HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

I know it's early, but...

Old
11-14-2009, 02:05 PM
On Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I would agree about corvo and campbell but disagree about McCabe, he is decent defensively and his problems seem to come from a lack of concentration rather then an uncorrectable deficiency.

McCabe???? Yikes no thanks. How long has this guy been in the league to correct his "deficiencies"?

I think a "lack of concentration" deficiency after 10 or so years in the league are by now permanent and uncorrectable.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Here are the guys that are worth checking into their availability:

Corvo
McCabe
C. Phillips

Kaberle
Like your middle two names a lot, though I wonder about their respective team's incentive to move them. Respectfully, I believe that the negative impressions of McCabe are overstated and frankly, a bit outdated. Likewise, I'd LOVE to have Phillips eating 25-30 minutes a game on the backline, instead of what is out there now. I wouldn't touch Corvo with a ten-foot pole.

Much as I love Niedermayer, also agree with the idea that he would announce his retirement the minute NYI acquired him.

I suspect he may be headed to NJD at the deadline, if Lou thinks his team is a contender in the East (they are, IMO) and the Ducks are not, in the West (remains to be seen).

Last edited by Trottier: 11-14-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:12 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Like your middle two names a lot, though I wonder aobut their respective team's incentive to move them.

Much as I love Niedermayer, also agree with the idea that Niedermayer would announce his retirement the minute NYI acquired him.

I suspect he may be headed to NJD at the deadline, if Lou thinks his team is a contender in the East (they are, IMO) and the Ducks are not, in the West (remains to be seen).
I have to say I'm shocked that Anaheim hasn't been winning games. Their biggest need may be a top-6 winger with a lefty shot, but otherwise they look lost without Chris Pronger. Maybe they made a mistake trading him. I guess you were right in your season preview Trotts

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
guys on d i would like are corvo, mccabe and barker. i looked up barker on yahoo and was concerned/worried about his TOI. i looked at 4 games i think and his highest was 14 minutes. thats not good at all. seabrook,keith and cambell make up the bullk of TOI on d there. on offense i would like fabian brunnstrom. i think he is struggling there based on his stats and he is young too. would be a great addition if you ask me.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
McCabe???? Yikes no thanks. How long has this guy been in the league to correct his "deficiencies"?

I think a "lack of concentration" deficiency after 10 or so years in the league are by now permanent and uncorrectable.

It depends. I mean fanning on a puck is something that just happens. He also tends to lock a little on the puck handler and thats partially the only reason he ever gets out of position. Other then that his game is sound. When those things happen they appear to be terrible but they are not that bad.

I'm sure coaches have gone over this **** with him over and over but maybe a different voice will pound it in to him. It would be super interesting to see if Gordon gets to him, according to Witt he uses different keys from any coach he has played for to cycle down low defensively. Maybe these keys will keep him in position and keep him from "locking."

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
I have to say I'm shocked that Anaheim hasn't been winning games. Their biggest need may be a top-6 winger with a lefty shot, but otherwise they look lost without Chris Pronger. Maybe they made a mistake trading him. I guess you were right in your season preview Trotts
Too early to take credit, but you don't lose a future Hall of Fame dman who gives you 30 minutes nightly and not feel the effect.

Old
11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
guys on d i would like are corvo, mccabe and barker. i looked up barker on yahoo and was concerned/worried about his TOI. i looked at 4 games i think and his highest was 14 minutes. thats not good at all. seabrook,keith and cambell make up the bullk of TOI on d there. on offense i would like fabian brunnstrom. i think he is struggling there based on his stats and he is young too. would be a great addition if you ask me.
I'm sure the Hawks would want someone with an expiring contract or prospects/picks for Barker. I'd give up our 2nd and PHO 3rd for him.

Old
11-14-2009, 02:22 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Too early to take credit, but you don't lose a future Hall of Fame dman who gives you 30 minutes nightly and not feel the effect.
I agree, but I thought they made up for it with the additions of Whitney, Eminger, and Wisniewski. Although I did think when they traded Pronger it meant they went into rebuild.

Old
11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
I agree, but I thought they made up for it with the additions of Whitney, Eminger, and Wisniewski. Although I did think when they traded Pronger it meant they went into rebuild.
Never confuse quantity with quality, 723.

It's why I always laugh when I see trade proposals on the main board like "Pens should trade Malkin for two super wingers!" Imagine how stacked the Pens would be!"

Pronger impacts a game. Those three guys fill space. Whitney, to be sure, is a gifted offensive dman. But he is galaxies removed from Pronger. Wis is respectable, but frankly both he and Eminger are eminently ordinary.

Did I read an NYI fan talking smack about NYR elsewhere in this post? Did I read that Okposo - on track for another 18 goal season - is a future "gamebreaker"? Or that NYR's D is overrated, compared to Witt/Sutton? Reality check: NYR is not going to win the Cup. And NYI has indeed played encouraging hockey for the last three weeks. However, that team currently remains superior to NYI, without question. What next? NJD doesn't have young superstars to compete with JT and KO?

Old
11-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

i like the idea of supplementing at some point this seaon. key to it is to either beat other teams to the punch before the crush of deadline deals makes you do something foolish.
that said, i don't believe we will be able to get a number 1 type guy without paying aa steep price. in fact, i know it. doesn't sound smart at a time when the team could have a couple of bad weeks and slip right out of contention...

we need a modern day KJ (he of the eggshell skull) or even (going back here) Uwe Krupp. KJ-types will cost you plenty. Uwe-types can play a steady backend game, have reach, and still make a pass when you need. He wasn't all that physical though. (That's what Witt and Sutton are for, though you can nver have enough)...

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 07:56 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Much as I love Niedermayer, also agree with the idea that he would announce his retirement the minute NYI acquired him.
One thing....I have nt seen either Neidermeyer brother cry.

Yet.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Like your middle two names a lot, though I wonder about their respective team's incentive to move them. Respectfully, I believe that the negative impressions of McCabe are overstated and frankly, a bit outdated. Likewise, I'd LOVE to have Phillips eating 25-30 minutes a game on the backline, instead of what is out there now. I wouldn't touch Corvo with a ten-foot pole.

Phillips would be nice. Physical shutdown guy, would like nice with Streit.

McCabe, eh. Great shot, decent defensive play, physical, but I don't like his foot spead. At that price I don't think he'd be a good fit. I'd rather take a flyer on Campbell in the offseason if they want to dump his contract. More expensive, but a better player.

As for Nieds, not in a million year. Islanders dont have the assets nor can they afford to get a guy who won't resign/may retuire, just a bad fit for both sides. NJ would be a great fit. They could could use a game breaker back there. Not sure if I think they are contendors. Very ordinary blueline and questionable offensive support. One or the other is fine, but not both. Not with Pittsburgh and Philly.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
First, Snow needs to get rid of Biron asap and maximize the assets for him.
Yes, because trading a player in November, with no backup in place, is certainly the way to maximize his value. All aboard the failtrain.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:12 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Interesting how when pronger leaves a team it struggles, yet the acquiring team does the complete opposite.

And the fodder in the middle for the acquisition(s) have yet to make an impact similar or above that of pronger.

...But as long as that team overpaid or was powned!

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Phillips would be nice. Physical shutdown guy, would like nice with Streit.
A lot of Isles fans, e.g., Crew, here have been commenting on NYI needing to add two quality dmen next offseason. Though, for the right price, I'd love to add an element of breakaway speed (Kariya) and/or disruptive grit (Raffi Torres?) up front via free agency next summer, I agree that the first priority should be on defense.

Many, many months away, so much can (and likely will) change. But as of today, my strategy would be to target Dan Hamhuis in free agency and approach Ottawa regarding Phillips. The latter would be especailly hard to acquire, and would require giving up assets (horrors!) in return. Hamhuis would cost $$$, but such is life - You want to constantly bargain hunt, you'll win nothing in this league.

However, especially if you are going to be introducing one, let alone two newbie dmen into the fold over the next couple of years, in addition to the still very green Hillen, you need quality dmen to eat up the big minutes. Both of those guys are reliable, albeit unspectacular, players...and MAJOR upgrades over what currently exits on the backline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Interesting how when pronger leaves a team it struggles, yet the acquiring team does the complete opposite.

And the fodder in the middle for the acquisition(s) have yet to make an impact similar or above that of pronger.

...But as long as that team overpaid or was powned!
Older and expensive automatically means "bad" in the fictional land of HF. It's humorous to read, really.

Old
11-15-2009, 03:00 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Older and expensive automatically means "bad" in the fictional land of HF. It's humorous to read, really.

Has anyone seen Doug Weight recently, Trotts?

Old
11-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

Has anyone seen Doug Weight recently, Trotts?
And what's a young Carrot Top doing with him?

Old
11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
And what's a young Carrot Top doing with him?
He's still in the business and bald now.....I guess his role in Can't Buy Me Love didn't get him an Academy Award?