HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla challenged any player on the bench to fight

Old
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I was surprised White didn't answer the call even if he would have probably lost the fight but like you said definitely earned some points from his coach
If it happened in the 3rd, I'm sure the Habs were more concerned with the scoreboard than fighting with Iggy.

It's like Moen or Mara challenging the Calgary bench if McGratton wasn't dressed. In the grand scheme of things it has nothing to do with anything.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Crossbar Ping

Has laraque played this year? Let alone FIGHT this year?

My god montreal is weeeak on the physicality side.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 11-12-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
Has laraque played this year? Let alone FIGHT this year?

My god montreal is weeeak on the physicality side.
Laraque has played in 8 games this season,1 fight on opening night in Toronto.

Also we aren't weak on the physical aspect of the game,you should watch a Habs game before posting

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Crossbar Ping

Um, yes they are. Ask anyone. that calgary game gave me that embarrassing feeling on the inside just by watching .

Only one with cajones is gomez

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Um, yes they are. Ask anyone. that calgary game gave me that embarrassing feeling on the inside just by watching .

I liked how Lapierre and Mara responded to potentially dangerous hits.

Not sure what game you were watching but the Flames did not intimidate the Habs in any way, we just missed too many good scoring chances.(Gomez breakaway, Cammy from the slot, Lapierre with an EN etc).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause it's coming from Laraque himself. He said that he's going only with heavyweights 'cause the other guys won't go with him and he's not going to get some extra penalties for dropping it and start pounding without the other guy doing it as well.

Laraque believes now that his job is a sideshow to hockey. He doesn't believe in momentum. He doesn't believe in the fact that his job might be about going in the opponent's goalie's face, disrupting him, delivering body checks to the good players since they don't want to fight him etc....

Mr. Laraque is there to protect the tough guys for going after our guys. Example: You can bet that he would've gone after McGrattan after the Plekanec hit. But if it doesn't involve tough guys like that, he said that we have other middleweights guys in our team that will take care of that.

Sorry, but it can't be more clear than that.

Iginla Challenged the Bench. This time Laraque would have been receiving a Fax... you don't think he would have answered?

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Yeah and if Laraque was in the lineup/on the bench this thought would never have crossed Iggy's mind.
I agree Iginla doesn't make a declaration like that if Laraque is in the lineup but it just further sheds light on the habs problem that teams don't take them seriously.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Maverik

You guys really think that a player challenging the bench does not happen all the time? I would not say all the time, but it sure ain't the first time it happened.

It's just that this time, it was more visible with Iginla standing there on the red line.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGudge View Post
I'd like to see Iginla try that next time they play Edmonton and Souray is back. I'm sure the Habs fans would love to see Souray bury his fist in Iggies classy face, I know I would.
I'd rather see Iginla split Souray's head open like a pumpkin after halloween.

Souray = Komisarek

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I liked how Lapierre and Mara responded to potentially dangerous hits.

Not sure what game you were watching but the Flames did not intimidate the Habs in any way, we just missed too many good scoring chances.(Gomez breakaway, Cammy from the slot, Lapierre with an EN etc).
What about Ryan White? Got into a scrap and challenged Phaneuf after that.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:15 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post

Souray = Komisarek
Souray would probably ruin Iginlas face, it would look like a bomb went off.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post

Souray = Komisarek
How can you even compare Souray to Komisarek? Souray is 100 times better at fighting and he would beat Iginla unless he has trouble removing his visor.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Souray would probably ruin Iginlas face, it would look like a bomb went off.
Yeah, that wrist-guard Souray always punches with does some damage.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Slippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
I played enough hockey to know what goes on. Plenty of dumbasses play hockey, it doesn't mean every player have to fall to their level.
You see, this "level" that you refer to is skewed. Its the same thing with "class" being completely and misinterpreted by fans. Iginla did nothing "stupid" here. He was intimidating the other bench because that's the kind of player he is. He sticks up for his team and is tough. All I'm saying is that things like this are commonplace in games especially with the intensity and emotion that was going on at the time.

Many people would probably throw away their hockey pyjamas and Habs posters if they had a mic on some all time greats

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post
You see, this "level" that you refer to is skewed. Its the same thing with "class" being completely and misinterpreted by fans. Iginla did nothing "stupid" here. He was intimidating the other bench because that's the kind of player he is. He sticks up for his team and is tough. All I'm saying is that things like this are commonplace in games especially with the intensity and emotion that was going on at the time.

Many people would probably throw away their hockey pyjamas and Habs posters if they had a mic on some all time greats
Sorry but I have to disagree.

What I can accept is two guys spontaneously duking it out for cause out on the ice. It's real. It has a point

This WWF BS of trash talking the bench is just that, trash. It is just as bad as those staged fights you see now and again that invariably ends up in some clutch or wrestling throw after circling each other for a while.

If Iginla wanted a fight he should have done it, not talk about it. He wants it, let him start it. Responding to that trash talk would be just as stupid. I find it hard to believe anybody thinks it is cool on any level. Just dumb macho BS

"You wanna go?"

"Yeah! You wanna Go"

And the dance begins. Ridiculous.

This is the crap that has given fighting a bad name. It is just as embarrassing seeing BGL do the same thing with Lucic last year. "You wanna go"?

And don't bring up the instigator rule. You either have a good reason to fight or you don't. If you can't do the time . . . .

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Seems like Iginla has a different side to the story.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...slam!%20hockey

He definitely said something, but it seems more like trash talk than an open challenge.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Next Best Thing*

That makes a LOT more sense... doesn't anyone think that Martin would have commanded one of the bottom 2 lines players to engage if that were the case? Take Iggy out of 5 minutes? NO BRAINER

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Seems like Iginla has a different side to the story.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...slam!%20hockey

He definitely said something, but it seems more like trash talk than an open challenge.
Good find! I had my doubts right from the beginning but many posters argued with me that "it must be true because Joel Bouchard reported it". I knew Bouchard reported it inaccurately. It just didn't make any sense whatsoever that somebody wouldn't try to get Iginla off the ice for 5 minutes.

Now for a big "boo" to all the bi-polar posters who said our team was soft because of this alleged incident that didn't even occur.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:09 PM
MrNasty

Pretty big blunder by Bouchard. If he wasn't clear what Iggy was saying then he should have just said that I'ggy is yapping at the Habs bench" Something that happens all the time.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:22 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Pretty big blunder by Bouchard. If he wasn't clear what Iggy was saying then he should have just said that I'ggy is yapping at the Habs bench" Something that happens all the time.
Why Bouchard? He didn't make a big story about this. Read the first post:

As per Tony Marinaro on the Team 990, Iginla came up to the Habs bench last night and told the players:

''I will fight any of you now or between now and the end of the game''

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
even if laraque was in the lineup, he would have to get iginla to sign a legal contract which explains his code, then go over it with him word for word... the game would be over by then.
Wow, that sort of joke again..good one. Very creative. People who actually say that stuff repeatedly now every time BGL is brought up with fighting...kinda need to re-consider and just plain stop.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Why Bouchard? He didn't make a big story about this. Read the first post:

As per Tony Marinaro on the Team 990, Iginla came up to the Habs bench last night and told the players:

''I will fight any of you now or between now and the end of the game''
How would Tony even know what was truly said out there? He talks a lot that guy.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post

No need for this kind of stuff. That's my opinion, the best intimidators are those that do it on the ice with the way they play. Anyway, it seems Iginla didn't even say that. Even if he did, those who don't fight wouldn't have feel concerned by this invitation and those who fight may have responded, depending on the coach. I'm sure that stuff doesn't intimidate anyone, it just brings ridicule over the guy that challenges.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
How would Tony even know what was truly said out there? He talks a lot that guy.
Because he has a ''source''.

I like Tony, he can say some good stuff, but whenever he has something to report from his ''source'', I'm always very skeptical.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:20 PM
mcphee

Quote:

what is the purpose of the 'um' in your comment ? 'ask anyone' convinced me though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote