HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Rank 10th in revenue once again - 2009 Forbes Report.

Old
11-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Griminald

vCash: 500
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/31/...ls_313149.html

We were 18th on Forbes' list in 2006.

Quote:
2-Yr Value Chg. 19%
Ann. Value Chg. NA
Debt/Value 53%
Revenue $62 mil
Operating Inc. $-6.7 mil
Player Expenses $46 mil
Gate Receipts $32 mil
Rangers and Flyers are paying out $61M and $62M out in player expenses, while we have $46M on our payroll. Not a bad use of our money.

Average Ticket price is $57 this year, and was $55 in 2006.

Avg. Ticket price of the Top 9 before us on the 2009 list:
(Our gate receipts on the 2009 list: $43M)

9. Vancouver: $63 ($55M in gate receipts)
8. Dallas: $50 (Gate: $35M)
7. Chicago: $46 (Gate: $44M)
6. Boston: $61 (Gate: $46M)
5. Philly: $60 (Gate: $52M) (Note: It was $55/ticket in 2006)
4. Detroit: $58 (Gate: $58M)
3. Montreal: $67 (Gate: $63M)
2. NY Rangers: $55 (Gate: $63M) (NOTE: it was $45/ticket in 2006)
1. Toronto: $92 (Gate: $77M)

Our ticket prices are right up there with the rest of the Top 10, mostly a bit cheaper -- I know the gate revenue takes playoffs into consideration as well, but figured it's interesting to throw up there.

Last edited by Griminald: 11-13-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Griminald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Devils Dominion
Pivotal offseason

If we get a long playoff run this season think of the revenue that can be generated.
The numerous bars in The Rock are cash cows alone.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
kilxler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
You're wasting your time.

The consensus among the fanboys here is that if you're a REAL NJD fan, you preach the EXCUSE of "expensive tickets". Despite the fact that nobody here has come up with what should be considered a fair ticket price, let alone those who seem to demand Tampa Bay or Phoenix ticket prices for a NJD team team that is a perennial contender at or near the salary cap ceiling, in the extremely expensive/high cost of living Northeast U.S.

Not to mention the ones who took 1 or 2 marketing classes in college and have all of sudden become experts in "marketing", because after all, we supposedly have bad "marketing". Winning is everything, except here in NJ of course. And for those who bring up the Atlanta Braves and not selling out certain playoff games, they were #1, #2, or #3 in National League regular season attendance for a good portion of a decade and a half. Look it up at Baseball Reference. We were never near that. That's of course because we have expensive tickets and bad marketing.

Oh, and one more thing. "Arena location". If only we could get out of the Meadowlands dump and build a beautiful, state of the art, brand new arena in a big city near one of the busiest train stations in North America, we'd sell out every night!

I wish people would stop making excuses and accept this franchise for what it is: a money maker with a passionate but mediocre sized fan base that seems to be growing, especially amongst the young.
I think that's a very fair assessment.

Definitely growing. We technically are still a baby in this league. You have to give a franchise at least 50 years to get a real good base of fans. The kids from the 80's are growing up and now are slowly becoming season ticket holders. All in time. I think the Devils Marketing is doing a great job and putting us fans in the right direction.

kilxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilxler View Post
I think that's a very fair assessment.

Definitely growing. We technically are still a baby in this league. You have to give a franchise at least 50 years to get a real good base of fans. The kids from the 80's are growing up and now are slowly becoming season ticket holders. All in time. I think the Devils Marketing is doing a great job and putting us fans in the right direction.
We have among the best marketing in pro team sports:

-a team that is a perennial winner and the free publicity that comes with it

-a state of the art, fan friendly arena at a location adequate to all modes of transportation

-$10 tickets

-competitively priced tickets for those who complain about lower bowl high ticket prices

-a website and automatic email updates that offer 40-50% off ticket prices

That's excellent marketing right there.

Last edited by Muttley*: 11-13-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Quote:
-a team that is a perennial winner and the free publicity that comes with it
Which is still disregarded by the media who still labels them as a boring team that no one enjoys playing for regardless the record (not my words, theirs)

Quote:
-a state of the art, fan friendly arena at a location adequate to all modes of transportation
Yet for some reason some people think we STILL play in East Rutherford. Why is that?

Quote:
-$10 tickets
Should be sold like normal tickets instead of 2 hours before gametime(except for rivalry, marquee games

Quote:
-competitively priced tickets for those who complain about lower bowl high ticket prices
$35 upstairs and $60 in the balcony for pete's sake isn't good marketing. They improved somewhat, but they can do better.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
Which is still disregarded by the media who still labels them as a boring team that no one enjoys playing for regardless the record (not my words, theirs)

Yet for some reason some people think we STILL play in East Rutherford. Why is that?

Should be sold like normal tickets instead of 2 hours before gametime(except for rivalry, marquee games

$35 upstairs and $60 in the balcony for pete's sake isn't good marketing. They improved somewhat, but they can do better.
Thanks, but that's nothing but excuses. This is what I was talking about. If they gave away all the tickets for free and still can't fill the house, most of you still would come up with excuses.

And please name a fair ticket price while you're at it.

Old
11-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Devils Dominion
Pivotal offseason

Quote:
Thanks, but that's nothing but excuses. This is what I was talking about. If they gave away all the tickets for free and still can't fill the house, most of you still would come up with excuses.

I think a few sections should be adjusted.

1. Balconies should be $40 face value all the time
2. The lower levels at $115 should go to $85 face
3. The Club Seats should go to $150 face, they do not all sell out
4. The upper level middle at $35 is ok, but upper level sides should be $25
5. Restaurant Ledge seating should be $150

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Quote:

If they give away free tickets for every seat and still can't fill the house they deserve to be contracted. But my rebuttals, esp. the first 2, are more factual than excuses. Why are we still labeled as a boring, stale insignificant franchise by everybody in the media despite our success? Why do some folks still think we play "in the swamp"?

You want fair prices? Fine. They should never of jacked upstairs to $35. Either leave it the way it was, or raise it slightly. The balconies should range from $35-40 and not a cent higher. Just my 2 cents.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
I think a few sections should be adjusted.

1. Balconies should be $40 face value all the time
2. The lower levels at $115 should go to $85 face
3. The Club Seats should go to $150 face, they do not all sell out
4. The upper level middle at $35 is ok, but upper level sides should be $25
5. Restaurant Ledge seating should be $150
O.K. but I can guarantee you people would still say $40, $85, $150, $25 & $125 tickets are too expensive. It's like getting stuck in a loop and where does it end?

For a family of 5 siting in those upper lever sides at the $25 you suggest, that would cost $125 instead of $175. Still an expensive night out for a family of 5 as they would feel that $125 hurts almost as much as $175.

The lower prices sounds very noble, but I doubt you would see an increase in attendance as they can still be considered too expensive.

This is where the problem lies. What is considered a fair ticket price and how low can you go?

And while we're at it, I'd like someone to name a an NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB team located in the Northeast U.S. that has relatively cheap ticket prices as compared to their peers outside of the area. And the team needs to meet the the criteria of having a perennial winner and be at the salary cap ceiling and not a be a lottery team that trades away stars to lower its team payroll and then gives out tickets for $7 to try to win back fans.

Last edited by Muttley*: 11-13-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old
11-14-2009, 12:43 PM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Tickets in some sections may be expensive but the Devils have the best deal in all of sports, I think. My father and I get the cheapest seats available ($15.00 now) and make reservations in the restaurent. We get the buffet for $40 or so to cover the minumum so we get awesome seats and food for most of the game for about $55.00. I do not think there is a better deal out there. Its good to see the franchise can have great deals and still generate revenue.

And wow, 112 % debt ratio? Ouch. I hope that gets paid off!

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote