that Quick and Ersberg combined have had difficulty making big saves.

Also, the "novelty" (for lack of a better term) is wearing off of Simmonds. He has played enough games in the NHL where he has to start playing on an equal footing with his linemates. On the same note, a 2-way veteran such as Handzus should never, ever, give up that turnover. WTF.

Oh the powerplay sucks (as usual it seems).

But we are still 11-9 people. That is definitely very good in my books. Now, I will grow concerned if we start to slide below .500. But I doubt that's happening!

But if you really are about to jump off the ledge after this loss, I only have this to say: do it. We don't need you.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Perhaps this is hypercritical but the wrong guy is wearing the C on this team.

Dustin Brown is not a leader, neither by example nor in the words I read spoken from his mouth.

Armies need more than a couple of good criminals. They need leaders. This team is better than last season but it is still missing a unifying force, a leader on and off the ice, the voice of the team, the face of the team, the one others associate the team with. It's not Dustin boys. Not yet.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:38 AM
RightKinger

**** game. Kings were dominating the Thrashers with some really good forecheck. Then Atlanta got two lucky breaks and Quick **** the bed on the third goal....I turned off my tv after that...

I don't think I have ever been more pissed off during a game before.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:42 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I am starting to become wary of Jack Johnson. (I didnt watch the game so correct me if this is out of line). He's fine for being a #5 or #4, but when will he actually become an impact player? Maybe not in terms of value, but we have invested so much into Jack Johnson, and now he's pretty much shown nothing more than being an average defenseman. He isn't even the Kings 2nd most physical defenseman anymore!

It's time for Jack to make an impact. And I know some will call me a hater, and cite his time on ice, but really, Jack has always been the 2nd offensive guy after Doughty/Lubo. Where is it? Where is the offense?
Jack is already leap years beyond being just a #5 or #4, and you seem to think a player can only make an impact on the scoresheet via points. Over the whole year so far, Jack's been our best defensive defenseman.

The offense is non-existent in Terry Murray's stand still, idle system he has his defenseman play.

Quote:
And the fact is that Terry Murray is not at fault for this loss one bit. It's not his fault that we couldn't convert when we were carrying the play. Nor is it his fault that we gave up multiple breakaways. Nor indeed is it his fault that Quick and Ersberg combined have had difficulty making big saves.
It is Terry Murray's system...but it is his fault, along with all the players as well.

Quote:
Also, the "novelty" (for lack of a better term) is wearing off of Simmonds. He has played enough games in the NHL where he has to start playing on an equal footing with his linemates. On the same note, a 2-way veteran such as Handzus should never, ever, give up that turnover. WTF.
Simmonds has been overrated by us fans since he suited up for the team. It's nothing new, it was Purcell, Boyle, etc. before him. I like him a lot for the future as a 3rd liner, but he has zero hockey sense.

Quote:
Our special teams suck but it's not the coaches?

Old
11-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

But we are still 11-9 people. That is definitely very good in my books. Now, I will grow concerned if we start to slide below .500. But I doubt that's happening!

But if you really are about to jump off the ledge after this loss, I only have this to say: do it. We don't need you.
Johnson has been very enigmatic. He is the Frolov of the defensive unit that is for sure. He has a bit of Joe Thornton in him too, except the regular season is his playoffs. You put Johnson in the preseason and he is a beast, you send him to some championship tournament or international play and he is a god, but if you put him in a Kings uniform during a regular season game... I am still hoping and putting my money on him turning it around and becoming that impact player though... We'll see.

As for Murray. No the play of the team wasn't his fault, but their demeanor and motivation was. He did absolutely nothing to change the momentum of this game. Murray didn't do everything in his power to win the hockey game tonight. That is why he is being criticized. He doesn't carry a large fraction of the blame, but he is not absolved from it either.

I agree with everything else you said except for the comments on Simmonds. I don't really think he did much to lose us this game. He didn't do much to win it, but I certainly wouldn't say he was playing beneath his linemates. Nobody is lower than Zeus is tonight after that game.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:44 AM
RightKinger

Quote:

The Kings have lost 3 of their last 4 and they beat a Hurricane team that would probably lose to the Monarchs right now. Not everything is perfect. The record/point total is still good but people have reason to be pissed/worried.

Jack Johnson is 22. Be patient.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:44 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Perhaps this is hypercritical but the wrong guy is wearing the C on this team.

Dustin Brown is not a leader, neither by example nor in the words I read spoken from his mouth.

Armies need more than a couple of good criminals. They need leaders. This team is better than last season but it is still missing a unifying force, a leader on and off the ice, the voice of the team, the face of the team, the one others associate the team with. It's not Dustin boys. Not yet.
In many ways, I strongly agree.

There are others that seem better suited to wear the C in some respects.

I think Dustin's problem lately has been that he A) Is getting away from his game (running mother ****ers over) and B) as a result is trying to take games over in the wrong way. Or maybe its the other way around. Hoc procter?

He looks like he desperately wants and thinks that he can just take over and score a goal. He can't, at least not regularly. Kopitar is the only true game breaker on the team, no one else really even comes close in that regard. Frolov has been known to and has the talent, but doesn't do it often enough to be a gamebreaker. But I digress.

Brown is trying to lead, he clearly is working hard at it on the ice. In order for him to be an effective leader, which I still think he can be very soon, he must get back to his essentials, the things that made him so beloved and Captain in the first place. He is supposed to be a leader mostly by example more than words, and his examples just aren't making the cut. A fast rush up the ice that results in a lost puck from a silly deke, or a shot that misses the net high and wide, are not going to spark the team.

Destroying someone will. Destroying everyone in his path will spark the team, and suddenly I think a real leader would emerge.

I fear he thinks that the C means that he needs win games for the Kings. He doesn't. He needs to strike fear in the opponent to move through the neutral zone and send shivers of emotion down the bench by putting down the enemy in spectacular, completely clean and legal fashion.

Talk about secondary scoring. Scoring should be secondary on Brown's mind. Play good defense and kill people, Dustin. The goals will come because everyone else will be on the ice crying or hobbling back to the bench.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:49 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Simmonds has been overrated by us fans since he suited up for the team. It's nothing new, it was Purcell, Boyle, etc. before him. I like him a lot for the future as a 3rd liner, but he has zero hockey sense.
Seriously? Are you seriously comparing Simmonds to Boyle and Purcell?

Ya that's why hes being matched up against the other teams top players every night...because he has zero hockey sense. Simmonds point totals look like they will improve drastically this season and he is doing a decent job of defending other teams top lines. I mean..what more can you ask for from a guy his age?

Old
11-14-2009, 01:50 AM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Jack is already leap years beyond being just a #5 or #4, and you seem to think a player can only make an impact on the scoresheet via points. Over the whole year so far, Jack's been our best defensive defenseman.

The offense is non-existent in Terry Murray's stand still, idle system he has his defenseman play.

It is Terry Murray's system...but it is his fault, along with all the players as well.

Our special teams suck but it's not the coaches?
I really want some justification about Jack being anything more than an average #4 defenseman. Honestly? What has he done other than play a lot? He has most certainly not been our best defenseman.

And Terry Murray's system... which has generated quite a few goals? If you ask me, the problem is lack of finish from guys (but that's not that big of a deal, finish comes as confidence comes)

How about this for idle offense - Kings are 2nd in the west for goals scored. Damn Terry Murray and his killing our offense!!!oneeone!!! (I dont care about Jack's statistics. He's not contributing offensively either way to a team that is already doing well enough offensively)

Terry Murray isn't perfect, but how many games have been lost because of failed powerplays? I would much rather have a strong ES team than PP team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Johnson has been very enigmatic. He is the Frolov of the defensive unit that is for sure. He has a bit of Joe Thornton in him too, except the regular season is his playoffs. You put Johnson in the preseason and he is a beast, you send him to some championship tournament or international play and he is a god, but if you put him in a Kings uniform during a regular season game... I am still hoping and putting my money on him turning it around and becoming that impact player though... We'll see.

As for Murray. No the play of the team wasn't his fault, but their demeanor and motivation was. He did absolutely nothing to change the momentum of this game. Murray didn't do everything in his power to win the hockey game tonight. That is why he is being criticized. He doesn't carry a large fraction of the blame, but he is not absolved from it either.
Most likely Johnson doesn't become anything special. I hate to say it, I had high hopes for him, but it's just the numbers game with prospects. Hopefully we move him before the rest of the league realizes that

You can talk about Murray's demeanor, but that has nothing to do with veterans like Handzus making egregious turnovers, or Quick being unable to make enough big saves. I don't want to criticize your post specifically, but people are talking about TM not doing all he can do to win, but did Quick? or Kopitar? or JMFJ? No one did enough to win, that's why we didn't win.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
In many ways, I strongly agree.

There are others that seem better suited to wear the C in some respects.

I think Dustin's problem lately has been that he A) Is getting away from his game (running mother ****ers over) and B) as a result is trying to take games over in the wrong way. Or maybe its the other way around. Hoc procter?

He looks like he desperately wants and thinks that he can just take over and score a goal. He can't, at least not regularly. Kopitar is the only true game breaker on the team, no one else really even comes close in that regard. Frolov has been known to and has the talent, but doesn't do it often enough to be a gamebreaker. But I digress.

Brown is trying to lead, he clearly is working hard at it on the ice. In order for him to be an effective leader, which I still think he can be very soon, he must get back to his essentials, the things that made him so beloved and Captain in the first place. He is supposed to be a leader mostly by example more than words, and his examples just aren't making the cut. A fast rush up the ice that results in a lost puck from a silly deke, or a shot that misses the net high and wide, are not going to spark the team.

Destroying someone will. Destroying everyone in his path will spark the team, and suddenly I think a real leader would emerge.

I fear he thinks that the C means that he needs win games for the Kings. He doesn't. He needs to strike fear in the opponent to move through the neutral zone and send shivers of emotion down the bench by putting down the enemy in spectacular, completely clean and legal fashion.

Talk about secondary scoring. Scoring should be secondary on Brown's mind. Play good defense and kill people, Dustin. The goals will come because everyone else will be on the ice crying or hobbling back to the bench.
You just described Scott Stevens.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:52 AM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
The Kings have lost 3 of their last 4 and they beat a Hurricane team that would probably lose to the Monarchs right now. Not everything is perfect. The record/point total is still good but people have reason to be pissed/worried.

Jack Johnson is 22. Be patient.
A win is a win (the Hurricanes came back from a 3-0 deficit to lose in overtime)

I don't think so. The Kings are playing a winning style, but as I have said before, if you do all that you can to win every night, it doesn't mean that you will actually win every night. if Evander Kane's wraparound bounces not into the net, than the Kings probably win the game!

Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You just described Scott Stevens.
Stevens ran through my head while I was typing that as well.

Brown should be watching tape of Stevens. He thinks he is Iginla.

Old
LAX attack*

and Dustin Brown is the least of our problems. We all know that Smyth and Kopitar are the true leader of this team

Old
11-14-2009, 01:54 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Seriously? Are you seriously comparing Simmonds to Boyle and Purcell?

Ya that's why hes being matched up against the other teams top players every night...because he has zero hockey sense. Simmonds point totals look like they will improve drastically this season and he is doing a decent job of defending other teams top lines. I mean..what more can you ask for from a guy his age?
No, I'm not, nor did I. I was pointing out the outrageous expectations we lump on these guys. See: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=696422

It was the same type of thing with Purcell. We could trade O'Sullivan because Purcell was ready for a top 6 role. Wrong. Quick's having a bad stretch, toss him in the garbage heap, it's time for Bernier. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:56 AM
LAX attack*

Quote:
No, I'm not, nor did I. I was pointing out the outrageous expectations we lump on these guys. See: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=696422

It was the same type of thing with Purcell. We could trade O'Sullivan because Purcell was ready for a top 6 role. Wrong. Quick's having a bad stretch, toss him in the garbage heap, it's time for Bernier. Etc. Etc. Etc.
It's not comparable at all. Simmonds is just tempering our expectations, we still love him as a 3rd liner. POS stopped being an NHL player by game 30 of the season last year, and yes, Purcell (considering his contract) is a much better value than POS.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

What have you done for me lately?
ooh ooh oooh yeah!

Old
11-14-2009, 01:57 AM
RightKinger

Brown is not a smart enough hockey player to pull off the fancy **** that he tries every game. The sooner someone makes him aware of this the better. He is at his best when he plays a simple straightforward game. The Brown of two years ago put people through walls, played good D, and scored goals because of his hard work. That was the Brown that was being compared to #28. I miss that Brown.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
You can talk about Murray's demeanor, but that has nothing to do with veterans like Handzus making egregious turnovers, or Quick being unable to make enough big saves. I don't want to criticize your post specifically, but people are talking about TM not doing all he can do to win, but did Quick? or Kopitar? or JMFJ? No one did enough to win, that's why we didn't win.
Murray needs to calm the team down, infuse motivation, and attempt to change the momentum of the game. He is only capable of one of those things, but it is amazing how enacting all three can have an effect on how well a team slows down the game and controls the puck properly.

Murray is the coach. He is responsible for everything. If the Kings reverse and lose every game he is fired, not Quick, not Kopitar, not JMFJ... It is one thing if a player is slacking off, but if the whole team is making mistakes, that is a leadership issue. Murray is #1 in line when it comes to leadership. Who else is going to do it? Brown isn't. Timeouts are critical. Murray obviously has an issue with using timeouts. Pausing the game, walking away for a moment, shaking yourself out of it, and calmly walking back to the controller is a very powerful tool. Even outside of that though, Murray did very little to stem the tide.

Old
11-14-2009, 02:02 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Murray needs to calm the team down, infuse motivation, and attempt to change the momentum of the game. He is only capable of one of those things, but it is amazing how enacting all three can have an effect on how well a team slows down the game and controls the puck properly.

Murray is the coach. He is responsible for everything. If the Kings reverse and lose every game he is fired, not Quick, not Kopitar, not JMFJ... It is one thing if a player is slacking off, but if the whole team is making mistakes, that is a leadership issue. Murray is #1 in line when it comes to leadership. Who else is going to do it? Brown isn't. Timeouts are critical. Murray obviously has an issue with using timeouts. Pausing the game, walking away for a moment, shaking yourself out of it, and calmly walking back to the controller is a very powerful tool. Even outside of that though, Murray did very little to stem the tide.
You take personal timeouts and pace around the room when the computer is frustrating you in NHL10, don't you?

Old
11-14-2009, 02:02 AM
LAX attack*

Quote:

Well that's true, but you are displacing the responsibility of making bad plays from the players to TM. If TM calls a timeout, Quick probably doesn't let that softie in, but in the same vein, just because TM doesn't call a timeout, doesn't mean that Quick has any more justification for letting a softie in.