HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Is Kessel about to be "Sundined"?

Old
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaiming93 View Post
Am I the only one who sees Bozak as probably being the best available centre to play with Kessel? He's known for his playmaking and vision. That's what Kessel needs right now.

All our other centres are average playmakers at best, and that's being generous.

If it's a cap issue, fix it I don't care. Bozak could be the answer, or at least a decent stop gap.
so your best choice for an elite center is someone who may never have a regular spot on an NHL team? good god

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:58 PM
noobman

Can we please never compare Phil Kessel to Mats Sundin again?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
yeah, Modin was so bad that he ended up a first line winger on a cup winner.
to be fair Zeke, he never lived up to expectations while in TO. what he did beyond TO isn't really part of the discussion.

Old
11-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Can we please never compare Phil Kessel to Mats Sundin again?
the comparision was on the players around them, not comparing their skill or anything

Old
11-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Canad93

I think the Kessel situation was made at a bad time. It's a rare opportunity for sure, to be able to capitalize on a young RFA situation like that, but it came at a bad time transitionally for the team. In getting Kessel, we gave up our two best chances of getting star players to play with him. So, yes, we've got him, but now what? Now we're a bad team with one good player.
I think that unless Burke can pull off a miracle, he is destined to be 'Sundined', or left at the mercy of whichever UFA forwards we can manage to get at discount rate for a while. We don't have very good building blocks, and we've lost the assets that would lead to those building blocks. With Burke's drafting, we might have good depth down the road but we're short on star power, which is the only thing I see wrong with the Kessel trade. Poor timing for the organization as a whole.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
I think the Kessel situation was made at a bad time. It's a rare opportunity for sure, to be able to capitalize on a young RFA situation like that, but it came at a bad time transitionally for the team. In getting Kessel, we gave up our two best chances of getting star players to play with him. So, yes, we've got him, but now what? Now we're a bad team with one good player.
I think that unless Burke can pull off a miracle, he is destined to be 'Sundined', or left at the mercy of whichever UFA forwards we can manage to get at discount rate for a while. We don't have very good building blocks, and we've lost the assets that would lead to those building blocks. With Burke's drafting, we might have good depth down the road but we're short on star power, which is the only thing I see wrong with the Kessel trade. Poor timing for the organization as a whole.
I hate trading picks but the Kessel trade is what it is, and at the very worst we've lost 2 building blocks to get one sure block. At the moment Kessel is performing about the rate I'd want a Taylor Hall to, so whatever is happening with him is acceptable to me.

The real test Burke faces now is whether he can add to this core by pulling a rabbit or two out of his hat. Maybe we drive down the value of our players in this town by always pissing and moaning, I don't know, but traditionally, the Leafs get very poor value in any trade. Burke's real test is to see if he can pull off something like Zhitnik for Braydon Coburn like Paul Holmgren was able to, or something to that affect to really steal an asset or two.

Who knows where it will go? In Vancouver Burke spun his wheels for years with Bertuzzi, Naslund and Cloutier and didn't add a lot of scoring depth or find proper goaltending. Hope that doesn't happen here.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:46 AM
tzinc

kessel is going to be sundined - he will lack quality players to play with because>

-leafs dont have the picks to get quality players for a long time

-they dont have players to make trades for quality players except kabs

-burke lacks the ability to judge quality players from bad eg. exelby komi beaucheman so leafs wont sign the FAs they should or make the trades they should

-burke's emphasis on non-europeans and truculence wont lead to getting quality players

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
kessel is going to be sundined - he will lack quality players to play with because>

-leafs dont have the picks to get quality players for a long time

-they dont have players to make trades for quality players except kabs

-burke lacks the ability to judge quality players from bad eg. exelby komi beaucheman so leafs wont sign the FAs they should or make the trades they should

-burke's emphasis on non-europeans and truculence wont lead to getting quality players
It won't be that bad in the extreme long run... In June 2012 when we make our next first round pick, Kessel's going to be 24.

Old
11-15-2009, 12:53 AM
tzinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It won't be that bad in the extreme long run... In June 2012 when we make our next first round pick, Kessel's going to be 24.
lol with only 2 or 3 years left on his deal

and the team 2 years behind due to missing picks

Old
11-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
lol with only 2 or 3 years left on his deal

and the team 2 years behind due to missing picks
I like picks as much as anybody, but the Leafs wouldn't be nearly as awful as they are now if they just went out and targeted some skill every once in a while on the UFA market, or didn't move kids like Stralman away.

Old
11-15-2009, 01:04 AM
tzinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I like picks as much as anybody, but the Leafs wouldn't be nearly as awful as they are now if they just went out and targeted some skill every once in a while on the UFA market, or didn't move kids like Stralman away.
i mentioned that Burke's trades and FA signing were not good maybe this team could survive without so many picks but it can't survive bad trades FA signings and no picks

there is no guarantee burke has made the right picks schenn and kadri either but the higher the pick the less likely a team can screw it up

Old
11-15-2009, 04:38 AM
Fredrik_71

There is another aspect of this thread. With Mats management could pretty much do anything until he obviously blew up after 13 years. I do not think Kessel will have the same patience. Its of utter importance that management take care of the guy. Otherwise he will pull a Heatley on us.

/Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote