HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Juraj Mikus?

Old
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Tonka
Diggles

vCash: 500
Juraj Mikus?

How is this guy (asking anybody who watches the Marlies)?

He was 5th round selection in 2007. Leads all Marlies D with 2 G, 3 A, 12 PIM, +1 currently, 20 years old.

Seems to have good height since he's 6'4.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Joey Hoser

Word is he's doing pretty well for the Marlies. Came as a surprise to me, as the times I've seen him in the rookie tournaments the past two years, he was nothing short of terrible.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Man Bear Pig

Never seen him play but Burke mentioned him a few times so I'd assume there's some potential for a callup at some point. Age is on his side.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:15 PM
daftbuffoon

Juraj has great offensive instincts.

Very good shot and likes to slip in the slot,get the pass and wire it.

Average at best defensively.

Needs to get stronger and better learn the overall North American game.

Very decent skill set is there which cannot be taught.....defense on the other hand is learnable.

I think this kid , once he gets stronger of course has a decent shot at the NHL.

daftbuffoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Tonka
Diggles

It'd be awesome to see if he puts up 50 points if possible in the AHL. Stats-wise, he seems like a player that has great potential, at 20.

Funny how Canadiens drafted a player with the same name lol.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Dark Passenger

This kid looks like a bit of a sleeper to make it one day. I saw him the prospects game and he looked ok, but he had a really good pre-season, had his best game vs the Penguins. If he can build up his strength and improve defensive zone coverage, he has a good chance to make it.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:48 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

In the few games I've seen on the Marlies I thought he was pretty poised with the puck.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
ukleafsfan

I saw him play pre-season v Hamilton and he really stood out, first thing I noticed was the size of the guy, really big and if he can put a little more weight should be able to use it to his advantage.

He was one of the best players on the ice in the game I watched, stopped a couple of 2 on 1 rushes and moved the puck pretty well, faster than I expected for his size too.

Great that hes only 20, could be a good player in a couple of years

ukleafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
If he can improve his athletic ability, shed some fat gain some muscle he can easily be a blue line beat stick.

A Burke baby.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:51 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

the one marlie game i saw:
their best defenseman by far
big with good hands

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I have to say, I never though much of him coming over, so I've never actually focussed on him in any of the games I've seen him (a few preseason games and a couple of marlies games) - but every game I see of him, he ends up standing out as one of the better performers, every time. Always making a very good play or three out there - with good size, mobility, and a knack of getting open offensively, with a wicked little wrister as well.

And he's still very young.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Number13

With late picks like Stralman, Mikus, Holzer and Gunnarsson, (and I think Flaake in the near future) it would be foolish for us to stop drafting euros in the later rounds. Let's hope this whole North American draft this year was isolated because of Burke's first draft, and wanting to get some more North American "meat and potatoes" types in the system. It would be so wasteful and disrespectful to Bergman who has done everything we could possibly ask of him in the past.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

The mobility is the big key to why he's a fascinating prospect. He's got the big body AND he's mobile. NHL people love that combination in their defensemen.

Whether he's going to be a big point producer is highly debatable, he never produced points back in Slovakia. However he was used as an offensive defenseman on their World Junior team. Offense aside, big body, mobility and good puck skills, that usually equals an NHL defenseman.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
tzinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
With late picks like Stralman, Mikus, Holzer and Gunnarsson, (and I think Flaake in the near future) it would be foolish for us to stop drafting euros in the later rounds. Let's hope this whole North American draft this year was isolated because of Burke's first draft, and wanting to get some more North American "meat and potatoes" types in the system. It would be so wasteful and disrespectful to Bergman who has done everything we could possibly ask of him in the past.
Burke should replace Don Cherry not be a hockey GM the best GMs in the NHL draft European players. Drafting based on nationality is not only dumb it's proven not to work. Nationality means nothing in today's hockey world. Look at the top players in the NHL look at the top teams in the NHL. Another foolish drafting strategy almost as bad as giving up top picks.

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
New Liskeard

Nice to see another later round pick showing some promise. Seems the Leafs have a few of those in;

Stalberg
Gunnarsson
Mikus

Interested to see how players like Holzer, Didomenico, Ruegseger (sp) and even Dale Mitchel turn out. Excellent late round drafting IMO

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

One preseason game I thought he started out horribly. He ended up scoring in that game, so perhaps it was nerves. Have to let the young guys play through the nerves.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:28 PM
MLHS Joe C

Dale Mitchell was drafted in the third round. Not exactly late.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:34 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
The mobility is the big key to why he's a fascinating prospect. He's got the big body AND he's mobile. NHL people love that combination in their defensemen.

Whether he's going to be a big point producer is highly debatable, he never produced points back in Slovakia. However he was used as an offensive defenseman on their World Junior team. Offense aside, big body, mobility and good puck skills, that usually equals an NHL defenseman.
Thats not really true, he was quite productive for a defensmen in Slovak juniors. But he had been playing against men for the past 3 years and it is very unusual for a D as young as Mikus to get much points , add to that one of the years he spent with the U20 Slovakia development team and they didnt score much goals at all, so it was hard to get points that way and Dukla Trenčn has been getting worse and worse for the past two years and its not like he logged big minutes there either. But I gotta say that Im definitively surprised at his performances in the AHL.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote