HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#19 | New York Islanders vs. Carolina Hurricanes | Nov 13 | 7:00p

Old
11-13-2009, 09:42 PM
danteipp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
It may be like 4cups was saying that Gordon just is resting Tambo and Bailey or he could be sending them a message after the Caps games, but not sure why....

In any event, Jack Hillen is getting a lot better because he is being given the chance to develop and play and I think we need to do that with Tambo and Bailey, sitting Sim should be a no brainer and Schremp is just lucky that Weight went down so he was not waived.
Hopefully he was just resting them up and they weren't feeling sick or weak before game time. The last thing this team needs is for the flu to run rampant on a road trip; where there are already enough distractions, wear and tear from travel. Based on the comments it sounds like Bailey and Tambs should be in for the next game for Shremp and Sim.

danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:51 PM
StylinIsle30

Quote:
True, in hockey or hoops, a 2 on 1 where you draw the player on you, you feed to the other player, but Hunter did the equipment manager a favor and saved Sim a broken stick.
I'll have to look at a replay, but when I was initially watching the play live...I thought the defenseman did a pretty good job of dropping to his knees and getting his stick in the passing lane, thus forcing Hunter to shoot.

Agreed on the general concept, though...if it's a 2-on-1, the pass is usually the better option.

StylinIsle30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
That's right, we should continue to make trades with LA and stay away from Ottawa.
Or Edmonton...

*Author note, do not want to start a Ryan Smith rant

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post

Jack Hillen went to the bench right before a faceoff after at TV time out. An equipment man went to the locker room and came back with new gloves and a new jersey for JH. Any ideas what happened?
He had blood on his jersey and gloves (i believe) and the officials wont let you play with blood on any clothing or equipment.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Or Edmonton...

*Author note, do not want to start a Ryan Smith rant
Whose Ryan Smith?

If you mean Smyth, then lets make some more trades, but Lowe is gone.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:38 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Tavares and Okposo don't want to grow up to be Kane and Toews.
Kane and Toews want to grow up to be Tavares and Okposo.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Randizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSturat View Post
Huuuuuuuuuuubbiiiiiiieeeee.

Now there's a name I have not heard in ages.

Mick (The quick) Vukota - Hubie McDonough - Kenny (Da Bomber) Baumgartner

Now that was a real 4th line...oh my youth

Randizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Isles Junkie

can anyone get the JT bunt goal up on Youtube?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:22 AM
KH1

A few thoughts on the game which I watched earlier tonight:

-John Tavares is really, really good. Catching up to the speed and the the style of the NHL game is not easy, and as any rookie would he's had his bumps in the road. But the fact that he's always in the rightposition to score is incredibly important; there are many things that a coach can teach a rookie, and hockey sense is not one of them. #1 overall for a reason.

-Mark Streit is the best defenseman that the Isles have had in a long time. He was a little too deliberate getting the puck off of his stick in a few plays tonight, but I think that he more than made up for it. The guy has always been an offensive genius, and seeing him develop a defensive game to match has been great.

-Bruno Gervais has been a huge disappointment. Aside from Streit he was NYI's best defenseman last season, it's really too bad that he hasn't been able to carry his play into '09-'10. Hopefully he gets his **** figured out soon or he'll find himself losing minutes quickly.

-Finally, Kyle Okposo is certainly not the flashiest player on the Isles but he may well be the best. As I noted with Taveres earlier, you can't teach hockey sense but this guy has it. I could not be happier with the effort that Okposo gives night in and night out.

Overall I feel like management has sold this Isles team out a little bit; they spend to the cap floor and nothing else, not really putting them in position to succeed. But the players have done a nice job keeping this interesting. The Isles aren't the best team in hockey (not by a long, long, long, long shot) but they compete every night and I can't ask for much more than that from the players right now.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
After looking solid last year Gervais has been terrible so far this year.
Agreed. Gervais has been brutal. He must have flubbed clearing the puck 3 or 4 times on that Gleason goal.

I'll also agree with the general consensus here that Hillen has been a pleasant surprise. He makes good decisions, is adequate along the boards despite his lack of size, and gets the puck to the net. When he shoots, it always seems to cause some chaos in front of the opposition. He might be a poor man's Rafalski if he continues to make strides.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
A few thoughts on the game which I watched earlier tonight:

-John Tavares is really, really good. Catching up to the speed and the the style of the NHL game is not easy, and as any rookie would he's had his bumps in the road. But the fact that he's always in the rightposition to score is incredibly important; there are many things that a coach can teach a rookie, and hockey sense is not one of them. #1 overall for a reason.

-Mark Streit is the best defenseman that the Isles have had in a long time. He was a little too deliberate getting the puck off of his stick in a few plays tonight, but I think that he more than made up for it. The guy has always been an offensive genius, and seeing him develop a defensive game to match has been great.

-Bruno Gervais has been a huge disappointment. Aside from Streit he was NYI's best defenseman last season, it's really too bad that he hasn't been able to carry his play into '09-'10. Hopefully he gets his **** figured out soon or he'll find himself losing minutes quickly.

-Finally, Kyle Okposo is certainly not the flashiest player on the Isles but he may well be the best. As I noted with Taveres earlier, you can't teach hockey sense but this guy has it. I could not be happier with the effort that Okposo gives night in and night out.

Overall I feel like management has sold this Isles team out a little bit; they spend to the cap floor and nothing else, not really putting them in position to succeed. But the players have done a nice job keeping this interesting. The Isles aren't the best team in hockey (not by a long, long, long, long shot) but they compete every night and I can't ask for much more than that from the players right now.
The Isles' record could be quite different know if he buried a few of those close calls...he's adjusting quite well.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Clearing pucks out of their own zones remains the greatest deficiencey in this team's game.

It just doesn't go away and if they could finally get a handle on that, then they'd relieve themselves of so much pressure and at the same time, prevent the opponent from finding it's groove.

It should be about the easiest thing to alter in a team's game, but they haven't done it yet after 18 games.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote