HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kostitsyn Brothers

Old
11-15-2009, 12:29 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Kostitsyn Brothers

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...49631-sun.html

That link goes to a rumor that the Rangers are having discussions about acquiring both brothers. Thoughts?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
They will probably offer McDonagh back...
...and Higgins.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:32 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Knowing Gainey when he needs a defensemen badly and wants to get rid of a talent filled but problem ridden forward :

Kostitsyn brothers+2nd rounder

for

Rozsival+Brashear+3rd rounder

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:35 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingKostitsyn View Post
Knowing Gainey when he needs a defensemen badly and wants to get rid of a talent filled but problem ridden forward :

Kostitsyn brothers+2nd rounder

for

Rozsival+Brashear+3rd rounder

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm

Its tough to gauge their value, especially considering I dont watch the Habs play all that often but I would imagine Sergei's is very little. The Rangers have a lot of depth players so who knows.

Old
11-15-2009, 12:38 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

Its tough to gauge their value, especially considering I dont watch the Habs play all that often but I would imagine Sergei's is very little. The Rangers have a lot of depth players so who knows.
Question is....who would be on the block from a NYR standpoint?

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:41 AM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Higgins and callahan

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Higgins and callahan
I would doubt it. I would think some prospects would be going the other way. Someone like Mike Sauer I would think would interest the Habs after losing McDonagh. He is projected to be a solid defensive defenseman who plays pretty physical with good size 6'3 210. He is a former second round pick but he has had some injury issues but looks to be healthy this season. Many thought he would make the team this season but Torts was only looking for a couple of offensive d-men and found them in MDZ and Gilroy.

Old
11-15-2009, 12:48 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Send them back Gomez for Higgins and McDo

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:55 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

If it can help Rangers fans determine what we'd like back we need :

1. Secondary scoring : we're not terrible at center for once, obviously we'd take take Dubinski but I doubt you'd let us. Wingers that can play top6 are what is needed most. Your team seems to have trouble too at that position however with Callahan seemingly underachieving and Higgins struggling (that guy is a mystery ).

2. Some defensive help : our d-corp was decimated so an NHL ready d-man could help. I'm unsure if trading for a d-man is a good idea however since our injured guys will come back eventually and we'll just need even more secondary scoring once AK46 is gone.

3. Goalies : I wouldn't mind Lundqvist, we can throw in Halak if needed

Old
11-15-2009, 12:59 AM
NewHabsEra*

I would get Higgins back at this point, half joking..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:04 AM
MathMan

Gainey should be preparing for next year, not trading the future for wisps of hope at saving this cursed mess of a season. Don't expect him to swing a big deal for a D unless the D is both young and signed or RFA for a while.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:05 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingKostitsyn View Post
If it can help Rangers fans determine what we'd like back we need :

1. Secondary scoring : we're not terrible at center for once, obviously we'd take take Dubinski but I doubt you'd let us. Wingers that can play top6 are what is needed most. Your team seems to have trouble too at that position however with Callahan seemingly underachieving and Higgins struggling (that guy is a mystery ).

2. Some defensive help : our d-corp was decimated so an NHL ready d-man could help. I'm unsure if trading for a d-man is a good idea however since our injured guys will come back eventually and we'll just need even more secondary scoring once AK46 is gone.

3. Goalies : I wouldn't mind Lundqvist, we can throw in Halak if needed
HA!

Alright, some players that pop into my head as I read your list:

Sauer - defensive d-men, 22 years old, see above for description

Heikenen- good all-around d-man, 25, just signed over the offseason from Finland, he took some time to get used to the NA game but he looks very very good in AHL right now.

Potter- good all-around d-man, 25, has regressed a bit and may have been overtaken by some players like Sanguinetti but he played 3 games last season and didnt look out of place. He could be a bottom-pairing d-man right now.

Parenteau- offensive forward, 26, has dominated the AHL for the past 3-4 years and has recently been up with the Rangers this season. He has been playing very well and has a goal in 3 games. He would need to be a top-9 player(read non-checking role) as his defensive game isnt the best but he does work hard and has good creativity. Relatively slow footspeed(which is what has kept him out of the NHL up to this point) but he definitely knows what to do with the puck when he gets it.

Dupont- all around forward, 22, can play center or wing, has good size and plays with a lot of energy. He will drop the gloves if need be and has shown some offense in the AHL and is still growing that part of his game. He will most likely be a bottom-6 forward but he brings a lot of energy and grit.

I dont see many players on the NHL squad that they would want to move, Callahan was recently given the A, so I doubt he is moving. Higgins has been playing much better and is filling in as a center. The organization is very high on Lisin and I doubt Dubinsky is going anywhere. From there, I am not sure who they would be interested(Anisimov is obviously off-limits).

Old
11-15-2009, 01:06 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Gainey should be preparing for next year, not trading the future for wisps of hope at saving this cursed mess of a season. Don't expect him to swing a big deal for a D unless the D is both young and signed or RFA for a while.
Thats what I hope. Trading for a temporary fix would be insane. I hate to be a negativist at this time of year but we'll probably be sellers at the deadline.

Old
11-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Adam91

A package with Callahan or Dubinsky would be nice.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:11 AM
emb24*

i can definitely see gainey wanting higgins back. if some of the rumors are untrue - then he fits right back with pleks..he would also be a good pickup to play with gomez and gio

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:32 AM
JackZap

I dont blame Sather for trying to trade with Gainey, hes screwed us once, might as well try for two!

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:06 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
I dont blame Sather for trying to trade with Gainey, hes screwed us once, might as well try for two!

Done already, forget where we got Kovalev from ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Don't agree to prepare for future yet.

Temporary fix is not the solution, In D O'Byrne and Gill will help.
BTW, did anyone saw how Bergeron defense is much better with Leach?

We will know very fast if we are seller at trade deadline...
December will tell us where we are.
But the teams who will be buyers will most likely not have interesting choices (top-10).
we don't really have much to "sell"...

pleks? mara? gill?

as far as guy that would be attractive to a team looking to bolster their team for a playoff run, most of our players are either on terrible contracts or too young and ineffective to be of much interest to a playoff team looking to get that little bit to put them over the top.

but if we did manage to unload a player or two, we don't necessarily need to get a pick back, getting a good young prospect can be good value as well... also, "they" are saying that this will be the deepest draft talent pool since the 2003 season. If that is true, having an extra pick in the first round could be hugely valuable (philly got Carter and Richards with the 11th/24th picks in 03)

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:51 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Done already, forget where we got Kovalev from ?
true, guess we even now

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:35 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Heikenen
I really like this player, especially at 4:34 AM .. he is funny

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:42 AM
la25ecoupe

just call the bro up already

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
just call the bro up already
Yeah really...could we give him a few games in the NHL to see where thing go? You've sent your message, if he could get andrei going and complete our second line ****ing do it already.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 06:26 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
That wasn't a screw. That was a gang ****.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Ola

If Slats move Rozsival we need a D-men in return -- we already have two rooks on the blueline and no 7th D.

I wouldn't be shocked if Slats were willing to move Higgins back to MTL. Higgins is struggling under Torts.

Whats Gill's status? Maybe he could be a fit for Torts, a defensive D who still can pass the puck -- to some extent at least... Mara is never coming back to NY. Torts have dumped him twice already.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
If Slats move Rozsival we need a D-men in return -- we already have two rooks on the blueline and no 7th D.

I wouldn't be shocked if Slats were willing to move Higgins back to MTL. Higgins is struggling under Torts.

Whats Gill's status? Maybe he could be a fit for Torts, a defensive D who still can pass the puck -- to some extent at least... Mara is never coming back to NY. Torts have dumped him twice already.
I don't think we'd take Rozsival, because of his contract... I agree that the value of both K is not at an all time high right now, but they still have some value, and if Tort just manage to get Andrei going, you have a VERY skilled player...

I wouldn't mind Higgins back, at least he could play the same speed as Gomez and Gionta, and Gill, well, he's hurt for the moment, and as much as I hate his footspeed, I actually like what he can do within his limits, clear the front of the net... been a while we had somebody willing to do that...

Anyway, all hypothetic, I'd really like Dubinsky back... would be exactly the kind of player we need, but I know he might be 'untouchable'

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote