HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers talking to Montreal about the Kostitsyn bros

Old
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
This is my favorite from the Montreal board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
This starts with Anisimov and Callahan.

I'd give them Roszival and Higgins, but nothing more. The last thing we need is more players who don't have their heads on straight.

If they're interested in him, SKost to Edmonton for a d-man like Smid.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
ThirdEye

I can see Sauer being dealt because there is simply no room for him on this team, and there is no way he'll get a call up over Sanguinetti if a defenseman goes down. How about Sauer for S. Kostitsyn? Montreal could easily end up winning that deal

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
3 rookie defensemen (and ones who are pretty similar) is a dangerous prospect.
Typically, i'd agree wholeheartedly with you. But consider that one of the rookies is older than Staal and Girardi, and has been one of our best dmen defensively. I also mentioned Dandenault, who certainly isnt a rookie, and I dont think would have a huge problem filling the 13 minutes a night Rozsival is currently playing.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

I'd give them Roszival and Higgins, but nothing more. The last thing we need is more players who don't have their heads on straight.

Next to Gaborik and Prospal, Higgins has been this team's best forward of late. I wouldn't deal him for those two.

11-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I can see Sauer being dealt because there is simply no room for him on this team, and there is no way he'll get a call up over Sanguinetti if a defenseman goes down. How about Sauer for S. Kostitsyn? Montreal could easily end up winning that deal
Because Sergei is a loon. Andrei is the only one of them thats worth anything.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Typically, i'd agree wholeheartedly with you. But consider that one of the rookies is older than Staal and Girardi, and has been one of our best dmen defensively. I also mentioned Dandenault, who certainly isnt a rookie, and I dont think would have a huge problem filling the 13 minutes a night Rozsival is currently playing.
It's not a question of age. It's a question of experience. Dandenault was available and in Hartford for a reason.

And Rozsival has averaged 17+ minutes a game.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not a question of age. It's a question of experience. Dandenault was available and in Hartford for a reason.

And Rozsival has averaged 17+ minutes a game.
Over the season, yes, and trust me, Ive been defending Rozsival usefulness for a long time. But I dont think he is absolutely irreplaceable for what he is currently being used for.

Unless Rozsival starts being used in special teams situations again, im not terrified at the prospect of being without him. Hes essentially in the Paul Mara role of last season.

Old
11-15-2009, 03:47 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

The idea of getting The Kostitsyn brothers........

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:
Because Sergei is a loon. Andrei is the only one of them thats worth anything.
I respectfully disagree.

-Sergei's a very solid NHL player. Given the chance, he's an extremely good PP player. Last season , before all the drama unfolded in Montreal, for every 60 minutes he was on the ice for the PP, the team scored 9 goals... That was head and shoulders ahead of anyone on the club.

-His brother Andrei lead (with Lang and Koivu) for those Even Strenght stats.

-Sergei also plays the PK and is very solid defensively.

-Sergei being in the AHL is extremely bizarre. Nothing in his play or what we know publicly about his behavior can explain this. IMO, they made a serious mistake taking that decision and I can only come up with management's pride with continuing to fill his spot by a string of incompetent certified AHLers.

-You pick up both and you play both brothers together. They've been very successful together, but for similar murky reasons, it's been rarely done.

-A huge misconception is that they're soft. Andrei is very strong and gives hard bodychecks. Sergei has a mean streak (a poor man's Downey) which can be a good and bad thing.

-Unlike anywhere else in the league, there's a linguistic divide in Montreal. As foreign players that compete for spots with local players, during their stay in Montreal the brothers sometimes fell on the wrong side of the ratings driven populist sports media.

If a team buys low (now is a very good time), a GM might make a killing. Worst case scenario he'll pick up 2 solid NHL forwards

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Big meh from me. I'd offer Rozsival and a mid-round pick. Nothing more

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:20 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Seriously.

Still waiting for a 7th d-man.
That's funny. I'm still waiting for a 5th and 6th.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
eco's bones

On Paul Mara. I'm not a fan. As for those who want to see him return--you can dream but it's a reach. More likely maybe if Slats were to give Tortorella his walking papers which isn't likely at all. Really don't think Torts cares for Mara and that kills that more than anything.

Both Sanguinetti and Heikkinen seem to be pushing for an NHL job. They both seem close. It's a lot of rookies even moving one of them up but they both seem to be making a case for themselves and moving Rozsival not only gets his contract off the books but gives him a new start which IMO would be his best case scenario. There's no way in hell he's ever going to pry the pwpqb job away from MDZ or even Gilroy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Yeah, I don't really want anything to do with those two.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
That's funny. I'm still waiting for a 5th and 6th.
Now now, let's not be mean to Redden and Roszival. We know Redden has been trying harder, but Rozy just can't get a break lol. They are the best we have for a 5th and 6th (3rd pairing).

But in all seriousness, we need a 7th guy.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Redden has been miles better than Marc Staal this season.

Old
11-15-2009, 05:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
please god, no.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:30 PM
NYR Viper

I think Rozsival for the A Kostitsyn would be a good deal right now. Then pull up Heikenen in Rozsival's place and move on from there.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Redden has played well this year. I dont know why people are still so hard on him because at some point you have to throw out your old biased opinions of him and look past what happened last season.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Musto

interesting rumor considering both are wingers (i dont know if they have played center or not).

at this point the ideal movable object up front would be lisin, who, even though i like him, would be nicely replaced by a stronger, grittier AK. lisin's speed and sick skating ability will only add to the type of team montreal seems to be building. it could be said that despite his sub-stellar production his value has actually increased due to the coaching he has been receiving concerning his defensive play.

lisin and roszival for AK could work (rosy's contract gone kind of takes the edge off of redden's, at least for me)

the habs fan said that the bros play well with each other but we already have a logjam of underachieving wingers.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
If this is indeed true maybe Sather and Torts are now concentrating on trying to add to the talent level of this team to replace some grinder-types. Lisin for Korpikoski, adding the Kostitsyn brothers would most likely be a positive in the talent column. All of them came with their problems, Lisin with his defensive-zone coverage and the Kostitsyns with their attitudes.
That'll be the last thing we need on this team. It might cause problems in the room and who knows, they'll probably headbutt with Tortorella and you know where that goes to.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:08 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Buy low. Sergei has a high ceiling, and played with his brother could create a great 2nd PP unit and good scoring depth which we desperately need. This team needs talent.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I might be crazy but I'm fairly confident that Sangs could come in and do what Roszival does without issue. Roszival is not producing and making rookie mistakes fairly often. Why not let a rookie do that for one tenth of the cost?

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:29 PM
trilobyte

Sergei might have a high ceiling, but lots of players have a high ceiling. Potential is always immeasurable, but lets look at what he has done. And how can his attitude be overlooked? Going AWOL when sent to Hamilton is a pretty good indication of where this guy's commitment level is at.

Why invite that kind of a drama queen onto the team? He's not going to do a 180 and become a team kind of guy.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:48 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'd be all for this! I've always liked these guys. I went up to Montreal vs. Leafs game from December 2007 and they both went off! I've liked them since.

I think it could be a good thing for sure.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:

I think there's a happy medium between cally|AA and Rozy|Higgins. But obviously, I'd do the latter in .0230495 seconds.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote